Best transparent comp: Diamond vs. Emma TransMORGrifier

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jul 20, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Anyone tried either of these?

I'm looking for an "always-on" compressor that just adds a subtle 'thickening' effect, rather than squashing. I had a barber tone press, and that wasn't subtle enough, and it took some of the high end away. Right now, I have the maxon cp-9 pro+, but it seems to give me a little more bass than I want, though it is verrry subtle.

I like the EQ on the diamond since it will let me add some sparkle if I want it, can't really control the ratio/threshold though. But I was also impressed by the PSG demo of the transmorgifier, it doesn't have a tone control though.

2. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

heard nothing but good things about the diamond. haven't heard much about the emma.

let me throw in one more though-- the Frantone Sandwich. Easily my fav opto-comp out there and it can actually go from completely transparent to a squished sound too. Great little box, but pricey.

3. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I just got an FXEngineering Mirage RAF and am thoroughly impressed with its transparency. No tone control, but none needed. I've never thought about having an "always on" compressor, but if I did, this would be the one. Subtle thickening would be a great way to describe it.

The honeymoon isn't over yet, but it's the best I've tried so far.

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

fwiw, my frantone is definitely always on. i do tweak the settings a little for rhythm vs lead but thats it.

5. pbone

pbone Member

The tone knob on the Diamond is what makes it stand out the most, other than just being a great, great compressor that I consider one of the main keys to my tone.

6. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

The diamond is perfect in its simplicity. One knob is all the control you need, and you can use the EQ extremely well.

7. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i've got one on the way. is it "completely" transparent? i've got no reference tone for what that would be, but is it totally incapable of adding a little squish? i kind of like a little squish sometimes....

8. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I just ordered the Diamond from Humbucker Music, (they have them in stock)but after just watching the video of both the Emma and the aforementioned on PGS, I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice. The Emma sounded great!

9. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Hmm, I haven't questioned the diamond since I bought it. Awesome pedal; that and the barber ltd set to low/subtle effect really shape my tone for the better.

10. nixpix

nixpix Member

Diamond is a great pedal. I didn't think I'd like it, but it won me over against 4 other comps. I have no regrets.

11. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

anyone of you use humbuckers? how does it do with them? (both pedals..)

12. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I have EMG 89 pickups, which are active humbuckers with the possibility for coil split. The Diamond works great with these in either mode.

13. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member