Best Volume Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blke, Nov 6, 2011.

1. blke

blke Member

Title Explains It All

2. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

3. Less=more

Less=more Member

4. Less=more

Less=more Member

hmm I think I should look into the Telonics more. that thing looks exceptional.

5. MG90

MG90 Member

Holey crap! It's $550! + $30 for a bag!

6. teleclem

teleclem Member

The Telonics does seem to be the best.

I like my Goodrich though

7. JRBain

JRBain Member

Please don't... :D

But I vote for the Ernie Ball.

For all of the problems that some have with it, it has fantastic underfoot feel and a great taper. I would only use something else if mine became a pain on account of aforementioned problems, and it would be a sacrifice if I did.

8. Jamster

Jamster Supporting Member

The best I've tried is shin's music VP made in Japan..

[​IMG]

9. Liquid_Metal

Liquid_Metal Member

I use two Boss FV500L's as expression pedals and there are quite all right, but the range is not so good. There's quite a large range of motion where actually nothing is happening (both very high and very low).

10. lankybass

lankybass Member

i have a vintage Schaller Fusschweller F121 VP... it's neat.. wah-style volume pedal I bought used for $30. If I wanted to afford a new one though, then I'd get the Ernie Ball VP Jr. Solid build, affordable, just does what it needs to do (I've played several). Not sure why anyone would throw $200+ when this thing is right here for less than $90 but to each their own I guess

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  11. blke

blke Member

12. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Jamster - I notice you're in Japan. About how much (in US dollars) do those run? I found a site, might contact them to see if they'll ship, but didn't see price info. Less than a Hilton, do you think?

The Telonics looks like the ultimate, but many of those awesome features would be wasted on me. I do like the options for two amps and stereo, but I'm most often just playing through a combo, so simplicity, good sound, smooth taper would be foremost for me.

Maybe that's the Shin's? It looks like some are housed in EB volume pedal casings? What can you tell us? Elaborate for the good of mankind!!:rockin

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  13. Aran

Aran Member

14. capt4inslow

capt4inslow Member

No opinions that newish Dunlop pedal?

15. Heath

Heath Member

I've used EBs for the last few years. However, the potentiometer was recently scratched so I had to replace it. That was a PAIN. And its happened several times since.

Soooo, I began looking for a non-string and pot VP. The Morely Volume Plus caught my eye and I bought it as a replacement for the EB. It is quite transparent and non tone sucking however... the taper is flatout BAD. It goes from 0% to 100% nearly instantly. I had to retrain myself to use it for volume swells.

Recently a very good freind of mine bought the Dunlop and I've had a chance to try it out. It's completely transparent, has great taper, is not a string and pot, and won't set you back half a grand. The only downside is its size (a little bigger than a standard EB). I'll be buying one of them within the next few weeks when I get some extra cash.

16. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Since I was about to start the same thread I'll mark this for later!

17. paulikus

paulikus Member

I love the Dunlop DVP1! yes, it's big, but i love the sweep (adjustable) and feel of it. it's got a Tuner out too if you want to use that. passive, so there's no power needed. Much better than the Morely or Boss I have owned. it is made in China - hence the cheap price, so I do hope it holds up - the mechanism/band, but the pedal itself is solid as a rock. Doesn't seem chinsy like the Ernie Ball Junior volume pedals - though I've never played the EB.

18. Jamster

Jamster Supporting Member

It cost me 21000 yen directly from the shop, so around $260 in today's exchange rate?

He is famous guitar tech in Japan. He started modifying volume pedal, request from pros. That became EB mod.

But his original case plays better IMO. About same size as EB jr.

Yes it's very simple, but if you want stereo, they can make you stereo.

He is busy, but very nice guy. Tell him what you want, and he will answer any question or request. :)

19. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

Yeah, I've noticed this too. You're the first person I've seen mention it though. It's a shame because it's a solid pedal with expression out to boot, but that sweep pisses me off.

20. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

What was your take, good or bad, on the Telonics when you tried it?