Best Volume Pedal?

JRBain

Please don't... :D

But I vote for the Ernie Ball.

For all of the problems that some have with it, it has fantastic underfoot feel and a great taper. I would only use something else if mine became a pain on account of aforementioned problems, and it would be a sacrifice if I did.

Liquid_Metal

I use two Boss FV500L's as expression pedals and there are quite all right, but the range is not so good. There's quite a large range of motion where actually nothing is happening (both very high and very low).

lankybass

i have a vintage Schaller Fusschweller F121 VP... it's neat.. wah-style volume pedal I bought used for $30. If I wanted to afford a new one though, then I'd get the Ernie Ball VP Jr. Solid build, affordable, just does what it needs to do (I've played several). Not sure why anyone would throw $200+ when this thing is right here for less than $90 but to each their own I guess

Last edited:

friend33

Silver Supporting Member
The best I've tried is shin's music VP made in Japan..

Jamster - I notice you're in Japan. About how much (in US dollars) do those run? I found a site, might contact them to see if they'll ship, but didn't see price info. Less than a Hilton, do you think?

The Telonics looks like the ultimate, but many of those awesome features would be wasted on me. I do like the options for two amps and stereo, but I'm most often just playing through a combo, so simplicity, good sound, smooth taper would be foremost for me.

Maybe that's the Shin's? It looks like some are housed in EB volume pedal casings? What can you tell us? Elaborate for the good of mankind!!:rockin

Last edited:

Heath

I've used EBs for the last few years. However, the potentiometer was recently scratched so I had to replace it. That was a PAIN. And its happened several times since.

Soooo, I began looking for a non-string and pot VP. The Morely Volume Plus caught my eye and I bought it as a replacement for the EB. It is quite transparent and non tone sucking however... the taper is flatout BAD. It goes from 0% to 100% nearly instantly. I had to retrain myself to use it for volume swells.

Recently a very good freind of mine bought the Dunlop and I've had a chance to try it out. It's completely transparent, has great taper, is not a string and pot, and won't set you back half a grand. The only downside is its size (a little bigger than a standard EB). I'll be buying one of them within the next few weeks when I get some extra cash.

paulikus

I love the Dunlop DVP1! yes, it's big, but i love the sweep (adjustable) and feel of it. it's got a Tuner out too if you want to use that. passive, so there's no power needed. Much better than the Morely or Boss I have owned. it is made in China - hence the cheap price, so I do hope it holds up - the mechanism/band, but the pedal itself is solid as a rock. Doesn't seem chinsy like the Ernie Ball Junior volume pedals - though I've never played the EB.

Jamster

Supporting Member
It cost me 21000 yen directly from the shop, so around $260 in today's exchange rate?

He is famous guitar tech in Japan. He started modifying volume pedal, request from pros. That became EB mod.

But his original case plays better IMO. About same size as EB jr.

Yes it's very simple, but if you want stereo, they can make you stereo.

He is busy, but very nice guy. Tell him what you want, and he will answer any question or request. :)

Jamster - I notice you're in Japan. About how much (in US dollars) do those run? I found a site, might contact them to see if they'll ship, but didn't see price info. Less than a Hilton, do you think?

The Telonics looks like the ultimate, but many of those awesome features would be wasted on me. I do like the options for two amps and stereo, but I'm most often just playing through a combo, so simplicity, good sound, smooth taper would be foremost for me.

Maybe that's the Shin's? It looks like some are housed in EB volume pedal casings? What can you tell us? Elaborate for the good of mankind!!:rockin

Holy Schnikes

I use two Boss FV500L's as expression pedals and there are quite all right, but the range is not so good. There's quite a large range of motion where actually nothing is happening (both very high and very low).
Yeah, I've noticed this too. You're the first person I've seen mention it though. It's a shame because it's a solid pedal with expression out to boot, but that sweep pisses me off.

Trending Topics