BEST Vintage Style/TONE Tremolo Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tinkercity, Oct 12, 2014.

1. couscousman

couscousman Member

I like the frantone vibutron.

2. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

3. Improviser

Improviser Member

I own 3 of the older (medium-size) Swamp Thang tremolos - they all sound a bit different. And despite the lack of versatility they all sound very cool, and are my preferred trem tones. Quality control of the final build on these seems to have been an issue, so I had my tech go through them thoroughly to sure things up.

Also own an early Demeter Tremulator (next choice - good BF/SF Fender tones) and Fulltone SupaTrem (decent Fender tones, PITA-sized enclosure) which see occasional use.

The Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe+ I have set for vibe use when on my board (large pedal). Haven't used the trem settings too much because the number of controls/settings required to switch between vibe/trem I find a pain to do quickly, especially playing live.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Another vote for Swamp Thang. I prefer my old big box to the newer small box, but I agree the construction on the old stuff could be... dodgy. Still the best pedal I've ever heard for Fender power-tube bias (brownface, in some models, and even blackface in the PR/PRRI). It has a very slight volume bump. It is welcome, considering the tremolo effect itself (of lowering volume from unity).

2nd place? Malekko Trem. Regret selling mine, and if my ST ever **** the bed, I'd get a Malekko.

I've owned:
    Supatrem
    Swamp Thang (old)
    Swamp Thang (new)
    Mello Yellow - very good
    Diaz Tremodillo - 2, actually- (alot of people love this one, but I didn't get on with it)
    Demeter Tremulator
    Malekko Trem
    Mojohand Sugar Baby - very very very good; ties for 2nd place
    Tone Freak Mello Tremo
    Guyatone FLIP -2, actually... the old Japanese one was great, the new Chinese one sounds different)
    EHX Wiggler- noisy. Sent it in for repair, they told me "it's no noisier than any other Wiggler coming off the line"... sigh... EHX and their noise/QC issues....
    ...I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...

All that being said, if the Fender tube bias trem is what I was after, I couldn't sleep until I tried a Bard.

5. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Some really nice replies. Thanks for the deep experiences here.

Interested in the old Swamp Thangs and the Malekko... both run off standard 9v tap?

Did some of the old Swamp Thangs have a fast/slow switch?

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Suhr Jack Rabbit for me. Of the many fine sounding trems I've owned and plays, this one sounds the best.
    MD

7. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

The Swamp Thang will take a regular 9V tap. Mine runs off a PP2+. Monster Effects used to make a large box and a medium box and both of those had slow and fast switches. The newer small box has just the fast side although it goes slow enough for my tastes in a trem. I think the older ones did have some issues as I remember people saying the boards would get a little loose sometimes and that could obviously lead to problems. The small box seems well constructed and John uses some really nice quality components.

8. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I love my ST and doubt I'll ever part with it. It sounds GOOD!

I'll also echo the TR-2 sentiments; especially modded with the volume control, but it sounds fine stock too.

9. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

10. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I love the TR-2! I'm saving for the Analogman mod.

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Yes, std. 9V tap, but the ST sounds even better at 12V. (the builder gave me that tip)

Yes, fast/slow switch. Honestly, I don't really use it much, I just keep it on one speed setting and adjust the speed using the speed knob, because when you hit the slow/fast switch, you also have to reach down and adjust the depth because it will be either too deep or too shallow on the other speed setting. It's a "nature of the beast" kind of thing.

I really only keep the old version because it DOES go slower than any other pedal or amp trem I've ever heard, and sometimes that can be used as an "always on" kind of texturizer kind of thing....

12. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Bumping for some more traction...

13. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

yeppir