Best value for money Gibson Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rickkkyrich, Feb 17, 2012.

1. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Member

Hi guys
    I've been drooling over for a Gibson Les Paul for quite sometime now. I don't have lot of money with me so i wanted to know what's the best that i can get for 600-800$? I have seen a few LP junior on the emporium in this range but i dunno if it's worth it..

thanks a lot !

2. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

You can get a used Studio all day long in your price range. I'd take a serious look at those and try out several.

Go after the Juniors if you're not so much into the typical, Les Paul humbucking sound. Those generally have P90's and are great for straight-up rocking out. Especially if your first name is Billie.

3. cob666

cob666 Member

You might be able to find a '60 Classic in the upper end of your range there. One of the nicest Les Pauls I've ever owned. I've heard that the earlier models are a bit better built than the later ones.

4. mfitz804

mfitz804 Member

I agree with the above. Traditional LP sound, get a Studio. A Junior is a totally different animal, which I prefer personally, but it is a matter of personal preference.

5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Member

If any of you is selling one such axe.. Lemme know please...

6. goodwater

goodwater Member

used Studio--look for one from the early 90s with the ebony board imo

7. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Member

Thanks for your inputs... i appreciate it...

8. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I totally agree.

10. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Early 90's classics are the best value in used imo
    My 90 goldie is :drink:love:

but they are more than your budget

11. QQQ

QQQ Member

^^^ Totally agree.

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Member

i guess les paul studio gets most of the votes.. I'll start searching for one... thanks a lot for the help.

13. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I was surprised at how good the Bonamassa Studio sounded and played- check some of those out.......

I'd rather see some wood grain than Gold Paint but the thing really sounded excellent.

14. Duffy

Duffy Member

On South bank of Susquehanna River in North Centra
    Brand new maple cap faded Studios are really nice, 799, with Burstbucker Pro pickups and a very smooth satin finish, not a grainy mahogany unpolished top. Very good looking brown or cherry finish with a nice natural maple wood grain top. Some of the big internet places are selling them at fifteen percent off plus free shipping. That brings it down to six something.

In my personal experience these are very nice, for the price. I bought a real nice faded brown one and the chambered body doesn't subtract from it having a great tone, plus it makes it slightly lighter. It isn't a super light guitar like my PRS SE Standard though, that wants to float away when I'm playing it. I have to say I really like that PRS though and no longer think a guitar has to be heavy to be a great guitar. This is just my experience. I have some solid Les Pauls and an Agile LP copy that are not chambered and I like the weight. They are just two different roads, both of which are beautiful, in my opinion. I wouldn't be afraid of a chambered Les Paul, what so ever.

15. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

+1 on the new Studio Faded, 50s/60s Tribute, or a used (2010 or earlier) Junior. I have all three, and they are great guitars that won't break the bank. In your price range I wouldn't settle for a copy, especially if you really want a Gibson. Used Studios are also a very good option.
    You add RS SuperPots, vintage wiring and paper-in-oil caps and you have something that rivals LPs with pricetags 5x higher.
    Good luck on your search.

16. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Hey guys, I saw a killer deal on Craigslist that I wanted to pass along. If I had the available cash, I'd get it myself. But unfortunately, I just can't. Anyway, if you check Nashville Craigslist right now, there's a 2001 Gary Moore Signature Les Paul for sale by the original owner for $1200. It's got the original case and all the goodies with it. The pictures show the guitar as very clean. This is a real steal for someone. I don't have any association with the seller, but I've had one of these, and I know they are great guitars. Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along. It won't last long at that price. I never see them under $2K any more.

17. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Killer deal.

18. zastruga

zastruga Member

In that price range? Studio 50's/60's Tribute is a no brainer, plus it gives me an excuse to post this again:

Seriously though, GREAT guitar for not a lot of money.

[​IMG]