Best tele under 1k?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ac9736, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ac9736

ac9736 Member

What's the best tele for under $1000? Pickups don't concern me so much because I plan to reroute the guitar and put in fralin p90s... But in terms of build quality/playability, which tele would you recommend in the price range?

2. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

Used American Standard should be a good choice for under 1k.

If want to buy new the American Special is just $999 and has the vintage bridge/saddles you may want on a tele. Since you are changing the pickups the Texas Specials on that guitar won't be an issue.

Just notice that the American Special tele have Jumbo frets that are quite big and you may not like!

3. rotlung

rotlung Member

If you're ripping out the electronics, the main things to be concerned with are the neck and finish. So that's all personal preference really. Do you want a BSB blackguard, rosewood board, standout colors, nitro, poly, fret size, neck carve, rolled edges? The Baja is definitely one of the best options for under a grand, but if you're replacing electronics, it's a waste of money.

Fenders teles across the board right now are fantastic, from Squiers to MIM all the way up to custom shop. You can certainly find something great go under a grand, but you haven't provided enough information to go from.

4. wwit

wwit Member

If I was going to buy a Tele and do the same mods as you are planning, I'd pick up either a MIM Blacktop or MIM Standard. Both @ $500 new and great guitars for the money. Either would be a really nice mod platform to start with.

Some may say that the MIC CV or VM would also be the way to go, but I find the necks on them to be undersized, have and odd shape and terribly uncomfortable to play for very long.

5. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

Sounds to me like a partscaster may be the way to go if you are not worried about resale. You can get everything you want well under $1000.
    Just know you will probably need to part it out if you ever sell and may not recover everything you have in it.

6. xXMeebleXx

xXMeebleXx Member

Squier Classic Vibe, I picked one for for $300 out the door. Then upgraded the electronics and saddles and have one great playing and sounding guitar for $500. I would be shocked to find something that is comparable for that price point.

7. paulitk

paulitk Member

Baja. It's the best Mexican made Tele out there. Custom Shop Designed. S-1 switch and same pups as the new American Standards (Twisted/Broadcaster) and a really awesome Fat Neck.

I got mine for $700 new. Probably find a used for $500-$600.

8. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

If you have the skills, a parts guitar is almost always better bang for your buck (resale excepted, of course). Otherwise, depends what you want. If you're looking for vintage/lacquer, you *might* be able to snag an AVRI at or around a grand; barring that, I'd look at the Classic 50s Lacquer. If you want something offbeat, there are some really, really cool G&L options in the used market. If you don't care, just grab a used American Standard.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I'd say find a Cabronita Tele with the Fideli’Tron pickups. From what I understand TV Jones makes a P90 that will fit into the Cabronita rout. That would give you an excellent guitar with the pickup type you want for about $600 without having to do any routing and thus making it easy to return it to stock if you wanted to resell at some point.

10. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Decide on your bridge first, vintage or 6 saddle. Installing P90s means you'll be routing in many cases..puts a different twist on it.

11. Avschad2112

Avschad2112 Supporting Member

G&L ASAT special with mdf pick up, I have no idea how they compare to your P 90s but I love the sound of mine!

[​IMG]

12. monty

monty Member

A lot depends on if you want a modern or classic feel to it.

13. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

2nd vote for Baja. Got mine for 399, used. Can't beat it.

14. Dave1

Dave1 Member

3rd for the Baja. It's an unusually good guitar that's great considering the price. 50's version is better than the 60's.

15. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I agree that it is personal preference. If it was me I'd find a G&L ASAT Korina with P-90s stock.

16. LITHIUM

LITHIUM Member

I have the Baja, 2 tone sunburst, used condition for <550 $. Sounds great, the mics are definitely good and the quality is great. Coming from a Custom 72', the neck isn't that fat.

I love it.

17. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

MIJ Fender all day long.
    I've not played a MIJ Fender anything I didn't like.

18. rotlung

rotlung Member

The Baja isn't that great of a choice if you're going to be replacing the electronics and pickups. The selling points of that guitar are the pickups and neck.

19. Christoph R.

Christoph R. Member

20. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider is great under 1K, I think $800-900. REAL gd deals used.

BUT... the pups are SO bright it needs 250K pots for sure.