Best Vibrato Pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ian, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Ian

Ian Member

Hey Guys!

Who is making the BEST vibrato pedal now?

My reference for Vibrato is the vibrato section of the original Roland CE1 Chorus Ensemble, which I used for 30+ years.

I currently have an original BOSS VB-2 Vibrato, but wondering if there is something better out there?

BTW, the VB2 is supposed to be the vibrato side of the CE1, but it does NOT sound the same...

Thanks
    Ian

2. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I didn’t think the VB-2 was the vibrato side of the CE-1, but I could be mistaken.

So, if I am indeed mistaken, disregard this suggestion.

Having a VB-2w and CE-2w in addition to playing many pitch vibratos vs chorus vibrato, I think if the CE-1 is your vibrato reference then you’ll likely prefer chorus.

I love this sound on the CE-2w and Retro Sonic Chorus, which are copping the original CE-1 sound.

Pitch vibrato is a great shade to have on the pallet even if you’ve got chorus vibrato covered, so I prefer having both.

3. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

This concept of “best”, hoo wee. What’s that even mean, anyway, in this world of the subjective?

On a tip from the great @Tri Pedal Reviews I picked up the Behringer vibrato box. Cost about the same as a giant gumball, and I couldn’t be more pleased.

Unless your thing is vibrato (I’m a vibe guy), if you only plan on occasional or average use, I highly recommend looking into that killer pedal.

Jumi and Fretlessbaby like this.
  4. AgentDouble

AgentDouble Member

already posted here, but once again :
    Any Boss Chorus (CE-3, CH-1, CE-5, CEB-3, CE-2w) with a dummy plug in the 2nd output will do the trick. Dry sound is cancelled by the plug, so you just hear pitch vibrato wet sound. Instant VB-2 for budget money !

dshobe and Fretlessbaby like this.
  5. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

The correct answer is that the Boss VB-2w is the best vibrato. That is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

But the EQD Aqueduct is batshit crazy and also awesome.

johnetone and Original_Fire like this.
  6. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

If your specifically after the ce1 vibrato sound there are a few options
    Boss waza vibrato runs 150-200
    Behringer vibrato getting harder to find 60-80
    Retro sonic ce1 200-249
    Mr black vintage ensemble 220-250 another ce1 cloneish pedal but mr black also just recently put out a mini chorus which is a dsp based ce1 circuit (that sounds amazing) and with the mix fully wet does the ce1 vibrato and new it's 100 ... I just ordered one

Aside from ce1 vibrato there are some other pedals out there that do the magnatone style vibrato
    Bigfoot fx magnavibe 179 shipped from builder
    Joe gore purr 230-250
    Big tone Maggie

It's a bit long but also comprehensive but tri pedal reviews did a huge shootout

7. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

Boss CE-2 Waza has CE1 chorus/vibrato modes.
    Retro Sonic make/made a CE1 clone too.

tobereleased and Original_Fire like this.
  8. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

9. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

PedalCrazyFool likes this.
  10. 71strat

71strat Member

Roger Mayer Voodoovibe+
    MOOG MF108 Clusterflux
    Effectrode Tube Vibe

VooDooClown and rwijaya like this.
  11. what?

what? Member

I have both the ce1 and vb2 and i agree with you that they dont have the same sound. The ce1 sounds more organic more straight forward pitch bending throbbing goodness whereas the vb2 have that chorusy 80s thing on top of its vibrato.

I love them both and use them for different applications. If i have to choose 1 i think it would be the vb2. I just love how lush it sounds. But i have both so i dont have to choose one haha

12. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

Happy original VB-2 & CE-1 user here too :) My current favourite is the BigToneMusicBrewery Maggie...lovely piece of kit, especially in stereo!

13. Riffa

Riffa Member

TC Shaker isn't half bad.

14. THiwaTT

THiwaTT Member

The Diamond Vibrato is fantastic

It can do subtle to seasick, and will even do a faux Leslie thing pretty well

Bort, awallace, sanfi4u and 1 other person like this.
  15. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

The VB-2 is no more the vibrato side of the CE-1 than the CE-2 is the chorus side. You get a very different shape LFO on the CE-1, more square wave. The CE/VB-2 is more a standard sine wave.

Tung-Sol Tube likes this.
  16. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

That’s the complete opposite of my experience haha.

To me the CE-1 vibrato sounds like a continuation of the chorus, just a touch “wetter”. It’s a nice Leslie ish tone, but anyone wanting true pitch vibrato is bound to be disappointed. It sounds very chorusy.

The VB-2 is 100% wet, and has no chorus tones. It sounds like fingerboard vibrato, or the tremolo arm on a strat. I wasn’t around in 1982 to see how it was marketed originally, but I don’t recall the vb-2 manual claiming it to be the CE-1 vibrato when I flicked through it.

Sounds to me like the OP wants a CE-2W or a Retro Sonic chorus. The VB-2s appeal is, aside from sounding good, it has the unique unlatch mode, and with the rise time control, you can add a momentary swell of vibrato here and there in a passage. True pitch Vibrato on a cyclical LFO gets stale real quick.

17. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

Yeah, I've tried both the VB2w and CE2w in store (don't own either but plan to own both... eventually). The vibrato sounds are quite different, and my understanding is that the CE2w vibrato is specifically modelled after the vibrato from the CE1, whereas the vibrato from the VB2w is its own thing - with a much smoother LFO.

In my Boss SY-300, if I run the chorus module 100% I get something more like the CE2W vibrato (although a bit more square wavish), and if I use a 100% modulated delay with a very short delay time I get something more like the VB2w. I prefer the latter.

I also enjoy using my Red Witch Empress for vibrato, and by varying the depth and voice controls on it you can get a range of sounds going between the smoother sine style LFO of the VB2 and the more square wavish LFO sounds of the CE1.

(I also enjoy using my Strymon Deco for more random tape fluctuation style vibrato).

I like Vibrato...

18. el guapo

el guapo Supporting Member

Warped Vinyl ii
    Warm chewy warbly loud vibey

buzzp and hippieboy like this.
  19. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

The Bigfoot EFX Magnavibe is just about perfect. The only reason I parted with mine was because I just didn't use it enough and I had someone who would use it offer me more then I paid for it.

20. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

Put the roger mayer voodoo vibe jr in this mix as well

71strat likes this.