Best vintage-feeling NON-RELIC Strat

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Fusionshred, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

Here's the question - what do you think is the best way to go for a really vintage feeling and sounding Strat that will stay in tune and be reliable? I am really not into relics at all. So it has to be vintage feeling but look like a new guitar.

And I'm not discounting a Fender either. I'd like opinions on Fender Hot Rod '57, EJ, Suhrs, Grosh, etc.

Anything else you can think of ;-)
    Thanks!
    T

2. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

I have a 56 NOS CustomShop Strat that is amazing.

Shane

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

If by vintage feeling you meant a great feeling neck that feels worn in, you can get a neck in satin or oil finish with rolled edge, that feels as smooth as new born's butt.

Suhr, Grosh, Anderson and....uh hm Tyler, all offer great smooth worn in feeling necks.

4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I think the NOS Fender Custom Shop guitars have the best vintage feel. I can't fully buy into a vintage style guitar when it has an odd non-Fender headstock shape. I have a 56 Relic that really has the goods for the old feel. I have been thinking about a 60's NOS as of late too. Check Dave's Guitars for a few pics of some cool Strats.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Check out the Fender '62 Hot Rod Strats...best modern/vintage vibe Strat I've played in quite some time. The satin finish neck gives it sort of a broken-in feel without the relicing treatment and the thin nitro finish seems to let more of the wood tone to come through. Wish the fretboard radius was 7.25" instead of 9.5"...but I guess you can't have everything ;).

6. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    To me, Grosh has the vintage playing/feeling/sounding thing goin' on.

7. Fusionshred

Thanks! Honestly, I have to admit I kind of agree about that headstock thing... I mean, the only "real" strat is an actual Fender Stratocaster, isn't it? Hmmmm..... just always wondering if some of the "nicer" strats available today (the Hot Rod series, Amer. Vintage series, or one of the CS models) can hold up against the Tylers, Suhrs, Andersons, Groshs of the world...

I've played a lot of those, but haven'treally dug into a good Fender in a while!

8. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

if you're feeling patient (like 3years), Callaham is highly rated for what you've specified as criteria...

9. Izy

Izy Member

I thought i was the only one that felt this way. I played a couple of CS strats, tons of American strats, Japanese strats.....only two knock me off my socks.

BTW, a friend that owns a lentz told me for the vintage vibe and feel nothing beats Grosh or Lentz.

Never played either but thats what i heard.

:BEER

10. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

D'Pergo is right on target for this.

11. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I think a Custom Shop fender can hang with the builders you mentioned. I had a Suhr at the same time and it's was a great guitar as well but just didn't have the vintage appointments that I really liked on the Relic. Two different concepts really. A Suhr will probably play better though.

I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Strats.

Probably the best non Fender vintage Strat style guitar I have played has been the Callaham. Great guitar but just stupid wait times. I waited what seemed to be forever and when I called to check on it after 2 years or so I got yelled at. That was fun. I eventually got at after almost 3 years. It's probably longer these days.

12. MikeP

MikeP Member

Ya know if you like that you may like the thinskin 62RI at Wildwoods
    I love mine.
    It has the 7.25 radius but with 6105 frets I was really surprised how nice that combo is.

13. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I think the Fender Customer Shop Custom Classic models are great guitars - the necks are fantastic. However, if you want a true vintage feel, you'll want something with a nitro finished neck and a 7.25" radius.

14. Fusionshred

I'm interested these days in the Fender Hot Rod 62! I bend strings, so not sure if the 7.5" radius will be an impediment. That's why the HR would be good. It's 9.5" Also, I like the tone controls wired to the neck and bridge pickups, ala EJ.

Anyone have experience with these - how are the pickups?

15. aram

aram Member

16. Swampash

Swampash Member

At the risk of being slagged for agreeing.....

+1 :rotflmao

17. TIG

TIG Member

Grab yourself a Grosh with a oil finish'ed neck, ended a very long search for me anyway.

18. ford

ford Supporting Member

Grosh has it!

19. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Suhr
    Suhr
    Suhr

......and Suhr

:horse

20. SebiX

SebiX Member

Ruokangas VSOPs sound and feel vintage from the very beginning... that´s really cool, especially with the new VintAged nitro finish...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]