Best training book for Logic 10?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by IceTre, May 3, 2015.

1. IceTre

IceTre Silver Supporting Member

I recently purchased Logic 10.1. The "help", as all Apple help, is pretty bad. And it didn't come with the software; it's online, so it's very slow, and if you're not on the internet, you can't access it. Grrrr.... Anybody have a book they like? I'm new to DAW's.

2. Hairpin Turns

Hairpin Turns Member

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I have the Nahmani book, and it's OK as far as it goes, but it's not deep enough when you have a specialized question. Better are Orren Merton's Logic books, and Edgar Rothermich's Logic Pro X, that really goes into the whys and wherefores with very well thought out graphic explanations.

Edgar's books are also available as either PDFs or iBooks, which makes them excellent computer or iPad companions while you work.

Edgar also updates them each time Logic is updated, and the new features are thorougly explained.

Both Edgar and Orren are active on the Logic User Group forum, which is the oldest Logic-centric forum out there. I recommend both authors highly.

I make this recommendation as a pro user who still refers to these books, and a DAW user since 1987. These DAWs are deep enough that it pays to keep these books around even if you're very experienced when something comes up that you don't use often or if a feature changes.

4. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member

5. JPF

JPF Member

Thanks, Les - I just bought Edgar's "How Logic Works " iBook. Reading and learning it should keep me out of trouble for a little while...

6. CoKid

CoKid Member

7. stratology

stratology Member

+1.
    This is actually a 2 book course, book 2 is scheduled for release in June, so is an update for book 1.
    They have good audio content, and example projects that you can work on.
    Available on paper or as epub (for iPad etc.).

Once you have worked through them, you can do certification exams by Apple, if you're so inclined.

(Disclaimer: I have worked through the LP9 books in the same series, not the LPX books..)

That being said: I believe the best training resources are not books, but training videos. Courses from both lynda.com and macprovideo.com are excellent.
    Check out their sample content, to see what suits you.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Hi. What does the Apple Certification do for you?

9. stratology

stratology Member

The main purpose is as an official reference when you provide professional technical support for Logic, or work with Logic in any other professional capacity. It's also the first step to become an Apple Certified Logic Trainer.

Certification exams are fairly expensive, and not that easy to pass. So it really only makes sense if you work with Logic professionally.

The Peachpit books are Apple's official materials for preparing for the exams, the questions refer directly to content in the books.

10. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I would like to chime in and say Lynda has some good videos and usually if you search YouTube there are a lot of great amateur training videos that cover scenario based work flows.

11. IceTre

IceTre Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the supplies. I'll look into the books. I don't like videos.

12. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

+1 for Musictechhelpguy! His tutorial series on Logic Pro X is unbelievably good...and free!