Best value 4x12 with Greenbacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marble, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Marble

Marble Member

I'm going to buy a 4x12, and I want Greenbacks in it. My guitar foil has an Avatar cab with Greenbacks, and so thats around $560 shipped if I were to get one. I'm wondering if that's the best value for a cab w/ Greenbacks, I haven't found many 4x12s with this speaker combo. There's a Marshall for $1000+ so that's out of the question.

The Greenbacks go for like $105 each so that kind of blows the idea out of the water of getting a used cab for around $200 dollars and changing the speakers out. I guess they don't offer a package deal on 4 Greenbacks...

Suggestions?

2. mj07

mj07 Member

Keep an eye out on a used Marshall 1960AX or 1960C.

3. Marble

Marble Member

There's actually a used 1960AC at Elderly Instruments in Lansing (hour away from me) for $575...but I could get a new one for the price. I know the people there so I could talk them down some. I don't mind breaking in my own speakers, and I'm not sure about the slant cab.

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Carvin Legacy cabs once came with greenbacks

5. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

Keep your eyes peeled for a Marshall 425A or B.....those are the Vintage Modern cabs, and they use the same greenback found in the Hendrix handwired cabs.

I've heard rumors they've been discontinued- you may be able to find a deal on one.

6. Marble

Marble Member

Maybe. It seems like almost all the used Marshall cabs I see are slant cabs. It would be great to have a Marshall, but what do you guys think about it having a BF or SF Bassman head on top? Marshall's look awesome with thier matched rigs but I don't know about Bassman/Marshall. I know it would sound awesome.

7. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

the dude in rhinobucket played a tele through a bf bassman and a marshall 4x12(couple years ago). looked great, sounded better.

8. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

For only the first year they made them, good luck finding one! Every single one I've seen was loaded with V30's

9. chetbango

chetbango Member

Another vote for the used Marshall route. I imagine the Fender head should fit fine on a slanted cab, the Fenders don't look much deeper than the Marshalls but I am not sure. It would be pretty easy to put a board on top if needed though.

A big advantage of the slanted is they are much better for playing if you need to stay near your amp due to room size. The 4x12 are incredibly directional, and the slanted cabs point the sound more towards your ears if you are within 10 or so feet of it. Not a problem if you have a huge practice space or monitors.

Check your local Craigslist, if it is anything like SF Bay area, you can regularly pick up Marshall 4x12's in the $400's.

10. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

If you want to purchase new Greenbacks, check out Avatar Speakers, his prices are hard to beat. There is an orange tolex 4x12 Germino cab for sale on the amps and cabs eporium loaded with Brittish Greenbacks.

11. Marble

Marble Member

There's an angled Marshall near me for $250, but thats still another $400 bucks for speakers. It has speakers in it, but I doubt I could very much for them, they are Celestions but either ****** ones or just something that I would get 50-100 bucks for on ebay.

12. StratTone

StratTone Member

Hell if you lived close to me I would sell you my AX, or BX or $600. I keep trying to find someone local to just trade me a nice small combo for one or both.

13. Marble

Marble Member

^ what state do you live in

14. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Avatar Speakers prices for Greenbacks as per Dave

Greenbacks $99 + $12 shipping ..
    two $185+19 shipping, Four speakers $349+29 shipping, 8 ohm , 16 ohm

I have no affilation with Avatar Speakers

15. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

www.mathercab.com - he's builds the cabs for several boutique amp guys. His Marshall repro without speakers sells for $355.

I would then throw in some Green Berets from Warehouse Speakers. They sell for $69 each and are top-notch

www.warehousespeakers.com

16. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

:aokBig thumbs up for Peter Mather, just spectacular cabs for very resonable $

17. Marble

Marble Member

So how does the Green Beret compare to the standard Greenbacks? How about the Mojotone GBs? My friend and I each have a quad of mojotone 10s (unknown model, they came already installed) in our Bassman and Super and have always been happy with them.

I would hate to spend $280 for a quad of GB clones when I could get the real thing for $350 (plus shipping........), or the real thing as in not made in USA/England, but branded that way...

Early speaker breakup and good tone (I suppose quite a bit of mids as per the classic GB...I dial mids down to about 2) is my biggest want out of the greenback. I wonder how big of a difference the higher db rating of the Green Berets compare. I'd rather not increase my output any louder than it is with my Bassman when it's dimed.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009