• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Tonebender-type Fuzz for my VOXAC15?

aivlys

I play a Strat and an SG and the VOX has a blue alnico.

Much appreciated!!

Incidentally, anyone try a Huckleberry with their VOX?

IRG

Not sure I can help. I did have a Huckleberry with my AC15, and I did like it. Sort of a cross between a fuzz face and a muff. I used to think muffs weren't a good mix with the Vox, I had a Musket before with a Fender amp (loved that combo) but for whatever reason, I didn't like this pedal with the Vox. I have a Pharaoh now, and love it with the Vox, very versatile pedal. It is a muff, but it can do much lower gain the other muffs. I've had a reissue Big Muff lately to compare it to, and was surprised by how much I love that one too, but it can't do lower gain like the Pharaoh.

As far as Tonebenders goes, I had a Monsterpiece Mkii I think, that was really good, probably should have kept it. I tried a Throbak sTonebender, but didn't really like it. Cut off too much bass for my liking, in a band context though it might have been great. Not sure what else I would recommend that I've actually used. A lot of good tonebenders out there, most see fairly pricey though. Which is why I would check out Monsterpiece, good prices, great construction, great sound.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I run a Throbak sToneBender through a Magic Brit and like it a lot. It works really well for slide and you can get warmer amplike tones out of it in addition to heavier fuzz tones. Mine is a newer model that sports switches to increase/decrease bass response and another switch to toggle in additional diodes for more breakup. I don't find it to be lacking in bass.

I'm intrigued by the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe too. I've never played one but some of the clips make it seem like might be too bright for a Tele with a Vox-ish amp.

-bEn r.

IRG

Forgot, I had the BA Scarab Deluxe too. Fine pedal, liked it a lot. Forgot why I replaced it, GAS of some sort. It used it more as a basic overdrive type pedal, and I got a SolidGoldFX Superdrive, and liked it more, so I sold the BA. Don't have either now.

But the Scarab Deluxe worked fine with the Vox, plenty of control, not too bright at all. Nice lower end response too.

I had one a long time ago (before the Vox) but would like to have one again, is the Skreddy Screwdriver, especially the newer versions now. This should be a great match with a Vox.

0xeneye

Silver Supporting Member
analogman's sunface.... or whatever his tonebender mk1.5 is called......

aivlys

MKIV all the way. You get a tone control with that which really helps dial in the high end to the sweet spot...very handy when you're running a blue alnico. Plus the more "modern" character of the MKIV blends nicely with the Vox.
Is that a Fulltone?

Lavin

I could highly recommend the Tonebender Mk II Special from Williams Audio with Mullards OC81D transistors.
I just get one and Im very impressed with both sound and build quality.

gibsonguitar1988

The Analog Man Sun Bender (Tonebender 1.5) is by far the best fuzz I've heard or played. I wasn't a fuzz guy until I got it. I was already a huge KOT fan and decided to try the Sun Bender. It was well worth the wait of trying to get in on one.

Trending Topics