Best tweed tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by el_goodo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. el_goodo

el_goodo Member

What are some great amps for thoses sweet fender Tweed tones? Wattage is not an issue for me, in fact i prefer a louder amp. I have been thinking about a Clark Beafort Special. How does that amp sound?
    Thanks, Charlie.

2. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

If you want Tweed tones............get a tweed. A real tweed. A narrow panel Super is hard to beat.

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

A Tweed Twin Hi Power
    or
    A Tweed Bassman.

Both have great tone too.

4. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I have a Beaufort Special, with attenuator.
    It's very punchy, early breakup. Has the "good" loudness that doesn't ear fatigue you. Mine has the Weber speaker, which I also like for vintage sounds.
    (I also bought, on Bob from Perfect Note's recommendation, a Barb EQ from Dave Barber, which is a kind of eq/boost pedal that really kicks.)

Doesn't sound to me, from what you say, that the Beafort would have enough "loudness" (you mean headroom?) for you. Maybe low-powered tweed twin?
    I took it (the Clark) to a jam a month or so ago (what was I thinking, didn't I swear off that gun-slinger ******** a long time ago?), and it couldn't keep up with the blackface, shake-your-teeth-fillings prevailing on stage, although when you could hear it, it made the other amps sound sterile.
    Hope this helps.

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

For volume and tone, try the 35 watt or 45 watt tweeds. A bassman of some sort wlll give you more of everything. Unless you're rolling in it, you'll end up with either a RI model or one from a contemporary builder.

I prefer the 35 watters. My Clark Tyger (3x10, replica of the Fender tweed bandmaster) coexists quite happily on stage next to cranked Super Reverbs. Best tweed tone? You'll have to be the judge of that. That Clark is right up there.

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Bruno Tweedy pie 35. Tonys take on the dual tube rectifier early bassmans. Jawdropping tone.

7. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Tweed Bassman... vintage, Clark, Vickie, reissue... The reissue is a killer amp. Set up with tube recto, and decent tubes it could be the most underrated used amp out there for around $700.

Tweed Deluxe's, clones (Beaufort) are great amps but not really a giggin' machine for my needs. With a Celestion blue they get nearly loud enough but not much clean on tap. Great sounding amp regardless.

<M

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

my TH club deluxe sounds kinda tweed-ish...and they can be had kinda cheap...not a tweed amp, but kinda....

9. Stormy

Stormy Member

Top Hat club deluxe is a great amp that will get you in the tweed neighborhood.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

And even the 'low power' reissue Fender Twin Tweed. It still gets pretty damn loud, and sounds heavenly.

11. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I like to think in terms of best usable tweed tones, and for me, that is the 3x10 Bandmaster. I have the Victoria Bandmaster; the Clark Tyger gets rave reviews as does the Bruno 35. Just the right balance of headroom, natural overdrive and volume for me.

Sure the Clark Beaufort (Deluxe) is a killer little blues machine. I have one, and I love it. But for the pure joy of Tweed, give me the Bandmaster.

12. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Yup. Either the Tyger or the Vickie bandmaster is my next move. Then I think I'm set. No, really.

13. billdurham

billdurham Member

What is the best speaker for Tweed Deluxe tone?

thanks,
    BD

14. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

"57" Twin re-issue, Mmmmmmmmmm. yea.

15. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Vintage Jensen P12R or Q. If you just feel like rockin' nothin' beats a Celestion blue... but it doesn't sound like a stocker anymore.;)

<M

16. go7

go7 Member

:drool Tweeds are my favourite era amps. Leo at his best. I have a 5e3 deluxe,5f1 ,Victoria 5112 12in. champ and a Ceriatone head 5f4 Super about 35 watts. Truth is I change favourites evey week. Mine are all hand wired point to point clones by Nik Azzume of Ceriatone , They are heads that I play through different cabinets A single 12 in Celestion 70/80 ,a single 12 Cannabis rex and a 2x12 Weber w/12a 150`s. My other amps are a Marshall Ceriatone clone 18 watt [cerca 1965] #1974x and an Emmery Sound Superbaby. Leo fender called his 5f4 Super " my best amp design ever" however no real stars ever picked up on it so it is relatively unknown. It is my Favourite Tweed Lottsa power through a 2x12 and clean to scream via volume on guitar or 4 inputs. I find the tweeds have one thing going for them ,TONE. I gig with different ones depending on size of venue. I don`t play stadiums so the power range suits my size of gig.After a certain point you`re getting miked anyhow,so the name of the game IMHO is tone and the tweeds still deliver big time. Happy trails.

17. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

Any love for the Tweed Pro? That big 15" speaker is just plain fat in that amp.

18. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

The 59 RI, right? Beside tube recto, bias points, pine/lacq cab...are there curcuit or transformer differences compared to the LTD?
    Greg

19. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

My LTD has "Fender 2003" imprinted on the circuit board. Other than that, I don't if it is any different from the earlier model or not. I'm sure someone here will know.

I think the pine cab makes it naturally reverberate more.

20. ES350

ES350 Member

Any love for the Tweed Pro? That big 15" speaker is just plain fat in that amp.

I think it's my absolute favorite tweed amp---stays cleaner than the Super or Bandmaster and sounds incredible with a mike on it. Great for a bunch of different styles; jazz, country swing, rockabilly, blues. It's not a screamer like a wound up Super or BM, but I don't usually use them that way. I only wish they had used a long tail PI in these things to get a little more headroom...