Best vintage dog eared P90 clone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gnugear, Sep 2, 2006.

1. gnugear

gnugear Member

I've got a Tom Holmes 455 in my '59 reissue and absolutely love it. What would be the equivolent P90 replacement for a Historic Jr double cut. It's only got one pickup so I don't need to worry about matching output. Also, should it have an A2 or an A5 magnet?

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

buy a vintage one (150) or get a new one from Lollar

4. eric102673

eric102673 Member

None of the modern makers does a perfect clone. The closest would be the Lollars right now, IMO.

Vintage is the real way to go but the prices on them have escalated greatly so have some bank available and be careful. Lot of folks trying to pass off crap as real vintage gibby dogears. Also not all vintage pickups have aged the same so the tones out of them can vary widely. A little bit of a crap shoot there.

Good luck!

-e.

5. gnugear

gnugear Member

Thanks. Wolfetone is local and sounds like a really good guy, but when I asked him how it would compare to an original, he confessed that he never heard an original. That said, he builds them to original specs and people seem to love them. But that leaves me a little nervous since I've never heard an original either.

What I love about the Tom Holmes is the clarity and note to note definition. That's what I want from the P90. I've heard that the Historics are okay but could be better in that regard.

What about the Duncan Antiquity?

6. gnugear

gnugear Member

Do you know if he uses an A2 or an A5 magnet?

7. Jason Lollar

Jason Lollar Member

I remember the first time wolfe heard a P-90- he was in my shop and I had a guitar I had made with my P-90's in them- that was about 10 years ago.
    My literature says al5 and I do use al5 in them but I degauss them to a specific level which is actually below what a fully charged alnico 2 would have- at least in the neck. Old magnets are different than new magnets- degaussing a different mix is my in through the out door method of pickup designing.
    If I put that in my lit all I would get is questions!
    when I use alnico 5 the comment is usually "thats not like any alnico 5 I have heard"

"Also, should it have an A2 or an A5 magnet?"
    I would let whoever makes the pickup decide depending on what you are after and how many turns it has and the position it will be located if the guy has enough background to make a decision.

8. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

gnugear-

I've got a vintage dogear P90 that was removed years ago from a '61 LP Jr of mine (Pre SG); it's ratholed in a little box around here, cover and all. Fully functional- I just took it out and swapped in a humbucker years ago when I was younger & not as, uhh, "savvy". (grin!) Later, I gave the guitar to a close friend of mine.
    If interested, email/pm me.

No spam intended. I just don't need it and I've had it stashed for over 20 years.

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Not only do Lollars sound fantastic, but Jason's post indicates the lengths he will go through to understand and create some of the best sounding pickups out there. It's just hard to go wrong with his products.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've never heard any two vintage P90s sound alike -- there seems to be less consistancy than in vintage humbuckers -- so it's hard to say whose pickups are the "most accurate" replica.

Out of the Gibson, Lollars, Antiquities, and Fralins I've owned/played so far, my favs have been Fralins, although they definitely sound a bit more "contemporary" than my vintage sets. You'd have a hard time going wrong with "any" of these guys, IMO...

I haven't yet heard Wolfe's pickups, though I've heard good things about them...

That said, go with whichever one that floats your boat.

11. steve rowen

steve rowen Member

I've got a Heritage H137 that showed up about 3 weeks ago. It's got Jason's neck and bridge dogear P90's. This guitar is about 6.9lb, and stands neck and neck with the best vintage LP Special single cuts out there. The bridge on this guitar is right with a good vintage LP Junior, unlike most vintage specials for some reason.

12. gnugear

gnugear Member

Hey Steve!

Since I've got you here, are your wraparound tailpieces the same as your other ones. I've got one on my R9 and LOVE it!! You were next on my "upgrade" list of people to contact. Also, do you have them in stock or is there a waiting time (tailpiece and studs).