Best tradional looking high gain bridge sc for a strat?

Pauljudej

I hate to ask such a generalized question but since this site seems to be the holy grail of knowledge of all that is gear I figured I would ask. In your opinion, what is the best sounding high gain but normal/traditional single coil strat bridge pick up? I usually use my neck and middle but when I get a shred bug I would like something thicker and less noisey than my texas special. I don't want to resort to putting a humbucker for the bridge pickup...not yet anyways lol. Any and all input is welcome! :)

TattooedCarrot

aka GearPig
Silver Supporting Member
I like the Duncan SSL5 (or 6) best. Does a classic rock thing and is still a normal looking single cool. The SSL3 is high gain hot and fat sounding almost P90ish but gets noisy because it's still a single coil. Are you looking for a humbucker that still looks like a traditional single coil? Dimarzio Paul Gilbert Injector might work. It's a stacked hot himnucker that looks like a strat pickup, although it's a bit taller.

Pauljudej

I like the Duncan SSL5 (or 6) best. Does a classic rock thing and is still a normal looking single cool. The SSL3 is high gain hot and fat sounding almost P90ish but gets noisy because it's still a single coil. Are you looking for a humbucker that still looks like a traditional single coil? Dimarzio Paul Gilbert Injector might work. It's a stacked hot himnucker that looks like a strat pickup, although it's a bit taller.

Cool, I will check those out. Not shopping for a humbucker yet. That will be my final resort. I may wait for that when I decide to put together a Jimmy Herring looking strat.

Neon Trotsky

This one looks and sounds promising. Thanks.

IIRC, it's VERY similar to the Injector pup. If you go to the Dimarzio website it rates the highs/lows/mids of each and the two look like cousins (iirc).

I put an Injector into the bridge position of my CS '63 (reissue) strat for kicks just to see if I could get it to rock a little harder while still looking like a traditional sc pup.

Be warned, even though I wired it to automatically send one of the coils to ground in the bridge/middle position (middle pup is still sc, RWRP), I lost a good deal of quack there (it gets a fair deal brighter and more strident w/ the stronger bridge pup). But I have two other strats for that one particular sound so I didn't really care.

Jakejj2000

I hate to ask such a generalized question but since this site seems to be the holy grail of knowledge of all that is gear I figured I would ask. In your opinion, what is the best sounding high gain but normal/traditional single coil strat bridge pick up? I usually use my neck and middle but when I get a shred bug I would like something thicker and less noisey than my texas special. I don't want to resort to putting a humbucker for the bridge pickup...not yet anyways lol. Any and all input is welcome! :)

First try adding a metal baseplate to the bridge pup of your start. Next, id say the YGM Seymours are wicked hot pups. Along with that, the quarter pounders..

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
I use a Dimarzio Virtual Solo in combination with more traditional sounding strat pickups and it works fantastic. It still sounds like a strat when clean but it has screaming harmonics and a tighter low end crunch when you have a lot of gain.

Pauljudej

IIRC, it's VERY similar to the Injector pup. If you go to the Dimarzio website it rates the highs/lows/mids of each and the two look like cousins (iirc).

I put an Injector into the bridge position of my CS '63 (reissue) strat for kicks just to see if I could get it to rock a little harder while still looking like a traditional sc pup.

Be warned, even though I wired it to automatically send one of the coils to ground in the bridge/middle position (middle pup is still sc, RWRP), I lost a good deal of quack there (it gets a fair deal brighter and more strident w/ the stronger bridge pup). But I have two other strats for that one particular sound so I didn't really care.

Very cool! Ok, I need to hear that.

Pauljudej

First try adding a metal baseplate to the bridge pup of your start. Next, id say the YGM Seymours are wicked hot pups. Along with that, the quarter pounders..

I practice yngwie runs for fun, tho I sound like him after xanax and broken fingers lol. The qp's have larger pole pieces, sooo, the ocd in me can't do it..sad but true.

AdmiralB

The qp's have larger pole pieces, sooo, the ocd in me can't do it..sad but true.

If you relieve the edges of the bobbin top a little bit, DiMarzio Area/Virtual Vintage covers will fit QPs (as long as you've got the flat-pole models). I've got a set in a Strat with aged white covers, they look totally 'normal' except for the fact that the poles are recessed - i.e. not protruding through the cover. But you pretty much have to look for that to even notice.

Mincer

I like the Hot Stack Plus or the Custom Stack Plus. They are quiet, and still push the amp for much heavier styles. And from the top, look stock.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom