Best tremelo for vintage tone, but with excellent intonation and functionality????

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by patchesprescott, Oct 11, 2005.

1. patchesprescott

patchesprescott Supporting Member

i'm looking for a six-screw strat-style tremolo that will give me the best of both worlds...

vintage late '50s / early '60s bell-like tone, sustain and vibe

....but also

modern whammy functionality (the ability to pull sharp and push flat) returning to perfect intonation and avoiding incessant string breakage

does such a tremolo unit exist

i was looking at D'Pergo bridges and they "look" pretty promising...does anyone have any experience with them?

I will admit Skyway sounds very enticing, but may not be probable because of the inability to acquire, plus how is the tone? - there is no steel block, right? - not sure about the mechanics involved

Hipshot looks like an option, but i don't like the 2 screw mount, plus i think it is just generic steel - not specially-milled alloy-steel mix for tone

I liked the tone of the Gotoh on my last Suhr, but it seemed unstable and was hard to keep "floating" and properly intonated at the same time especially with the ability to pull notes and chords sharp

Give me some of your opinions and experiences if you would as i am trying to decide on the bridge on my next fiddle

2. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

The new Wilkinson vintage might be what you need.

I was blown away at how nice it is. Push in arm, saddles
    that don't move...:cool:

3. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

the website is very vague, with only one picture of a red trem on a s-type guitar. Its dosent look very appealing from that picture.
    Wouldnt mind seeing a bit more of it.

4. danbomb

danbomb Member

I have the new wilky on 2 strats and love it. Steel block, looks stock, and I love the push in arm. It also stays in tune great.

5. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

:AOK

6. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

Where can I see pictures/specs of the new wilkinson vintage bridge? What is the string spacing in mm? Where can I buy them?

7. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NEW- stunning and perfect in every way- the new genuine Wilkinson vintage trem combines everything vintage fans are looking for- Full Sized STEEL Inertia Block, Bent Steel saddles, Nickel plated- engraved with perfect vintage repro "WILKINSON STAMPED", Solid steel plate with six case hardened steel trem screws, Non-threaded push in arm with tension adjust but retains exact vintage look and feel, Stagerred block string spacing adjust for intonation- now every string has the same saddle-to-ball-end length![/

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

It really depends on what which vintage Strat tone you are refering to. There's the old hardtail Strats where the bridge is screwed to the face of the guitar body where the bridge is making contact with the body over it's entire bottom surface, or the tremolo where there is a cavernous area routed out of the tone wood from the back of the body for the springs with a through body route for the block and the small contact patch where the bridge contacts the body at a tilt pressing against some of the six screws. The Skyway's tone will most closely resemble the former. And they are now available, I'm having a Suhr built with one. Regarding the site, the picture of the red one is an older Skyway bridge design, the production model is smaller and very sleak looking.

9. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

What is the model number of that Wilkinson?

10. Myron Stratis

SB_5316-010 :)

11. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Thanks, but I meant the designation that begins with V-something.

12. Myron Stratis

You mean something like VG300 or VSV? It doesn't have such a designation, it is just the newer vintage spec Wilkie:)

13. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Does the inertia block have the deep holes at the ball end of the string, or are they shallow (where you can see the ball end of the string) like the real vintage Strats and the Callaham?

I have a VSVG and it has the staggered string holes like this one, but it has the deep holes in the inertia block unlike the vintage trems.