Best Vingtage Pickup for a strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tambokgt, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

Which one is the best vintage sounding pickup for a strat that you can buy nowadays? neck, middle, bridge.

2. zerolight

zerolight Member

I'm liking the Tyler 2 Hot Laura's that I have in my guitar. They sound nice and wiry, yet fatten up with a little midboost.

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I like the Lollar Blackfaces and the WCRs. I don't think the WCRs are still being made, but they sound amazing.

Mike

4. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

If you want vintage replica without all the extra's give J.M Rolph a call tell him the year and he will make it for you. They look the same and sound the same, many have been happy replacing a Rolph in with two original pickups in there pre CBS strats.

5. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

where can I contact J.M. Rolph? thanks in advance.

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

7. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I just bought a set of Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's (read about 'em here at TGP).

I really like them a lot, and compared to some boutique sets, a pretty good deal to boot.

Might pay to check 'em out.

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

There's a bunch of good ones IMHO.

Fralin, Don Mare, Stephens, Lollar, Rolph, WCR - all excellent choices. Wolfe, Sheptone and Bare Knuckles have had great reviews, I think Fred Stuart makes some too. Harmonic Design makes some really cool ones, so does Seymour Duncan - the Anitquities are really cool. Suhr and DiMarzio too, even Fender. (GRIN)

There are a lot of pickup choices out there, more than have been mentioned in this thread. I agree with VaughnC - run the racks first. Job number one is selecting a Strat that basically sounds the way you want it to sound and plays how you want it to play.

Once that's done, THEN select some pickups. As Vaughn wrote, you can't polish a turd. Get yourself close with the right guitar - finish with good pickups, and don't forget the pots, switches, and output jack while you're at it, and a good setup. The combination of all those factors is what will make your guitar sound amazing, not just the pickups.

Some guys, like Don Mare, you can talk to and describe what you want, and they can deliver.

Good Luck, Dana O.

9. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

My fave is Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's and I tried alot before finding them, now I am very happy. Thanks Seymour!

10. streetknight

streetknight Member

BG Pickups from Norcalguitars.com. I just got him to make me some. Great pups

11. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

...well.....I'm really looking for a replacement pickup for my 2006 American Deluxe strat ...after a year of playing it, I realized that the SCN pickups and S1 switching sytem is too modern and sterile sounding for me. I would like to get a really nice vintage sounding pickup set and even change the wiring (maybe even go vintage style setup ) and scrap the SCN and S1 switching system.

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

So many great ones out there. Impossible to say which is the best. I have Lollar Blonds in one Strat and, VanZandt Vintage Pluses mid and neck and VanZandt Blues in the bridge of another. Love 'em all. I'd like to try the Don Mares though.

Tom

13. Lemuel.Tan

Lemuel.Tan Member

Check out Curtis Novak's stuff. I think he winds some of the best Strat pickups I've ever heard. If you're looking for vintage, he sure makes darn good pickups.

14. KBR

KBR Member

I have had great results on records with Van Zandts, and I use Lollars, and Don Mare's (Now, too) Students and friends of mine have Fralins, so these 4 are absolutely Vintage sounding w/o spending major buck$ on an old axe.
    imo
    ymmv
    hear some Van zandts at myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/kennyblueray

15. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

I think I am going to get a Sheptone for my neck of my 54 CS Strat. It has the stock pups, but I can't tell the difference between the 2. Funny thing is Sheptone asked me for the specs, and when I looked up the Fender site, their pups cost more! Thank God I am not buying with my eyes. an interesting note is that they make both middle and neck at :
    DC Resistance 5.9K
    Inductance 2.4Henries

is that common? I would have thought there would be some differentiation..

16. fishlog

fishlog Member

Vintage is kind of a weird way to explain things these days as it seems all of a sudden stuff from the 70's is vintage! For me vintage means 50's and 60's Fenders Golden era pre-CBS.

I think Lollar makes the best PUPs hands down that being said I have never put the scratch down to put them in my own guitars.

So now I am using a hodge podge of Fender stuff. Starting in the bridge with a CS Fat 50 (Best bridge PUP I have ever used even better than the Lollar's) after that I use two 68 RI PUPs (not the CS 69's) that were used in the Hendrix tribute strat that was out a while back. You could buy the 68's individually for a while from Musicians Friend.

17. deltaboy

deltaboy Member

hands down j.m. rolph makes the most vintage correct pickups. many people have become accustomed to the color many major pickup makers have added to their "vintage" pickups so its of course your choice.

18. bek

bek Member

I have a couple VZ's (Blues and Rock) and an FAS in one of my axes, and they're real good. Just as good, but more vintage-sounding to my ears, are a low-output set I just got from VintageVibe.

19. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Lollar Blondes!

20. retrobob

retrobob Member

I have Rolphs in my strat. Excellent Pups!