1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best Versatile Compressor: Tone Pump, Diamond Comp, HBE, Other?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Jan 4, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hey guys, i'm new to compressors and i just want one that is quiet and versatile. i want to be able to get subtle compression all the way to country squish.

any suggestions?

thanks, jon

2. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

The Carl Martin compressor is the most versatile for my needs. I can dial anything from chicken pickin to increased sustain. There are 4 knobs on this one, so there's a bit of a learning curve, but it's a very high quality sounding pedal.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I like the Analog Man Bi-Comp. Two classic comps {Ross & OJ} in one tiny pedal.

4. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I like (and have) the Keeley comp, but for single coils only.

Not to steal the thread, but .... what´s the best compressor pedal out there for use with humbuckers?

5. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I'm using the Carl Martin with Dimarzio Humbuckers and it works great for me. I used the HBE prior to the CM and while the HBE offered nice compression, I could dial in a more usable sound on the CM. I also like the separate LED on the CM that lights up as the compression is kicking in.

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

For your needs I would recommend a Barber Tone Press or a Tone Factor Squeeze Factor. Both can blend from clean boost to full compression. The Squeeze Factor is what I use now and is based on the Dan Armstrong Orange comp...Barber is a Ross sounding circuit.

7. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

Yeah, I had forgotten about the Tone Press. I used to leave that one on all the time. That blend feature was really nice. Very easy to dial in a great sound.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've had a few compressors, still have the Barber Tone Press, but as unpopular as it is here to recommend non-butique pedals, with my experiences so far I can see no reason to pay extra, when the Marhall ED-1 (Ed the Compressor) is so much more inexpensive, has such a great sound, is small, dependable, and even has a great little feature that lets you "skew" which frequencies you will compress more...high or low.

I was pretty amazed at it, and it was one of the first I bought. In the end, I liked it as much or more than any of them.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the marshall ED-1. I used one once in the studio, and was blown away by how clean it sounded! Used it on the recording, very versatile and the best comp for the price (except for maybe a modded cs-3 by monte allums), and heck, for some even higher priced

I'll also recommend the retro-sonic compressor. It's a Ross clone, except with higher quality components (less noise, better tone)

The diamond comp is a very passive effect, even with compression maxxed, you won't get squishy tones.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The thing about the ED-1 also, more than any I've tried anyway, is it can do the "squish it to death, country from hell" sound, but also easily get the "don't know it's on, doing anything, until I turn it off and lose the sparkle".

I mean, I am sure it isn't perfect, but so far those little Marshall pedals (I recently bought the VT-1 (real vibrato, tremolo) and I tried a LOT of trems...it was the best regardless of cost for me) are really underrated and overlooked by lots of folks.

They don't cost that much, they (to me) sound great and don't tone suck. Only complaint I have is the damned chromed knobs are impossible to see where you have 'em set. Though a lot of time I either adjust from where I am-> where I'm trying to get, but that really is a drawback. Going to try and use my Dremel to etch arrows into them, see how that goes.

Only other thing is, the footswitch placement, while really convenient and all, is on an angle and kind of low, so if you have a pedalboard it needs to be on the first row or you gotta do the toe-pointer thing and risk a pulled thigh muscle, OR if you have a lip on the pedalboard front it could be a problem.

11. rorschah

rorschah Member

Hey - of the Tone Press, Squeeze Factor, and ED-1, which could function in the usual intense compression ways, and also provide the best, uh, jazzifying of a 335?

My 335 works great for fusion, modern stuff, but it's a bit too twangy-biting for more trad stuff, and, lacking a jazz box, could one of these just take the edge off and roundify it a little?

12. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

Tone Press all the way for me. Definitely the most versatile. It's the blend knob and the transparency that put it above the rest IMO. Check out this thread to brush up on all its merits:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=122284

As far as "jazzifying" a 335, the Tone Press works for me. I use the internal trim pot to make the pedal a little darker for my D'Angelico Excel DC (which is a higher-end 335 copy). It takes some of the honk out of the guitar. IMO, the first steps to jazzifying a 335 are heavy strings (.012s at least) and half the treble rolled off the neck pickup.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really like the AnalogMan CompROSSor Ross clone. I have my eyes potentially on a Tone Factor Squeeze Factor Orange Squeezer clone as well.

14. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

I've used a few. In terms of versatility the Hexacomp is in a class by itself. You can get many sounds with it, many of which you will not want to use :)

One that has remained with me for a while now is the Blackbox Oxygen. For those of you counting knobs, it has six :)

http://www.blackboxmusicfx.com/oxy.html

I appreciate the idea of having a gate built-in.

15. Teahead

Teahead Member

I've tried the Keeley, HBE, Boss CS3 & BJF Pale Green. The Pale Green is my favourite, followed by the HBE, then the Keeley. I wouldn't recommend the CS3 at all. The "Body" knob of the Pale Green makes it very versatile, but it doesn't have the super squash of the Keeley. Best bang for the buck lies with the HBE, it gives very natural amp-like compression.