Best Tuner for Electric, Acoustic and Bass guitar

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by echo unit, Jul 23, 2006.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I'm looking for the best all around tuner that will tune electric guitar and electric bass but also acoustic guitar (acoustically-not plugged in) and other acoustic stringed instrumetns.

I don't care if it's in a pedal or a rack but it has to tune very accurately and it has to be fairly affordable. I just cannot justify spending stupid amounts of money on a Tuner when there are plenty of functioning tuners out there for not that much.

Love to hear some opinions on this?

2. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I liked the Sabine. It was black. Not a pedal. Had a small mic built in the front for acoustic. Nice chromatic tuner. I am pretty sure they still make them.

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

"Functioning" is the key word here, as a Strobo Stomp functions much better than a regular tuner. I've had a few electronic tuners and there's nothing as accurate as a Strobo Stomp. Once you have your guitars all in tune, there's no going back. I have a suction cup tuning pickup for tuning my acoustic guitars with it, everything sounds great and in tune... Very solid pro investment. If you don't need your guitars to be as perfectly in tune as possible and sounding their best with chords and lines all up and down the neck, then I guess you could spend less money on a tuner...

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

The Strobostomp is a great tuner.

For less you can get Intellitouch 2

For $15 you can get the Planet Waves Strobe Pick tuner.

5. drolling

drolling Member

There's any number of "Quartz" based tuners for guitar & bass. They usually feature a built-in condenser microphone for tuning an acoustic instrment and offering on averge +/- 3 cents, most'll get the job done for under 10 bucks USD.

But, once I picked up a STROBOSTOMP, my ear rapidly acclimatised to its superior sesitivity, and I begun tuning my acoustics (by ear) to their electric counterparts.

Then I found a suction-cup style interface designed to mate tuners like the Strobo w/their acoustic counterparts..

Best five bucks I ever spent, as this device eliminates all the 'crosstalk' interference normally associated w/those cheezy condenser mics, facilitating faster , more accurate tuning!

AND, it also makes a pretty good pickup when coupled w/a buffered preamp system - I've actually done some recording/gigging w/one of these myself..

With one of these li'll things attached to the Petersen tuner, I'm also able to accurately set the intonation on floating bridge archtops, like my old ES-125

6. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Without a doubt the Strobostomp-it sounds so good after using it. There are some who say you have to baby the unit as it can be a bit fragile but it looks solid. Mine is in a tuner loop so I never have to stomp on it.

7. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Could someone elaborate on the suction cup pickup ......Make,model?

I would love to actually tune up my acoustics ! thanks

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Peterson makes this one:
    [​IMG]
    (click the pic to go to musician's friend page)

It is not sold here in town anywhere, so I got an identical one that works nicely. They look like they were made in the same factory somewhere overseas... The price at MF is less than I paid at the shop, but it's a shop I like to support when I can...

9. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Without a doubt, Peterson Strobostomp.

10. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I bought the Peterson on Sunday, and WOW! I tuned and set the intonation on two of my most difficult guitars (with respect to tuning). Both now sound perfect.

11. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I've had my TU-12 for a long time, and also have the Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.

There are many positive posts here about the strobo, but have to give props to my latest toy, the Intellitouch PT-1. this clamps to the headstock of any axe, and is working great for me ! They also make a more bare-bones model without backlit display (PT-2)

ck out www.tuners.com for more info

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 the Strobostomp. It blew me out of my shoes TWICE. The first time was when I first got it, as many people here can attest to.

The second time was when I got lazy for a few months, rarely changing strings nor intonating. Then I picked myself up by my bootstraps, changed the strings, intonated, tuned up, and shazam! Flat on my back with my shoes 3 meters away