• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Value P90 Singlecut Guitar!

Befuddled

Hey all, yet another long-time lurker, but first-time poster. This forum has guided me well throughout many pedal purchases and trades.
I have sprung for a Godin Core P90 GT from UpFront guitars, B-Stock for a great price.
After more research, I have found several PRS SE 245 Soapbar guitars on Reverb.
I am asking all PRS and Godin owners for advice on how might the neck and fretboard on the Godin would compare to the Wide-Fat neck on a PRS. I prefer a Wide, flat fretboard, and don't mind a little chunkiness in the neck. I would love some advice here, as I would rather not try acquire the PRS and compare; shipping is forever a hassle. Thanks everyone!

Core P90 From Godin

PRS from Reverb

73Fender

Really the PRS wide fat is neither fat or wide. It is a pleasing shape though somewhat chunky and of average nut width the specs are out there

Befuddled

Really the PRS wide fat is neither fat or wide. It is a pleasing shape though somewhat chunky and of average nut width the specs are out there
So assuming playability is comparable, if I could get each at the same price, which would be the better value, in your opinion?

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
Agree with 73Fender - the PRS WF neck is very pleasing and for me, easy to play. I LOVE it.

My bandmate has a Godin and while we both like it, it's unusual enough to really warrant a test drive before purchasing. The body shape is a little unusual, the neck is nice, but very flat - almost feels like a classical guitar neck in some ways to me. It was well built and sounds great.

But the PRS SE line is REALLY hard to beat. They are well built, easy to play, and sound really good too. And they're cheap, especially used. IMHO you won't at all be disappointed with the SE245; in fact I'd lay money that you really, really like it.

Also one of the masterstrokes of PRS' SE line is that the overall feel of the guitars is the same as their US line. (body size, neck shape, scale length, neck radius) e.g. the SE245 will feel and play VERY much like an American SC245 - so if you ever decide to upgrade, you'll know what you're getting into.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
I love P-90's and I just don't like those stock PRS SE pickups at all. They lack most of what makes P-90's great. I have always felt the guitars played fantastic though...they just need a pickup swap IMO.

Befuddled

Love the guitar, Rotten. So while I have looked harder at the PRS 245's on Reverb, my issue still stands that I cannot really try one out or compare the two without ordering one of each, which is quite a hassle. I suppose the best solution would be to wait and see how much I like the Godin, and if I don't like it I will give the PRS a go. If I do like it, the issue would be settled, at least until GAS gets the best of me and I order the PRS to see if I might like it even more!

Are there just not many Godin Core P90 owners out there??

fareye

I can't say anything comparing the 2 necks because I've only played a PRS once many years ago. I have however owned many Godins and currently still own one (a Belmont). The necks on all of the Godins I've owned or played are neither wide nor chunky - in fact, I'd describe them as pencil thin. They are however flat (most have a 12in radius). I wish Godin made something with a nice chunky neck. BTW, all of the Godins have sounded fantastic - they just have really skinny necks.

Bluesidae

I love Godin necks. One reason why I think Godin guitars are fantastic. P90's are great. I believe the Godin has SD's. What does the PRS have??

Befuddled

Here is an update!
So I just got the Godin and the neck is pleasantly flat and nice, the body is light, and worth the volume and tone full open the p90s sound rocking.

My problem is that the volume roll off is simply awful. Once the volume is backed off of 10, the sound immediately gets much darker and muddier; it sounds like the tone is being rolled back to 0 once the volume is off 10.

Being that the pickups are p90s, what should I do electronically to improve this situation?

Tweedledee

Here is an update!
So I just got the Godin and the neck is pleasantly flat and nice, the body is light, and worth the volume and tone full open the p90s sound rocking.

My problem is that the volume roll off is simply awful. Once the volume is backed off of 10, the sound immediately gets much darker and muddier; it sounds like the tone is being rolled back to 0 once the volume is off 10.

Being that the pickups are p90s, what should I do electronically to improve this situation?
Installing a treble bleed is one potential solution.

Befuddled

So after getting down to a far away music store and comparing the two through a hot rod deluxe, I have decided that The Godin definitely has the PRS beat in terms of quality feel (especially in the fingerboard) and also in my personal opinion in pickups.

The PRS was also much heavier which definitely created a much different tone than the Godin, which is chambered, light, and woody sounding.
RJLII, what is the market price for that heritage? I have not really given them much thought. Looks very Gibson melody maker esque

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
The issue I have with all the PRS SE's is that the finish is way thick, killing tone.I owned a few. My current fave p90 guitar is the Gibson Tribute 50's LPs .. Cheap to buy, thin finish, good woods, descent build quality..They are the only guitar that Gibson sells that's worth the $$ you pay for them..(under $1000 . Used, under $700). I like Godins construction and woods but their necks are to thin for me.

Befuddled

The issue I have with all the PRS SE's is that the finish is way thick, killing tone.I owned a few. My current fave p90 guitar is the Gibson Tribute 50's LPs .. Cheap to buy, thin finish, good woods, descent build quality..They are the only guitar that Gibson sells that's worth the $$ you pay for them..(under $1000 . Used, under $700). I like Godins construction and woods but their necks are to thin for me.
I completely agree with your take on the PRS finish, it's slathered on there and makes the whole piece look rather gaudy. I suppose since my hands are smaller I can stomach the Godin neck, but I still remember an old Gibson melody maker I played with a nice thick neck and a flat board. Very fun guitar

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I completely agree with your take on the PRS finish, it's slathered on there and makes the whole piece look rather gaudy. I suppose since my hands are smaller I can stomach the Godin neck, but I still remember an old Gibson melody maker I played with a nice thick neck and a flat board. Very fun guitar
Yea, those old melody makers were really cool guitars... Pat Travers likes his

RJLII

So after getting down to a far away music store and comparing the two through a hot rod deluxe, I have decided that The Godin definitely has the PRS beat in terms of quality feel (especially in the fingerboard) and also in my personal opinion in pickups.

The PRS was also much heavier which definitely created a much different tone than the Godin, which is chambered, light, and woody sounding.
RJLII, what is the market price for that heritage? I have not really given them much thought. Looks very Gibson melody maker esque

They're like a cross between a Junior and a Special. Cost varies. Wolfe Guitars in Florida is a good source for a new one. Find a used one if you can. I had one a while back and foolishly traded it for an amp I thought I needed. Mine had Sperzel tuners, Pigtail bridge, Lollar P90s, and sounded great.

Trending Topics