Best values in the $300 range?

james...

I've been out of the game for a couple of years. Been happy with my small stock of guitars but I've been feeling the bug lately. Gas is kicking in. I've got a tax return coming and I can spare a little for something on the cheaper end.

What are the real steals in the used market now? I remember the G&L tribute stuff being really good. What else is out there?

Promit

Used MIM Fenders or some of those VM Squiers. Alternately one of the Schecter C-1 guitars or even an Agile. Keep your nose open for Craigslist scores too, I have done very well for less money than that.

peskypesky

Used MIM Fenders or some of those VM Squiers. Alternately one of the Schecter C-1 guitars or even an Agile. Keep your nose open for Craigslist scores too, I have done very well for less money than that.
Classic Vibe Squiers and Agiles are good choices for sure.
And if you're looking for a hollow-body electric, check out the Ibanez Artcores.

smakked

I wish i could get a MIM start in Australia for under 300 , man we get ripped off over here.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
So many great options at the $300 price point on the used market! PRS SEs, some of the LTDs, Classic Vibes and some of the Vintage Modifieds and lots of MIM offerings. Some of the Gretsch imports aren't too bad either.

For older options, Japanese Fenders and Squiers, Korean Ibanez and Epiphones though you need to look through more examples to find the real gems.

I have 'better' guitars, but I could easily live the rest of my life playing only my JV Series Squier strat and my Ibanez AX125 though both have been upgraded to a bit beyond $300.

halgrind

You can usually find some nice used Schecters cheap. Very low resale value.

If you have a good eye and ear for red flags and can make basic repairs, craigslist is a good option. You can find some amazing deals. Personally I wait for great deals to pop up on new guitars, I'm too paranoid about craigslist.

CubanB

I've had good experiences with Sterling but it depends if you want a humbucker in the bridge or not. The Sterling silo's or Subs are quite good.. as are everything else listed in this topic.. especially the MIM strats, CV's.. strat wise. But pretty much everything is well made these days IMO, unless it's a dud, which happens even with MIA strats or Gibsons.

Oh.. Yamaha Pacificas are really good too.

joemiracle220

MIM fenders
PRS SE
G&L tribute
Yamaha pacificia - great guitars believe it or not for the money
squire classic vibe

chucke99

I'm an Ibanez guy, but I concur with the suggestions below, as I have owned several of each variety:

PRS SE's
MIM Fenders
Classic Vibe Squiers
Ibanez Artcores
Agiles (go for as high a number as you can, 2500+ preferably, as those come with ebony boards)

If you're into Strats, you might be able to find someone with a Squier Standard (not Infinity or Bullet) that they don't think is worth more than $100. They are shoulders and above the Infinities when it comes to quality. Ditto with the Standard Tele's.

morglan

Silver Supporting Member
Suppose I could, what would I be looking for?
I just saw an American Special Tele on my local CL yesterday. The seller was asking for $400. I almost called on Iit just to try flipping it, but I got distracted...

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I'm an Ibanez guy, but I concur with the suggestions below, as I have owned several of each variety:

PRS SE's
MIM Fenders
Classic Vibe Squiers
Ibanez Artcores
Agiles (go for as high a number as you can, 2500+ preferably, as those come with ebony boards)

If you're into Strats, you might be able to find someone with a Squier Standard (not Infinity or Bullet) that they don't think is worth more than $100. They are shoulders and above the Infinities when it comes to quality. Ditto with the Standard Tele's.
Yep... I have a strat addiction. I have several strats, nicely modded, but I can't seem to say no to anything playable for under $100.

Bought a Squier Standard in Cherry Burst for $50 the other day. To be honest, I went in to buy a mint pickguard for a project but this entire guitar was $20 more (and they didn't have any Fender brand mint guards in stock). Decent neck, nice enough Alnico pickups (as long as you aren't comparing them to Custom Shop, Fralins or Lollars) and solid hardware.

Cornholio

Ibanez Roadstar II from the early to mid 80's (preferably the non floyd versions).

I have one with 3 single coils and a phase switch. Great neck, nice quality construction, and sounds great. $200 is what I paid.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
You got a Standard for $50?? I'm jealous! Not that I need another Squier Strat. But that is a ridiculously low price.
Yeah... at Guitar Center! They had three or four Standards ranging from $50 to $100 and a couple other lower brands like Turser and Reynolds for $39 each. They were just overrun with low end strats.

I'll take a pic. I thought I had one handy but I couldn't find it. Looks like the American Deluxe in the same color but with less flashy inlays.

I actually bought it with the idea of swapping the pickguard for a white one so I could use the mint on another project and flipping the Squier but I think I'll keep it and refinish it in another surfy color... I'm addicted to the surfy colors.

:p