Best tone out of a POS amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OliverGuitars, Dec 24, 2009.

1. OliverGuitars

OliverGuitars Member

I have had many great amps, but along with the good, there was a few bad.

But cheap doesnt always mean bad. I have this soft spot in my heart for the worst amp ever. I played it again last night after a 2 year break from the solid state blunder, but was pleasantly surprised.

I loved the amp when I first got it too. But after filling a room with boutiques, its hard for this little guy to get any play time when there are Fargens, Port City's, and other corksniffer delights around it.

But last night, I plugged her in, and really enjoyed this solid state modeling amp. The amp you ask??????????

Its a 112 Behringer V-ampire!!!!!!!!! The thing was like $300 brand new, but man, the blackface setting is redicuolusly close. The plexi tones on there can be tweaked to sound just lke my Fargen.

I laughed, then got pissed. I thought to myself, how did just think that I prefered my Behringer to my Omega Modded HRDx?

Maybe its because it covers up my mistakes better, I am not sure, but I am definately embarassed to be so fond of this amp.

What is your "Behringer" amp? Which POS amp is making you question the room full of handwired blunders before you?

This will now be known, as the boutique debachkle!

2. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I have a Crate Stealth 50 - Lee Jackson designed, all tube - that IMHO is the sleeper of all sleepers for high gain stuff. You can get these things for $250 all day long, and they sound pretty bitchin. Not the most robust of amps, but hey, for the price of a new Boogie, you can get TEN of em.

3. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

You can get 'YOUR' sound out of anything. Cost means nothing really.
    If you get your tone from an expensive boutique amp great...but if it's just a status thing 'it must be hand wired' or you need to be 'in the expensive amp club' thing, I can't understand it, that's just nonsense to me.

The Marshall Haze 40 combo blows me away every time I plug into it, it just has the tone I like and it makes me want to play...and I've owned many nice amps. Don't know until you try them.

4. rogwerks

rogwerks Member

Peavey Bandit...

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Peavey Bandit is legendary in the hands of Robert Quine.

And people give really low marks to the Marshall Haze, but I thought it wasn't nearly as bad as people say.

6. OliverGuitars

OliverGuitars Member

Lol, I use to have a Crate Stealth 50 watt head. It did great Metalicca tones, which at the time I loved, since I am only 30 now.

7. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

I had a well-worn 1977 Peavey Pacer(45 watts, solid state, 1 X 12") with scratchy pots and a blown speaker, gathering dust in a local consignment shop. Cost me just $30. I put a new Jensen speaker in it, cleaned up the pots, and it sounded great. Blackface Fender-y. Hartley Peavey did wonders with FETs.

8. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

My practice amp is a SS Squire w/ dual gain
    it sounds great i am super pleased with it

it beats my old Vox modeling amp and my Epi valve jr (practice amps)

9. Marble

Marble Member

I used to love the tone I would get out of a solid state 15 watt Orange Crush amp I have. I think taking out the overdrive part of the circuit and putting it into a pedal would be pretty good.

10. hammersig

hammersig Member

I use my Crate V5, Peavey Special 112, and Epiphone 10watt pracice amp all of the time when recording. They all have different tonal qualities which my themselves can be very hard to take, but for a cool different layer of lead tone, they really make for a thick texture to compliment my main tube halfstack sound.

11. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

Fogerty used SS amps in the studio for many, if not all of those classic CCR recordings I believe.

Rick360

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 on the Stealth GT50 for 80's metal. Also my Crate Vintage Club 50 sounds killer for classic rock. Bob

13. karma1

karma1 Member

I have a Marshall 8040 (1st generation Valvestate) 40 watts/ 1 x 12. I got it used for cheap to use as a back up amp. It was ok, nothing to get excited about - a bit thin sounding. But I put an Avatar Hellatone 30 speaker in it and the difference was unbelieveable. Night and day. The amp sounds really great now. I know that Valvestates usually get a lot of hate, but some people would be very surprised to hear this amp.

14. PlinytheWelder

PlinytheWelder Member

I have Stealth 50 with a Orange RV50 OT and it just kills. Fendery cleans and hit the footswitch for 2 levels of grind. I have NOS tubes in the front end and JJ 6V6's in the back.
    A really great amp. Merry Christmas! :rockin

15. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I have a friend who used to play through one of those Line 6 AX-2 amps and he sounded awesome. He's also probably the best guitar player i've met. Tone is in the hands?

16. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

Orange crush 10, got it for 50$ new, only 10w with a 6" speaker, but I'll tell you this thing always surprises me when I go for a tone I think I can get on it and bam there it is and at TV or lower volume. And 2 gain stages like a pre and post, if anyone is home this is always what I use.

17. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I have always thought that the Peavey Rage 158 was a great sounding little SS amp. Don't know what it is about them, but I like 'em.

18. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I would not call the Genz Benz El Diablo a POS . . . . it's very , very underrated though and an absolute steal used. I have owned a ton of booteek stuff and the Diablo holds it's own . . better than some of the amps I've payed 4x as much for and the equal of too many of them. I won't say it tops all of them because it's not a Two Rock Classic Reverb, or a Constellation . . . . but it's a killer amp for stupid cheap money.

19. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

This one, the Marshall Master Lead 30, a ss marshall. I used one that was in a backline once and it was awesome for slightly broken up clean tones, which I always thought was purely a tube domain.

[​IMG]

20. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I loved my Silvertone 1482. Those little things are just tone machines. Of course...they are handwired, heheh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]