Best Tweed Bassman Clone????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by silencer eleven, Oct 1, 2005.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I'm very interested in playing a 59 bassman style amp. I thought about getting the reissue ltd and I hear they're incredible, but I would probably end up doing alot of upgrades to that. So I figure it would be more worth it to just buy a clone with all top of the line parts, cabinet, and craftmanship. So what are people's oppinions on the best 59 clone?

evan

2. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

The Clark Piedmont is as good as it gets, IMHO of course.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

I hear the Victorias are quite good.

4. James Knox

James Knox Member

I currently own 2 Clark Tweed Amps, with another one en route from a Forum Bro (bought earlier this week) and Michael Clark is just finishing up a Custom Beaufort for me.

Before I bought my first Clark, I owned a Victoria 2012 for a couple of months. NICE - but NO camparison!

Michael Clark rules the Tweed World. In the late 50's Leo Fender built his amps with the cheapest components available, Michael Clark builds his today with the BEST components available.

Good Luck,

James

5. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

what are the prices on the clark amps? anybody else have some suggestions?

evan

6. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

The current price on the Piedmont is $2175.00. You would need to get in touch with their sole distributor, Bob Ogulnick of The Perfect Note, to discuss an order. He's a good guy.

The Perfect Note

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Not a clone. Far better.

Bruno Tweedy Pie 35

8. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

i'll look into the tweedy pie. what about mods to a fender reissue that makes it sounds more orig?

evan

9. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

where can I find some tweedy pie clips?

10. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Hey Evan,
    They DO sound like the originals. I had 3 originals and a RI together, and they all sounded a bit different. Neither sounded any more like one than the other, and the RI was a bit punchier and fresher sounding. It had a tube rectifier in place of the stock SS one. I also tried the Victoria, and it is great as well, but to me, sounded no better than my fender RI. It broke up slightly earlier, but the cleans were not as nice. I would say 6 of one 1\2 dozen of the other. The LTD is stellar sounding as well. The tweedy pie however is on another level. It is DIFFERENT though. Less headroom, and more breakup. The amp truly sounds like a vintage amp though, and has some of the most detailed clean tones you will ever hear. The break up is SOOO sweet! One of my favorite Bruno amps. If you can get to Ultrasound in NY, you can play it right next to a Bassman RI and a Victoria. My money says you buy the Bruno. :cool:

11. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

thanks very much tag, I live in california, but I'll look for a dealer in my area, or maybe be on the look out for some clips.

evan

12. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I like the Kendrick 2410 as far as clones go. It's not quite the same, but nothing will be the same as an original 5F6-A Bassman.

13. ricoh

ricoh Member

14. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

A big +1.

15. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Kendrick 2410 and a Victoria45410 right now. I've played through 2 Clarks and I've owned 3 Fender RI bassman in the past. The Fenders are the loudest and the tightest. If set up properly with the same tubes all the high priced bouteek clones are real close. the big thing they all miss compared to a good running old bassman is the smooth transition into overdrive. Clean tones are close providing tubes and speakers match and cranked tones are close as well. the transitional tones are what's missing.