Best used LP for giggin'???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by E-Rock, Jul 17, 2006.

1. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Howdy!
    So, I've never owned a Paul. Always done Strats/Teles and recently have been using a McCarty. The McCarty is great in terms of versatility. But I have been longing for the classic LP tone. Espescially since I have a Club 40 on order :)
    So, I would love to get the big thick classic LP tone, but I'm not sure I really want to buy a new one (you can try to talk me into it). I guess what I'm looking for is a great used LP, something that NAILS that great sound, but I won't care if it gets banged up and abused at our gigs.
    So, what do y'all think? Certain years I should avoid? Certain years that were great 'players' ? Any input would be great as I don't really know much about Les Pauls.
    Thanks!!!
    -e

2. kselbee

kselbee Member

I have a LP Studio that's really great. Cheaper than a standard and I actually like the neck better. The classic white (the one I have) has an ebony board too. If you want a real LP, I think it'd be hard to beat. BTW, I've played lots of standards and most of the new ones don't even compare to my studio.... Gibson puts out lots of sub par guitars IMO.

3. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Yeah, I was thinking studio. It still has the maple top right?

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

For me, it would mostly depend on the neck profile. I think Studios have a pretty fat neck (my preference), while the Classic, which is a couple steps up, has a slimmer 60s neck for those with that preference. I'd get either used and change to alnico based pickups.

5. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

I couldn't agree more.

6. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Yeah, I've played some real duds before, but I've also played some really nice ones. I know I will probably have to play a bunch and find one that works for me.
    I seem to find some 70's and 80's LP from time to time. Word you consider them better or worse than the newer stuff?

7. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

From what I've read, try to get an Epi Elitist.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

E-Rock, I've also played some great inexpensive LPs. A friend recently bought a used Classic for a great price, but both of us hated the pickups. Replaced them with a set of SD 59's (only $90 used), and bango! Instant killer sounds. It rivals my R9s for about 1/3 the price. AC

9. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

A guy who showed me his $100 Aria fake LP that he bought with a headstock crack. Sounded better than my '76 LP Deluxe-standard with RS upgrade and Burstbuckers. Kinda scary, actually.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Don't listen to the anti Gibson Nazi's in here.

There is no better bargain out there then a used R7, and nothing is going to get you the LP tone you crave like a LP, period, end of discussion, take your bat and ball and go home!

Get a used R7 for between $1600-$1800, if it ain't your thing sell it for little or no loss.

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Senior Member

Steve is right, a R7 is a GREAT deal in a historic. If your looking for a great cheaper Les Paul, maybe a Studio.

12. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

Ok, let's not get ridiculous; I don't think there are any "Gibson Nazi's" here. We're just pointing out that much of the non-Custom Shop product suffers from poor quality-control. I can give you a recent example. Went into Guitar Center last week and asked to try out the two Gibson V's they had on the wall. The first one was tuned to drop D. I start sharpening the low E string and blammo the nut cracks in half and the string flies right off the fretboard. Pick up the 2nd one and notice that there is a very large gap between the inlay and the rest of the fretboard. The only reason I wasn't too disappointed is because I've seen so much poor product with the Gibson logo on it that such instances no longer surprise me.

I would definitely try before you buy with Gibson stuff.

13. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Bringen Sie zum Schweigenungläubiger!!

14. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

halten Sie Ihren Kopf im Sand, Dummkopf

15. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Don't speak German, but I think anyone who's ever shopped for an LP knows that Gibson's quality control is some of the worst around. I guess they can get away with it because a good LP sounds AWESOME and everyone wants that sound.

Cheap: Epi, Studio, or LP copy.
    Not-so-cheap: R7, R8 or search for a really good Standard or Classic.
    For those who want a little less gamble in their LP purchase: R9!

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Ok, all kidding aside, there are some great points in this thread. Gibson QC has SUCKED over the years, that is a fact no one can deny.
    But that can be another benefit to buying used, cause any high spots or fawked nut problems should be corrected, I hope.

You should DEFINITLY try before you buy, and if you can not do that then make sure you get an approval period or walk away. I sold two guitars on this site and gave each guy 24-48 hours to approve the guitar, IMO it is the right thing to do and the only way to do business.

In my 3 LP's only my R4 had a lousy set-up, nut was way too high and there were some high frets. To be honest, it really didn't bother me, I have a great local tech and it was easy to correct. It is a great piece of wood though, and now that it has been played in a bit it is a monster of a guitar.

17. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

I like my 1989 Orvile by Gibson Custom. Long neck tenon, Nitro Finsih, great guitar. They have historic featuers for far less money. They can be had around $1k.

18. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

My sentiments exactly.....everyone thats heard or played my historic R7 Goldtop Brazilian has wanted it!! And no its not and I dont think it will ever be for sale!!!:drool

19. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

R7's are great for sure. Not sure of your budget...but the 90's Studios are fantastic guitars as well. Had for well under 1k, smooth pickups and sound killer! Keep in mind the R7's will have slightly wider necks and probably a little heavier. Both are very different play/sound...both great.
    Good luck...and let us know what you decide.

20. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have one LP and it's a Classic. I changed the pickups to Florance/Voodoo Humbucker 59s and it really made the guitar sound great. Everyone I know who plays and has heard the LP always ask me if I'm selling it. I hate the neck profile, but I'm not an LPer so I don't think another one is coming my way in the near future. If I was to get another one I'd get a fatter neck one, but my Classic does sound really good.