Best vocal reverb under $500

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Brusco, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Brusco

Brusco Member

I'm looking for a rack mount reverb that'll allow me to have minimal reverb if needed.. Quality of sound and control without affecting my original dry signal would be the best. I prefer the dryer reverb sounds used in the early 70's. Can it be done under $500? Finding something vintage would also be an option if I knew what to look for. THanks for any suggestions.

2. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

3. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

If you're patient, you may be able to find a Lexicon PCM70 on Ebay for your target price. Great rooms, halls and plates, as well as some outstanding chorus effects. It will work best in a parallel loop so you're not processing your entire signal, as is the case with any reverb/delay effect. Tom

4. SturmerChilton

SturmerChilton Member

I'll go with flavums picks as well on the lexis. I'm not sure how much the old 41 and 42 go for these days but I imagine well over $500. Ever since Jeff Buckley came on the scene, a lot of folks are after the alesis quad so it's something to check out but not one of my favorites. For an old standby that's not much money used, be sure to look at one of the old Yamaha SPX 90s. Every studio should be equipped with one of those anyways. :)

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

There are also reverb plugs that sound as good as some of the old high-end boxes, IMO. My two favorites are Altiverb and RealVerb. I love Lexi and Eventide boxes, too.

6. Chris N

Chris N Guest

7. Brusco

Brusco Member

Thanks for the responses. The TC M-OneXL seems cool. I'd like to put next to no reverb on a track If possible. I've had reverbs that I couldn't use minimal amounts of effect which makes them unusable.
    I will be computerized one of these days so those plug-ins may not be ruled out either.
    Does vintage always sound better? As much as I like the old stuff why can't they make new ones that sound just as good?..

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> Does vintage always sound better?

Not at all.

>> As much as I like the old stuff why can't they make new ones that sound just as good?

People just get used to certain sounds from certain boxes and don't like re-learning menus and controls that change every time a new box is released. If I know that I like "Warm Chor/Verb B" in a particular unit there's no telling what they'll call it in next year's model, or even if it will sound the same. And with 500 factory presets and 25 different menu screens accesible by holding this button while you step through that one, the heck with it. If they ain't broke I don't replace them.

Nobody mentioned Kurzweil, but they have a couple of new 1-space units that people are saying very nice things about. I have not heard them yet. TC makes nice stuff, too.

9. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Interesting about the new and old debate about 20 years ago we had Steve Lipson in to do Frankie Goes to Hollywood for the tv show The Tube.

We had Quantec room simulators, AMSRMX16, Yamaha Rev 7's and SPX90's available but he spied our old EMT plate controls in the Calrec desk. He then beamed as we said that they were the old mono tube plates from the 50's.

We hooked up a revox with a 7.5ips pre-delay and that was his main vocal reverb for Holly Johnson and it sounded fantastic.

I must admit that I prefer the reverbs that I know and we still rely on the PCM 70 at work.

And as for guitars I still use a trusty stereo great british spring.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yeah, well... hard to argue with that! But I think he was asking about "vintage" digital verbs.

Amazing that one can use the words "vintage" and "digital" next to each other without causing an explosion. I'm getting f*cking old.

11. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

I suppose vintage digital will be 8-16 bit and modern will be 24 bit.

I also think that more care was taken with the alogorythms in the old days and that is why the older ones have a fuller sound.

12. Brusco

Brusco Member

I don't even know what a plate reverb looks like. I imagine them being too big for the average home project studio. I guess that's what they used to make all those fine recordings at Abbey Road.

13. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Yes Plate reverbs are rather large anything up to 8 by 6 feet and the reverb time was adjusted by moving the pick-up head down the plate.

EMT were the most common ones you can get small plates made by AKG and EMT but it was the big old mono ones that you hear on most classic recordings from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

You could make your own though!
    http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/plate/plate.shtml

14. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

15. Brusco

Brusco Member

cool stuff. Building a plate reverb would most likely be over my budget price. Digital may just be the way to go.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Ah, those grand old days of 16-bit reverbs, rip-cord lawnmowers and bottled ice cream. Sipping seven-and-sevens with Dolly Mae Lipschitz down by the foam pond...

I'm gonna cry... :(

17. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

I hate to sound like some one who will not step into the present
    day and try to use modern effects. But this is what I am going
    to sound like. I have two Yamahas that I have had for
    years. The first is an SPX 90 and the second is an SPX
    90II. I love them they sounds so big and have such warm
    tone to them. I could go on and on about these units.
    When I find them I try to buy them. They have been
    turning up now and again for $350 to $400. IMHO worth
    every penny.

18. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

(spam warning)

About to sell my old SPX 90. Drop me a line if you're interested.

19. OOG

OOG Member

+1 on the PCM 70

20. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

My favorite vocal processing for less than $500 would hafta be tape slap. An echoplex'll get you there, and will crunch better.