Best value passive monitors?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MikeVB, Jan 23, 2012.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

My mains are powered QSC K12 speakers. In my acoustic duet we've been using Fishman Loudbox Mini quite successfully as a monitor.

Now 4-piece rock band project is getting cranked up, and we're maybe month or two out from being tight and gig-worthy. So I'm starting to think about monitoring. Researching every possibility:
    - IEM probably out due to $$; and we run sound from the "stage"
    - the K12s work great in practice, so I've thought about maybe K10s for wedges
    - but for the same money as two used K10s I could get a good used QSC power amp and maybe 4 decent passive wedges.

What passive wedges and power amp would be worth considering?

2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

We run sound from the stage also more often than not. You would definitely have to go used to get 4 wedges and a quad amp or two stereo amps for less than a few K10s.

EV ELX112P would be a bit more affordable than the qsc option and would be a good sounding monitor.

For passive option the Yamaha SM15V or SM12V are extremely reliable, sound great, we keep 6 in the trailer even after going to in ear monitors. When we need a bit more power for outdoors we'll toss a pair up on stands and use them for side fill mains reinforcement and for a wide stage we'll put a pair up for front fills. Good versatile cabinets without a huge layout in cash.

3. Mark McPheeters

Mark McPheeters Member

I'd take a look at a Crown XLS1500 and some EV ELX112 speakers.

Those Yamaha club speakers are a good choice too....

4. 335guy

335guy Member

Our band uses Yamaha Clubs for wedge monitors with a Crown Xs 500 amp and find they work pretty good, especially for the price. One can often find them fairly cheap used. Make sure to get the V series, as they have better drivers and crossovers. The Crown Xs puts out 500 watts RMS into 4 ohms per side. So it is fairly ideal to power (4) wedges and allows for (2) separate monitor mixes. Only having two monitor mixes may not be enough for some bands, but it works okay for us. The ELX112 passive speakers ( at $299.00 map ea.) are pretty good but you can get as good of performance with the Yamaha Clubs IMO. You'll need an equalizer as well, to fine tune them for monitor duty.

5. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Another recomendation for the clubs. As for amps, lots of choices out there. Personally, I like the crown drivecore series. The xls2000 would provide plenty of power, basic dsp and it weighs about 7 lbs.

What you didn't make clear in your post was how many mixes you need. If you want to run 4, you'd obviously need two amps. If that is the case, look at the peavey ipr 1600. A little less fancy that the crown but they are priced right and about 6 lbs each.

6. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

Yamaha is always good, and I've had great results with the JBL JRX112's and the older Sound Factor series. I power them with QSC GX3's now, but used a pair of ancient 1400 Series One amps for a long time.
    The JRX's also have a ginchy dual-angle pole mount socket for use as mains. Great, lightweight speaker for those restaurant and small club gigs.

7. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Do you guys still use IEM when mixing from the stage? How do you set your mix for FOH?

Thanks for all the suggestions to check out guys.

8. 3dognate

We do use IEM when mixing from the stage. The drummer runs the mix, I'm a wireless guitarist. I will typically run out to FOH during sound check and hand signal the drummer. We also use a Presonus Studio Live mixer, which allows us to save everything and recall it. Which means sound check is usually not much more than setting input levels and verifying that the mix is OK. We also use a DBX Driverack 260 for eq, compression, limiting, feedback reduction. Makes for a pretty fuss free setup once all the cabling is done.

If you do go with wedges, you won't be disappointed with those yamahas. IEM recommendations are a whole other thread.

9. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I also use a SL 16.4.2 mixer. What IEM and wireless guitar rigs do you use, just out of curiosity.

10. 3dognate

I use a Mipro 808T/R with 1964Ears Monitors. ("LOVE IT!") I'm thrilled to have the Mipro set. "very" Natural sounding even with the stock buds... I'd put this set up against anything... My buddy also replaced a Shure PSM400 unit with it and couldn't be happier.

My Drummer uses an Audio-Technica M2 Also a respectable unit for the $

The rest of the band uses Carvin EM900. Lotta bang for the buck here too... excellent full featured intro to in ears.

I actually picked up the Carvin UX16 Wireless as an interim solution till I found something I liked... I've not felt the need to replace it. Works a charm and has good battery life.

11. 3dognate

I'll also add since we are talking IEMs and Monitors...

The best thing that we did for our front of house sound was to eliminate the floor wedges and backline amps... I had no idea just how much the floor wedges were swamping the house system. Our front of the house sound is SO MUCH cleaner. Yeah, it doesn't serve my burning desire to play a cranked tube amp... but that's not really the point... People are really enjoying our performances and we get so many compliments on how good the sound is. Before, when we had wedges and back line amps... people would always remark as to how loud we were... as in "Damn, you guys are the loudest band I've seen in a club in long time."

Plus with IEM we have been adding some backing tracks for instruments that we don't have and that allows us to play songs that we wouldn't normally be able to pull off really well. We are about entertaining and are trying to not be extremely self indulgent with song choice and backing tracks help broaden the variety... we are all about getting butts in bar stools and buying drinks... entertain, get paid and asked back to do it again.