• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Value for Hollow-Body?

MarkF786

What's the best value (ie. bang-for-buck) in a hollow-body? I'm looking for something below $1K, but something around the $500 price range would be even better. Of course getting a used one would make it a better value still, though I'd also consider new.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

m@2

not really a true hollow body, but a used Gibson ES137 can be had for 1k, and is a really fun guitar ..

sector9

The Gretsch 51xx electromatic series is far better than the guitars mentioned above. Excellent quality and a blast to play.

chucke99

Don't we answer this question like twice a week? My usual answer is look to the Ibanez AS semi-hollow line. Even the AS-73, which can be had for $300 new, is a well built guitar, but as the numbers go higher, so does the build quality. AS-83 and AS-93 are better still, and the AS103, which you can find used on eBay for $600 or a little less, is stunningly superior. Here's my AS103NT, with replaced pups and knobs (both of those vintage Ibanez):

YETI

I second the Ibanez series. Nice stuff for the price..(I have owned one)

The 137's are nice as well....

chucke99

In threads such as this, it might be helpful to ask/determine if the people recommending the guitars are simply recommending the ones they happen to own.
I can't recommend something I haven't either owned or played extensively. I make it a point never to trash anything I haven't owned. So while I recommend the Ibanez AS series, I won't say anything against Epi dots, Heritage, or any other that I haven't had the experience with. I also wouldn't recommend something JUST because I own it.

Trending Topics