Best tubes for Matchless Clubman? Microphonic EF86?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ethompson, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ethompson

ethompson Member

I have a basically new Clubman which I totally love by the way and lately I've noticed I'm hearing a very subtle high pitched buzz kind of sound when I'm playing with light to medium gain on most volumes I hear it more if the amp is turned up a little not crazy loud though including bed room levels. It almost sounds like something metal vibrating I cant seem to put my finger on what it is. If I listen at the back of the head it does seem to be coming from there somewhere. This happens when plugging straight into the amp or through the board doesnt matter either way, but again I only hear it when the gain is up probably 3/4 of the way up or using an OD pedal. I'm wondering if maybe the EF86 tube is causing the noise I'm hearing? So I would like to just swap out all the tubes and see if that fixes the sound I'm hearing. I'm also just looking for a good tube suggestions for the amp. I dont really want to go with the most expensive but what tubes can I expect to give me what sound?

And for the record I did take a pencil and lightly tap the tubes like it is suggested on Matchless' site and I dont hear any audible sound coming out of the amp when I lightly tap all the tubes except the EF86 tube I do hear it ring alittle out of the speakers not overly loud though and I dont really have any experince with what that should sound like anyway so I'm not sure if it normal or not. I appreciate all the help and suggestions

Thanks
    Evan

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. ethompson

ethompson Member

Anyone? I went ahead and ordered a new EF86 and 2 12AX7's just to see if swapping those makes any difference at all.

3. gregc

gregc Member

Dario~miniwatt EF86, cured all my problems with my DC30

4. ken374

ken374 Member

It would be a constant ringing sound if its micro phonic when turned up

5. ethompson

ethompson Member

Hmm thanks Im not sure what Im hearing then but it is bugging me!

6. ethompson

ethompson Member

I figured out the sound was coming from the rectifier tube and will be replacing that ASAP. Thanks for the help! :beer

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

People overlook this a lot, I had a few bad rectifiers that created odd problems. Regarding the ef86 I used all kinds with my Clubman or SC30 and didn't really ever seem to have a problem unless it was obviously bad. I had some a little noisy but it didn't bother me much.

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

ayep my rectifier was the culprit in my pro reverb a while back, i swapped it out for a NOS GE and bingo, ringing gone.

9. Seektone

Seektone Member

This is not my experience at all. I have had microphonic tubes that were only making noise that was noticeable on the decay of long-held notes or chords. Replacement cured the problems.

Dario and Tungsram were my success stories with ef86s. NOS rectifiers have made a big difference in reliability for me as well.

10. ken374

ken374 Member

could be also but turn a amp up with gain it will squeal bad

11. ethompson

ethompson Member

Its not that kind of squeal.. Its more of a vibration when I take a rag and touch the rec tube it stops then when I let go it starts again. I talked to Phil at Matchless he was convinced thats what was too and even offered to send me a new tube for free! Pretty good if you ask me!

12. ken374

ken374 Member

cool! i was referring to Seektone, a nasty high pitch squeal is usually a microphonic preamp tube most likely the v1

13. ken374

ken374 Member

I bought NOS RCA off ebay for 25 its a bit warmer and smoother over the stock EH tube so I should be good for a while:)

14. ethompson

ethompson Member

Ah got ya. Im still learning a lot of this stuff!

15. iggs

iggs Member

NOS recto is a huge improvement in the Clubman and pretty much a must IMHO ... it really did make a noticeable difference in my Clubman, I spoke to Phil over the phone and that's what he suggested too.

16. ethompson

ethompson Member

Ok well I've been using the new ruby rec tube Phil sent me a few weeks ago and it started buzzing again. I'm not sure what else to do at this point? I've thought about just getting a solid state plug so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Anyone have any more suggestions? Im gonna matchless back on Monday I guess.

17. iggs

iggs Member

These are fantastic:
    http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/nos-jan-philipssylvania-5ar4-mislabeled-5v4ga-0

I know it's a bit steep but still far cheaper then a Mullard and will last you a looooong time.

18. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

I think u are hearing tube rattle. My Matchless' do that.
    New tube won't hurt.
    Best way to know is to hold a tube tightly while playing, with a glove. Then you will know which is rattling.

19. ethompson

ethompson Member

Yea I was actually able to do a little more looking into this last night. Turns out even if I just lightly knock on the top of the head I can hear it rattling as well. So what I did was take each tube out one at a time and retest and it turned out to be one of the EL34s making the rattling sound and not the rec tube. But yea at first I tried what you are saying above and was convinced it was the rec tube. But I guess I was wrong.... So I think I may just order some new power tubes and that should take care of it hopefully anyway !!