Best Tuning Keys for Les Paul Standard

djpatb

Hey guys,
I have a 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I wanna change the tuning keys, but I need to find a direct replacement. I really wanted to put Grover Rotomatics on it, but the diameter is too wide. I also had some TonePro/Klusons, and the base is too wide as well. Sooo...what are best tuning keys for this guitar? Looks like the regular Klusons that WD carries should work, but I wish I could find the gear ratio for them. Any other ideas? I believe the pegholes are 11/32" and the posts are straight 1/4" all the way up. Thanks!

djpatb

It'd be great if I could find something with a longer post length then the stock Gibson tuners. That would make stringing easier. Thanks!

RnB

Gotohs that Stew-Mac sells work really well. Better that WD's Std tuners. Only thing is..the knobs are a bit greenish looking. I changed the buttons on mine w/ replacement double rings...

Gotoh Tuners

djpatb

Thanks! Better than the WD Klusons huh? I assume they're better than the Gibson Vintages?
I just wish I could find a set with the longer post length, like the Tonepros.

Last edited:

RnB

Better than the WD Klusons huh? I assume they're better than the Gibson Vintages?
I just wish I could find a set with the longer post length, like the Tonepros.
I believe Gotoh makes Gibson's tuners? Performance wise, Gotoh's work better than WD's. The New Kluson's w/ 1/4" shafts, perform better than the Old Kluson's that have a slightly smaller diameter shaft .236" (6mm) ...same size as TonePros. You have to use Tone-Pro's supplied bushings or your TP posts will lean forward. Also: removing the old bushings can be difficult unless U have the right tool.

I thought TP's came out w/ a Tuner that was a no-brainer? That is, w/o the 'wide base'? So you didn't have to ream out the backside, which is no big deal. OTOH...they work great! Yes, TP's do have longer shafts which is good.

Have you thought about a set of Gibson Historic Tuners? They are supposed to be an upgrade from the stock tuners on your Std. Uncle Lou's Premium Tips are the usual replacement buttons to rid the snot-green one's.

LPF Tuner Thread

djpatb

I'm pretty sure the stock ones on this Les Paul are the Historic. They have the rounded housings and push in bushings.

djpatb

I just looked at pics of the Gotohs...they do look exactly like my Gibsons. The Gotohs are listed as a 15:1 ratio...so I'm guessing my stock tuners are 15:1 too?

GuitarTone

I just looked at pics of the Gotohs...they do look exactly like my Gibsons. The Gotohs are listed as a 15:1 ratio...so I'm guessing my stock tuners are 15:1 too?
I have a set of Klusons on one guitar, they have Kluson engraved on them, and I have the Gotoh SD90-SL on a hundred guitars...I have tuning problems with one guitar, the one with the Klusons engraved on them.

Beat Up G

The locking Grovers that are fitted to the new Standards are killer, easily my favorite tuner that Gibson uses/sells.

GuitarTone

The locking Grovers that are fitted to the new Standards are killer, easily my favorite tuner that Gibson uses/sells.
But they don't look correct and the strings are still passing through a plastic nut before arriving at the tuners.

djpatb

Looks like Gotoh makes a locking vintage style tuner as well...and it's the same size & specs as the SD90's. Anyone try these?

imsilly

Why bother?

What is wrong with the original tuners?

Never thought of changing the tuners on a single guitar I've owned. Even my beat up old Harmony from the 1950s has it's original working tuners because they cause no instability. Most of the tuning issues I've seen have more to do with crappy nuts, stringing and setups. The only tuners I'd change were ones that were jammed or slipped.

Vishnu

^^^ THIS

if you thread a string properly the GIBSON issued tuners work very well indeed

RnB

Using Grovers will add 5 or 6 ozs to your Hdstk. Prolly, moreso w/ the locking type. Twice as much as Gotoh/Kluson. U really don't need them! Like someone said, most tuning problems occur at the nut, or the way the strings are wrapped around the posts.

If you're not sure of the ratio, turn the knob & count how many full turns it takes for the shaft to make 1 complete revolutuion.

Bottom line (imo): if you want a great performing tuner...go w/ Tone-Pros! You'll get the added shaft length you want & buttons w/ great coloring. If you're not up to fitting them yourself...have it done by someone competent.

Joe L

Silver Supporting Member
Put Kluson Tone Pros on both my '92 Les Paul Standard and my '98 Epi ES 295 and could not be happier. Both guitars Guitars tune well now and stay in tune. The original tuners were very sloppy compared to the Tone Pros. Best part is that they look like the originals.

djpatb

Why bother?

What is wrong with the original tuners?
I'm the 2nd owner, and when I got it the tuning machines were already starting to corrode and tarnish a bit. A couple of them have some extra play in them too...so I'm getting a new set to freshen things up.

Space Hammer

TonePros has a model that fits the push-in bushing as well, the TonePros I had on my old LP were great! The model you're looking for is TPK33:
http://www.toneproskluson.com/models.html
The tonepros TPK33's have a large base on them (8.9mm/0.35inch) - i know this because right now i have a guitar that i'm installing them on right now, pretty sure this is the base the OP said was too large for the stock hole.

what i'd recommend to the OP is what i'm doing - ream out the tuner holes to 9mm, install the tonepros blushings. hopefully you won't have to drill new holes for the screws (right now i'm in the middle of dowling the holes from the original screws - pain in the ass).

these Tonepros Klusons are the best Kluson tuners i've used, worth the time to install. On one of my guitars i had to swap one of the tonepros tuners for the original Gibson Kluson (stage accident, bent the shaft of the tuner) ever since, guess which sting is out of tune the most?

Last edited:

Trending Topics