1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Best tremolo for Fender & chop styles?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phineas, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Phineas

Phineas Member

Folks,

I've gone through a bunch of threads and i'm still curious as to which one of these pedals nails BOTH the Fender (i like blackface) and chop styles? I know the swampthang nails the Fender sound (subtle sin waves with full body & warmth) and i heard the supatrem has a great chop but which ones get BOTH but with good tone? These are the primary features i'm looking for in a trem pedal.

The secondary desired feature set is:

-good usable range of depth and speed settings (all things in between the swamp thang and chop of the supatrem).
    -small footprint!!

Tertiary desired feature set is:

-wave selectors
    -no volume spike when engaged.
    -no LFO to be heard when not playing.
    -true bypass or a good buffer
    -DC input jack
    -LED (even better an interactive LED like the semaphore)
    -tap tempo (like the cusack)
    -switch for 2 speeds (like the supatrem)

Thanks!

2. autopilot

autopilot Member

if you got tap tempo, the switch for 2 speed is unnecesary. I was going to suggest the 4ms tremulus lune, but the tap tempo option isnt avaible.

Right know is the cusack or the empress tremolo.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

why don't you try EHX's wiggler?, it sounds great, it doesn't have all you're asking for, but it nails some classic trems.
    you can listen to files at EHX's site and the MPEG at Musician's friend site

4. maestro_nl

maestro_nl Member

I do have both the Cusack Tap-A-Whirl Tremolo and the Empress Tremolo.
    What you are describing the Empress Tremolo is the way to go.
    Empress sounds warm in 'tube' mode and does have a '65 Fender Vibrolux (brown face) copy.

5. Phineas

Phineas Member

Hey maestro - i just checked that empress out - man I think that's the way to go! Thanks for the suggestion.

6. R.J.H.

R.J.H. Silver Supporting Member

If you're not already set on the Empress, the Cusack's option knob and footswitch can give you every speed inbetween slow rolling trem and chop.

7. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

I don't know if it's still being made, but Menatone's Pleasure Trem 5000 does it all! Johnny Marr (How Soon Is Now?) in a can!

8. radcliff

radcliff Member

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The "emphasis" switch on the Guyatone Flip VT-X Tremolo switches between the softer Fender-y trem sound and the on/off, chopping variety. Sounds great with the tube in there...

10. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

I just breadboarded a Kay tremolo and like it well enough to build one. I added a depth control and modded it for no (apparent) volume loss as well as a speed range extension. It's nice and choppy at max depth but can handle milder textures as well.

Anything based on the Kay circuit (Tremadillo, for example) would be worth checking out IMO. It sounds pretty nice.

11. Phineas

Phineas Member

Sounds great fellas. I'm gonna check out this cusack too and i heard some good things about the new nano pulsar from ehx. I have the Voodoo Labs 4 knob but it doesn't sound amp like to me albeit it sounds just as good or better to me than the supatrem's tone. For around $100 the VL trem is a great value. Been hearing good things about the guyatone tube trem as well but it's pretty big and obviously won't take batteries - i know the empress won't either but that tone and options might be worth the sacrifice to me.