best tube preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by einstein, Jan 14, 2006.

1. einstein

einstein Member

i need another preamp to use with my stereo tube poweramps. Allready have art, haffler, marshall. interested in trying or buying boogie rectifier preamp, groovetube preamp, carvin quad x, demeter, kittyhawk, etc. Heard great things about the quad x , and groove tube. the boogie looks ultimate , but its prabably goona be go to guitar center with one of my amps and see what sounds best, of course different tubes make them all sound different also. Im sure in reality theyre all acceptable and all sound good but i am only going to buy one since i already have 4.
    If guytron made a preamp it would be the one.
    The ultimate preamp would have a fender clean sound and a vox overdrive which leads to the conclusion why not try a tube vox floor unit. I heard in person one the guy in black oak had and it sounded very acceptable. Also of course i could try a line 6 pod. It would be neat if line six made a unit with REAL tubes, output and preamp instead of simulations.
    So what are the tried and true opinions of those that have tried them all????? really looking for vox sounds ( why did i sell all the ac-30 s i bought from aspen pittman??) I still have lots of cabinets with blue bulldogs and old marsahall cabs so thats taken care of. can we just build our own tgp preamp ?????

2. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

An Egnater M4 is the answer to every question...

3. einstein

einstein Member

i see its 2 grand and has printed circuit boards. so its double the price of a boogie rectifier preamp which i also have never used or heard. the boogie does have a lot of features, prabably to many.

4. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

printed circuit boards? Who cares, if it sounds good it is good. :horse

For 2 grand you get every sound you desire, then some.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I don't know anything that gets both the fender and vox sounds but I've had a several of tube preamps such as Groove Tubes (STPG-1, Trio), Mesa (rectifier, studio pre, V-twin), H&K, etc.

The two best of the lot were the GT STPG-1 and the Mesa Studio Pre

6. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

There is absolutely no sound quality difference between a printed board and PTP nomatter what any corksniffer says...The pro builders will tell you the same....
    I would look into:
    VHT GP3
    Egnater
    Custom Audio 3+SE
    They will give you the most variety and the tones you want.
    Steve

7. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Randal has a Egnator designed preamp that might do the trick.

8. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

+1, but i have to add the king for me, Bogner fish. Best preamp i´ve ever heard. Had it and the 3+SE at the same time and prefered the fish by far.
    Take a look at the engl 570, the Voodoo lab preamp and the old Egnater ie4 also.

9. devbro

devbro Member

A Triaxis with JJ's can get a reasonably clean Fender sound also.

10. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I just sold my E570SE...:D
    I had a Bogner Fish for about 2 years. But I'd classify it's tone to be more like a modded Plexi moreso than a Vox....
    Great pre, but way way overpriced...LOL
    Steve

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Is money an issue? I ask because of the lower priced units, the best IMHO is the Sansamp PSA1, but it's only more flexible, not better than the original Sansamp. I've ownes:
    Hafler-not flexible enough
    Groove Tubes (Trio, STP-G)
    Mesa Vtwin
    Marshall JMP1
    Kittyhawk Quattro
    Morin (single channel, high gain)
    Duncan? KTG-1
    H&K Machine series
    Egnator

The only one better than the Sansamp is the Morin. The others are at best equally good. I do expect that that the Egnator/Randall is probably a cool idea, especially if coupled with a flexible power amp (you're not going to get true Fender/Vox/Marshall/Boogie sounds with one set of power tubes and one speaker cabinet-a GT Dual 75 with a stereo cab with some Celestions and some clean speakers would do it).

12. einstein

einstein Member

thanks for the suggestions guys. to be more specific i guess it would be stupid to ask for a fender clean sound because i have a great fender bassman head modded self biasing that gets that sound. I guess in all simplicity i just want vox tones and the addition of thd yellowjackets in one of my 4 stereo amps or in just one channel combined with the preamps i already have may be the same or better. So new question what is the best el34 for the money (most like a telefunkon or mullard) or should i get the kt77 s and i assume the yellowjackets will nail the el84 sound cause they are el84 s. New preamp to get the sounds or new tubes? It would be really cool to have an ac-30 preamp to get classic sounds BUT,vox makes modelers and line 6 has vox sounds. The choices are endless. Units made to record direct like the boogie recto preamp and line 6 , do they work better if you plug them into the best tube amps? Im sure one of you guys has already been through all this bs and of course there is no right or wrong and im sure all these new products would be acceptable.

13. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

I'm still stuck on the original question about preamps in general. I use two Egnater preamps in my recording rig: the M4 and ie4. The M4 is loaded with the VOX, SL2, Modern and Erect dual channel modules, and I really have grown to love it. When it first shipped, I put some sound clips up on my band website here:

www.hecticwatermelon.com/machines.cfm

I need to record some new ones now that I am more used to how it reacts to recording, but these original clips give a idea about the sound and feel of the Egnater stuff.

14. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

I agree all the way...but i miss that green bastard ;)
    [​IMG]

With a low budget i´d go for an ie4.

15. einstein

einstein Member

yeah ive got marshall 4x 12 old whitebacks, and 2x 12 of g12h30 and blue bulldogs, silver bulldogs, gold bulldogs, and some really interesting old altec alnico greys that sound very fine with fenders real brite, but clear and clean.

The trio seems great, the recto pre has everything in the world on it never heard one and its odd the egnater and traner are the same amp. Was it a knock off of the egnater or a licensed product. Those modules are real small to be full of good stuff. Im sure their fine. It would be interesting to build a stock ac-30 preamp with period parts and better tone control.I have really been hearing great things about the quad x carvin and they are not easy to get on ebay. about $400

16. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Einstein, no offence mate... but you really do pull out some pearlers. "Those modules are real small to be full of good stuff" :jo "i see its 2 grand and has printed circuit boards" :jo You don't want to peek into a Bogner then.

Are you an engineer or a guitar player? If you an engineer or a tech by all means nit-pick things like pcb or ptp and size but as a guitar player the first thing you should be worrying about is how it sounds.

Do you mean the Egnater and the Randall? They are the same format because Bruce Egnater designed both of them.

17. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

I perfer the Rocktron Piranha. I sounds great and can go from clean, to plexi to high gain with the push of a button. Plus they can be had for $250-$350.

18. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy Senior Member

Bogner Fish is BLUE my color blind friend

19. JazzNazi

JazzNazi Member

Boogie makes some fine preamps. I own a Formula Pre, basically an analog version of the Boogie Triaxis:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of _Production/Formula/formula.html

Great looking single rack space unit that delivers classic Boogie sounds. Also sounds great with a mega-expensive Gibson archtop.

I highly recommend it or a Triaxis over the Rectifier Pre.

Unless of course you play metal. Jazz Nazis don't like scooped mids.

20. JazzNazi

JazzNazi Member

$2800 for the Fish Reissue?????