Best things to do in Maui

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sundog964, Jul 15, 2019.

1. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Mama's fish House is great as well as Merriman's, which is also next to a great beach to hang out snorkel, etc... can't remember the name.
    If your'e a diver I suggest Mala Pier - not deep but very cool, a little edgy (sharks and rebar and I-beams) but one of the cooler dives I've been on.
    Lots of great snorkeling, just find a beach and go, lots of easy public access.

sundog964 likes this.
  2. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

This. It was 38 degrees up there at 4:30 AM when we went in November. Snorkeling at Turtle Town and Road to Hanna are a must as well. Stop at every stop along the way; especially with a 10 y.o. For a number of the water falls and neat swimming holes, good water shoes are a must. Don't get those cheapies you get at Walmart, but something like Tevas. etc.

A place called Lava Rock is a also a great local restaurant. My kids are picky eaters and they loved the food there. Teriyaki chicken was their go to meal.

On your way to Hanna, detour and check out the surf spot Jaws. You literally need to drive down these shared driveways and then go through some tall grass, but it's cool to see.

If you can swing it, rent a Jeep with a soft or removable top. Driving around HI in a topless Jeep is a cool experience.

The waves won't be big (to their standards) this time of year, but it is one of the world's most famous and dangerous surfing spots.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    sundog964 likes this.
  3. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

A lot of the good stuff is mentioned. You could go check out the Maui Jims home base. And the Kush art gallery. Below Wailea it's a short shot to check out Makena to see how quick it just turns to lavascape.

sundog964 likes this.
  4. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I love: Hiking IAO Needle:
    http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/maui/iao-valley-state-monument/

[​IMG]Iao Needle by CjmG, on Flickr

Wear old sneakers (if you don't have hiking shoes, which you don't need), as they'll get trashed from soil/clay, especially if damp. If really wet/slippery day, tree branches are your best friend as you hike up. Do it!

I Dislike:
    Road to Hana (just don't do it, don't).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    sundog964 likes this.
  5. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Hana. The drive up the Road to Hana alone is worth the trip, with one spectacular view immediately followed by another. Hire an experienced driver, or you’ll miss the views trying not to drive off a cliff.

And there’s a shave ice stand near the top of Hana that is also worth the trip!

BigWave and sundog964 like this.
  6. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

If you got a entire day to kill, I suppose, but being driven or driving 15mph is not relaxing. Also, not many places to turn around and abort trip.

Baxtercat likes this.
  7. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

A must do once. A little tedious twice. Rainbow ecuyliptus trees are outrageous things to see.

BigWave and H. Mac like this.
  8. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

Yeah - all of the above -

However the thing that I remember most: Wife and I were on our way to an early diving trip. Had to be there at like 4:30 in the morning. I stopped the car on the way - it had to be like 3:30 in the morning... Stopped along the beach and just looked at the sky. Full of stars. No city light pollution. You can see the arm of the Milky Way going across. Absolutely stunning.

9. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Great point and so true.

sundog964 likes this.
  10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

11. 335guy

335guy Member

I've snorkeled both locations and found Honolua Bay to be the best, due to it being a marine life conservation district. There is as ton of marine life to view. Sea turtles and schools of fish of all sizes, types and colors. I had a moray eel swim by underneath me by about 5 feet. It's like swimming in an aquarium. Molokini is also cool though.

Baxtercat, sundog964 and Mngwa like this.
  12. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

All depends what you are into. Are you active/healthy/athletic? More into sight seeing?

I haven’t been in summer but.......

A hike/run up Waihee Ridge at sunrise is spectacular on a clear day. Simply not to be missed. Not too far, not too hard, highly recommended.

I would not bother with the road to Hana, but that’s just me. I don’t go to Maui to drive around in a car tbh. That is what you are doing on the road to Hana..... but that said there is cool stuff to see and do if you do go. Black beach being one of them.

You may run into Mick Fleetwood in Lahaina, he has a bar/restaurant there. Lahaina is quite touristy but for good reason, it is the California of Maui if that makes sense.

You may run into Willie in Paia, a really cool hippie town on the north side of the island. Big swells over there in the winter. Very cool place imo.

Kamaole beach I, II or III are very nice, sandy bliss and the surf is very tourist friendly.

Have fun, wish I were going with you.

sundog964 and Vintage_ like this.
  13. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Wowie

No one said this yet? Pshaw.

Dirty_Tones likes this.
  14. NAC25

NAC25 Supporting Member

If you have the coin, try Morimoto. They serve A5 Wagyu and some tasty sushi. We enjoyed our dinner there!

sundog964 likes this.
  15. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Go shopping for Real Estate.

sundog964 likes this.
  16. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

This is actually on our agenda. A friend of my wife worked as a VP for a Fortune 500 company, and retired to Maui 6 years ago. He now has a dozen condos that he has renovated and rents out. Says he makes more than he did as a VP.

We will look, but I don’t think I want to be a long distance landlord.

Hefalump likes this.
  17. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

If you’d like to partake of the local herbal offerings, I image you’d be welcomed in for a neighborly smoke if you happened to stumble upon the home of Wille Nelson, or Woody Harrison, or Billy Kreutzman, or Bill Maher. :) Not sure if any of those guys reside in Maui specifically but all have abodes on one of the Hawaiian islands, and w/ the exception of Maher I believe all are still full time, or mostly full time, residents of Hawaii.

All kidding aside - have a great time on your trip! I’ve been fortunate to vacation on a few of the islands in the Caribbean but have long intended to check out Hawaii. Always intended to make the trek when I lived in the Pacific NW but, unfortunately, never managed to do so. Someday though! :aok

18. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

???

19. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

The Road to Hana has tons of cool stuff along the way. Most people just drive it or, at most, just pull over and look at things from the side of the road. We did a bunch of cool, short hikes, went swimming at super cool beaches and in waterfalls. Make a day of it if you decide to do it and be adventurous!

sundog964 likes this.
  20. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

Restaurants... add Pacific O

Luau...I don't like them but the best is Old Lahaina Luau. Its sold out every night so you need to reserve well in advance.

Hawaiian music....George Kuamoku jr every Wednesday night at Napili Kai Hotel and Resort.

Go on line and check This Week on Maui or pick up a copy at the airport when you arrive.

sundog964 likes this.