Best Tube Screamer for EL-34 Bogner Shiva

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Streakor, May 9, 2015.

1. Streakor

Streakor Member

Hey guys looking for some suggestions! I currently playing an EL-34 Bogner Shiva head (non-reverb) through a Mesa Boogie 2x12 loaded with V30's. I play an American Fender Telecaster Deluxe and Gibson Les Paul Custom through the clean channel and love the tones I'm getting. It took me a while to find a good transparent overdrive to give me that dirt tone I wanted and fell in love with the Timmy (I also always have an MXR Microamp ON, gives my tone a nice grit/texture). If you have a Shiva and you haven't tried the Timmy, seriously go buy one right now.

I'm looking for a tube screamer to take my tone to that next level of overdrive for certain songs. Essentially it will be bumping up the drive I get from my Timmy. I have a TS-808 and while I love the way it pushes the amp, it cuts out too much bass for my liking. I'm looking for a tube screamer to finalize the dirt portion of my board and am looking for some suggestions as the Shiva loves some pedals and hates others.

Right now I have my eye on...

1. TS808 HW - sounds amazing in all the demos I've heard, a bummer it's $350. Having a hard time pulling the trigger as I feel it will be too similar to my current 808.

2. Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Heard nothing but great things about this paired with the Shiva. Hesitant as I did not love the OCD. Only played the OCD through 9v, not 18v

3. BB Preamp - Heard great things but not sure if this is the right pedal I'm looking for. Not sure if it's good for boosting my already overdriven tone.

I bought an OCD and a Klon KTR and did not like either of these pedals. The KTR is so shrill, I don't know how anyone likes the pedal. Someone wanna trade me an 808hw for it :drool

What do you guys think I should buy!?!

2. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

The ORIGINAL FD2 has been a goto with my Shiva for years. All the modes add mojo even in the dirt channel. The OCD worked well too. MOSFET FD2 was great but too much punch and mids for me.

Now I wanna know about the Timmy and a Shiva.

3. Streakor

Streakor Member

Definitely give it a try if you have the opportunity. Sounds great through both channels, really keeps the original tone of the amp. The toggle switch also gives you a lot of different options. With the toggle in the top position I can get a real dirty almost fuzz sounding break up if I boost the gain (on the pedal).

On another note also getting great results with the Strymon Flint and EH Holy Grail.

4. theroan

theroan Member

The Green Rhino is the TS pedal I've ever played. I haven't played the BB, but I did find it superior to to 1 and 2.

5. Streakor

Streakor Member

Looks like I might go with the Xotic AC Booster, supposed to be like a tubescreamer without the bass loss and mid hump. Sounds perfect.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

My VFE Pale Horse has the tone/clipping controls you seek. Have never met a guitar/amp/speaker combo it couldn't be dialed in for. Pale Horse is 808 like clone, his other models have extensive tone and clipping circuit controls also.
    [​IMG]

7. Streakor

Streakor Member

^this is what I'm getting. So glad you posted.

To be honest I had never heard of this company or this pedal, but after doing some research I'm sold. There's a 70+ post thread on this forum about the Pale Horse and every single person raves about the pedal. This is the one, just wish it wasn't so ugly haha :)

It seems like I would be set on The Scream, but the Pale Horse sounds better to me in all the demos I've watched. Thanks guys!

8. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

Ok - well

I would have said buy an Amalignant or Keeley modded 808 and call it a day.

9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Get Analogman's Silver mod to your current pedal.

I always loved how an Eternity sounded through the Shiva.