Best tone bender clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcormier, Jan 26, 2006.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

Im looking at fulltones soul bender or mabe the throbak stone bender... id just like to hear you opinion on these two pedals and any other tone bender clone...
    Thanks, Maxim Cormier

2. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

Without a thought:dude D*A*M mk11. Its not a clone, its a replica!

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

+100 ABSOLUTELY and don't forget his MkIII 3 knob TB and 1966 Vox Tone Bender...

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

also the PedalworX Bender OVer Under, it does t he vintage stuff and goes farther....

5. RickB

RickB Member

Bob McBroom's BENT that he made for HC a while back. If you can't find one, then his Bender Over Under.

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I haven't heard the D*A*M or Bob McBroom's, but I have the Throbak and love it. In addition to being able to use it stock, it has a pre gain switch that tightens the low end and a hi cut switch. The sounds out of this box are incredible, with the pre gain on and the attack low it can be used as an OD that nails the "Heartbreaker" solo tone, or use it stock for your Led Zep I sounds. The tweaks really make this more than just a clone IMO.:RoCkIn

7. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

mjm britbender (original) sounded pretty great

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

+1 for the Bender Over Under....great Bender clone and alot more as well

9. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

The Fulltone Soul Bender is a clone of the three knob Colorsound MKIII three knob Tone Bender with a feedback bias modification to the circuit. The ThroBak Stone Bender MKII Pro is a clone of the Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII Professional with two switchable modifications.

The MKII and MKIII Tone Benders are completely different circuits. The MKII clones are capable of more outrageous high gain fuzz tones than the MKIII. You can also use the Stone Bender MKII Pro as an overdrive / distortion box with the modifications I added. I think Page used a modified MKII for Led Zeppelin I and II. I won't get into why as it is a long and potentially boring story but suffice it to say that I am convinced that this is the case.