1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best Tube Combo Under $1,000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bscepter, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

In your opinion, what is the best new combo amp available under $1,000? That's street price, not MSRP. (At least 30w)

For fun, what's the best under $1,500? Does $500 more get you a noticeable upgrade? (e.g. Vox blues in an AC30CC)

Thanks!

By the way, apologies to those who have seen this thread in other forums. I'm just trying to get a broad range of opinions before I shell out a grand or more.

2. B Vance

B Vance Member

Best combo under 1 G, in my humble opinion, 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

Best combo under 1.5 Gs, from what I have gathered, Top Hat Club Royale 2x12. Don't have one yet, but hope to get one soon. The Bat Cat Cub II is a wonderful amp too, but a bit more than 1.5 g's new, more like 1.8. You can get into a used one for circa $1,300 though.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

Hmm. A friend of mine has a Fender DRRI, and he really likes it. It would be slightly underpowered for my application, though. I guess I should have specified at least 30 watts.

I'll check out the Top Hat, though. Thanks!

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Holland L'il Jimi comes to mind.
    Holland Brentwood for some top notch Tweed tone
    Sommatone Roaring 20s
    Alessandro working dog series

5. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Check out the Reverend Kingsnake. $700, 60W (switchable to 20W), single channel (three modes), reverb. Only thing is I don't care for the Neodyne speaker it comes with. Kicks ass into a 2x12 cab. MUCH more versatile than the Fender IMO.

Oh, as for BEST, who's opinion is the the BEST in regard to...the...BEST?

6. calieng

calieng Member

Zinky Blue Velvet

7. B Vance

B Vance Member

The selection of great combos at or less than $1,000 new and over 30 watts is rather slim. $15 hundy is probably a more realistic expectation for a great amp in this category. Check into the Top Hat. Also, there is a guy here on The Gear Page who makes class A point to point amps. From what I understand they are great too. The website is www.valvetechamps.com. You should give them a look. They are in the $1,500 range, Plus they are customizable for around that price!!! Haven't played one but have read some good posts. The HC reviews don't seem to be too high on them though. You can't put much faith in those in my opinion though.

Best of luck,
    B

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

Dr. Z MAZ 38 Sr. NR lists for $1,499.

9. hasserl

hasserl Member

Best combo under a grand, Carvin Legacy. Two true individual channels, lush reverb, beautiful cleans (Carvin does clean tones as well as anybody) w/ an overdrive channel good enough for Vai (PLENTY of gainl). Vintage 30 speakers in a cab w/ removable back for open or closed back sound.

You can't beat it for the money, now way, no how.

[​IMG]

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Orange AD15/12 or if you need more power AD30 more gain, Rockerverb.

Or if you can find one Blackface fender vibrochamps or Princeton Reverbs.

Honorable mention, 65 Deluxe DRRI. (you'll need to change the speaker though)

Also the Fender Vibrolux 2x10 combo. Lovely. An original blackface is preferred but they are like $2200 now thanks to the vintage market.

The Fenders sound great with most gain pedals. If you need distortion the new Black Magic from Love pedal looks to be fantastic.

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

Wow -- thanks for all the responses. Definitely food for thought. My other consideration was building a low-power Twin kit from Mojotone (or Weber). I played one of the new Fender Custom Shop hand-wired '57 Twin reissues, and whoa boy, it sounded really, really good.

By the way, I play a Gibson SG with P90s, so that definitely influences my amp choice.

12. bscepter

bscepter Member

Actually, that one looks very intriguing. I'd probably opt for the 2x12 model at $1,799, though.

13. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    If the Maz Sr. is intriguing you owe it to yourself to check out the Valvetech Hayseed, as mentioned above. The Hayseed is not on the web site but if you do a search for "Hayseed" here you'll find more information.

14. madsr

madsr Member

I would check out the mesa boogie f50--fantastic amp and very versatile..lotsa sounds from that one..and I know this isn't a boutique type of amp but the fender deville 2x12 sounds really great and is pretty cheap also...worth a look..depending on what type of tones you're going for..the fender cleans can't really be beat IMO..

15. royd

royd Member

Let me give another cheap answer... the Peavey Delta Blues. swap the speakers and still you can buy two for under a grand. I like both the clean and dirty sound, it has reasonable headroom, with efficient speakers it is more than loud enough for any venue I've ever played. It doesn't have the sparkle, life, or reliability of the boutiques and the reverb isn't so good but it is a good sounding amp and could easily sell for more than it goes for and still be a good buy.

16. madsr

madsr Member

Those peavey delta blues and the classics are nice sounding amps..for the money you can't really beat them IMO...

17. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Orange Rocker 30. I got mine on Ebay for $800. Great clean channel and outstanding gain from blues thru classic rock thru metal.

18. GasMask

GasMask Member

I think the Mesa F-50 is tough to beat in the $1k price range new. Nice cleans all the way to saturated overdrive. Well built and highly regarded. Very good amp for the $$$!

19. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I think the Marshall Bluesbreaker combo is under a grand, if so, that would be my pick.

20. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

I went on a 1x12 tube combo testing trip a couple of months back to replace my half-stack. My main stipulation was that it had to be under $1K and fairly lightweight (which kept the extremely heavy and expensive, though quite toneful, Genz Benz El Diablo 60 out of the picture). Everything I tried (about 12 different amps), except two, failed to make the tonal/functional grade in some way, shape, or form. The two that passed - the Zinky Blue Velvet 25 and the Orange Rocker 30. They made the other amps sound like toys. I wound up getting the BV25, but would have been just as happy with the Rocker 30, though new it was a bit over 1K.

And as much as we guitarists don't care about visuals, and concentrate purely on tone and features, the bonus is that these were the two coolest looking ones, too. :cool:

You could always go the used El Diablo or Lone Star Special route once prices start to fall.