Best Tubscreamer Style Pedal For High Gain Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slicepaperdavid, Apr 15, 2018.

1. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

I had Horizon Precision Drive, and while it excelled at what it was designed to do (boost a high gain tube amp), I didn't like it as much in other "traditional" TS applications. I ended up selling it and got an Earthquaker Dunes instead, which I love. Might pick up another Precision Drive down the line though.

slicepaperdavid likes this.
  2. mertay

mertay Member

MXR modified OD is underrated, I checked it next to a green rhino and it was very close sounding (it doesn't have the depth of the rhino, so thats what I'd choosse for high-gain boost).

But I use an EHX Glove cause also wanted something that sounds not too far off on the clean channel for versatility. Anyway, whatever pedal you choose make sure it has a bass control knob or switch.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

VFE Dragon. You pick where bass and treble roll off hits, run it clean or add hint of dirt. Run it pre or post with your other drives, I actually prefer it post so it's eq takes over the tightening of sound and adds a hint of extra grind.

4. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 Member

tumnus deluxe pushes my friedman perfectly.

5. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Thanks for the input y’all. Followed my gut and ordered a Witchburner, love every BAT pedal I’ve played and heard. I’ll follow up with my thoughts when it arrives

6. zsno

zsno Supporting Member

Keep us posted, curious on how it works. I'm using either a Keeley modded TS-9 or an XTS Precision Multi-Drive to boost my Oranges. Always wondering if there's something to do the job better, especially since I've seen an Orange employee themselves suggest the Maxon 808 over a standard TS-9

7. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Will do man!