Best Transistor for a custom Fuzz unit? (OC81D, OC76, etc)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by anais, Dec 24, 2009.

1. anais

anais Member

I decided to place an order for a Tone Monk custom Fuzz for my Christmas present this year. I had played a custom 'prototype' one a few weeks ago- although not through my rig, but I really liked it (Ive never really been a big fuzz guy either) and we went over many options last night.. my head started to spin- So I decided to get some input from some of you guys.

Ive had a few fuzz units and I know I DO NOT like the skreddy mayo, and I do not like the BJFE CAF.. but I am not sure their fuzz styles.. I am assuming they are Muffs? And I am not a fuzz face guy either- had the keeley fuzz head and it was not my style either..

The fuzz tones I really enjoy are that of Fripp (starless especially) and Gilmore.. Hiwatt's are not in my arsenal so that may be a problem for me to obtain such tones. I am just not sure the difference between these styles of transistors that I have read about and am curious what a good building block for a versatile fuzz would be for prog/fusion stuff...Any input?

2. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Maybe a Tonebender? Gobs of thick fuzz that doesn't clean up and endless sustain. I have one from Lumpy with OC75's and it is the cat's meow. I like fuzz though, so. . .

3. pete692

pete692 Supporting Member

Skreddy Lunar Module. Covers a wide range.

4. anais

anais Member

Thats nice, but I am not getting a skreddy, and I am asking about transistors, not specific pedals.

thanks.

5. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

Yea you pretty much knocked off every fuzz pedal besides a tonebender. Interesting you like Gilmour's fuzz tone, he's known for using a Muff. I like a MkII with OC76s, but I heard clips of the SkinPimp MkIII and Buzzaround and I'm GASsing for those now :)

6. warioblast

warioblast Member

:nono The Keeley Fuzz Head is not a Fuzz Face.

7. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

If youre after a Muff style fuzz, you'll be right with 2n5088's, mpsa18's, or any transistor with high gain (hFE).
    I would be googling various transistors for their gain ranges. Tonebenders usually have low gain transistors, but the combination of the 3 sounds great. A have built high gain Silicon Fuzzfaces using BC109's with a hFE of around 140-170, that is pretty high. The 2n5088's in my muff clone are up over 500. You need to start hanging out on some DIY forums also mate!

8. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

For Fripp "Red" (good taste BTW!), probably a Brit bender of some kind but the Dunlop reissue BC108 silicon Fuzz Face will do the job just fine. Also, I don't care for the Fuzzhead either.

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Since you said you're a Fripp fan, you should check out the KR Fuzzoid. It's his take on the Burns Buzz-a-Round. No idea what tranny's he uses, listen to the Steve Stevens clip on this page. Scroll down to The Fuzzoid.
    http://www.krmusicalproducts.com/newpedals.htm