Best value for a Midi Controller to use with Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MikeVB, May 6, 2015.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I'm looking for the best value for a Midi Controller to use with Logic Pro X.

I'm a guitarist and other stringed instrument player, and I want to add some piano and B3 parts to my original recordings. I know how to construct the basic one-handed major/minor chords and bang them out slowly on a keyboard.

But I'd like to be able to take advantage of Logic's Midi Chord Trigger to play chords with one finger for recording.

Which Midi Controller in the sub $300 neighborhood would be best value?

I'm thinking 49 keys.

2. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Check out Nektar Panorama or Impact Series. Extremely well integrated with Logic.

3. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Good deal. I'll check them out.

4. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

They fly under the radar. 90% of the rest of the market is owned by one company, that's never a good thing. I'd check out the various Novation controllers as well. They are blowing out the Remote SLII Series and the Impulse line is nice too.

5. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I think Novation has some Automap issues that making some Logic X guys tear their hair out. But could have the brand wrong.

That's the main issue is that several of the major players seem to have some issues with Logic X.

6. Dee-low

Dee-low Member

best bang for the buck - nector impact - I have the novation impulse and automap is a PITA

7. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Well, son of a b$&@c! I just ordered an Impulse this afternoon. Couple guys on the Logic forum suggested a Novation. I thought you could turn off AutoMap somehow?

8. Dee-low

Dee-low Member

you can turn off the automap - automap is great in theory - I do need to roll up my sleeves and dig in more because it can be pretty cool - I just need to figure it out more - the keyboard bed has a great feeling, this was my main reason for purchasing- impulse automap needs more instructional videos though. definitely not a bad keyboard. my brother got the nector impact which does seem like a big bang for the buck - just get ready to do some homework with automap - it does work easy for play, pause record etc. Congrats on the purchase- Did you get the 25, 49 or 61? - I grabbed the 49

9. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I ordered the 49. I decided this morning to order a Nektar Impact 49 also. I'll likely return the Novation to save the headaches and a few bucks.