Best under $100 speaker for 5e3

colinesquire

Hello, I have done searches but still looking for options for my tweed. I currently have a red white & blues that I'd like to replace. Looking for something with a similar efficiency but more mids. I find the rwb a little dull especially for live use. I like eminence & also thinking about a swamp thing, cannabis or one of the redcoats-maybe the wizard for max volume? I play snarling garage/surf/psych/blues so needs to cut through & sound big. Are the weber sig 12bs efficient? Not interested in scumback.

Thanks!

schmidlin

I say spend the extra $10 and go for the Weber 12-F150. Perfect speaker for that amp. Punchy mids, too.

RupertB

Silver Supporting Member
Can't help with comparisons but the ceramic Weber Sig 12 in my 5E3 clone is a keeper.

speedemon

Eminence makes cool "US" style speakers, most under $100, but Weber is the "cream" short of a high dollar vintage speaker. My 5e3 comes with an Eminence that is cool. and I also have Weber in a cab to go with it.

Onioner

Perhaps the Grey Wolf would be appropriate too (also about $120-$140, depending on the deal). Lots of folks like Blue Dogs in their 5E3, though I don't. Grey Wolf could give you some of that Blue Dog sizzle and really accent the rough, punchiness of the amp.

Happily, I have one of each sitting here. I'll try it out tomorrow. I really like 5E3s for their out of control wild feeling, so if that's not your thing, then ignore, but, well, I'm curious.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
Ben Fargen likes the Greenback 25 watt for Tweed Deluxe. I think it is pretty good too.

Lost_Cause

I found a fifties vintage Hammond Tone Cabinet with a bunch of vintage 6V6 tubes and a P12Q in it for less than $100. Speaker sounded great in my 59 Tweed Deluxe. It does not walk in the door every day but those deals are out there.

Actually I am going to try that speaker in my 64 Reverberocket this weekend because there seems to be more than a hint of Tweed Deluxe in that amp.

colinesquire

Hi, thanks all for the replies. I did some more research & going to try an eminence gb128 which apparently is their version of a greenback but more efficient & wider tonal spectrum. From what I've read it will fill my need for mids & only about $70. I also have an ampeg j20 which is pretty aggressive in the mids so my mellow red white blues hopefully will work there ok.

Custom Deluxe

Another vote for the Emi Legend. Often overlooked, but there is a resaon Victoria loads these in the their amps.

Great all around speaker IMHO.

colinesquire

Following up-I got a good deal on a legend gb-128 & man is that what I was looking for. It's spec'd slightly more efficient than the RWB but with the extra mids seems much louder. Has a nice woody drive & plenty of snarl. Perfect fit for my 5e3.

Top Bottom