Best Volume Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blke, Nov 6, 2011.

1. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

2. sabby

sabby Member

I think the THRU-TONE mod of the EB volume pedal is as close to perfect as I'll ever need. It has a great buffer, an improved sealed pot that smooths-out the throw, and the buffer is by-passable if needed.

3. rschultz13

rschultz13 Member

I love my Ernie Ball 6165 Stereo Volume/Pan pedal, as I run a guitar with 2 sets of pickups (mag/piezo). So I can use it as volume for both, or with the toe tap I can switch it to pan mode to pan between the two or blend. Very versatile.

4. Moat

Moat Member

Heath - I believe there are directions on Morley's website that describe some rather simple adjustments to the photocell components, affecting sweep taper and range. I've read a few folks tried it, and really liked the results... might be worth a try before you give up on it.

Found it -

http://www.morleypedals.com/ttvolumeadjust.pdf

5. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Hilton

6. javahut

javahut Member

The Telonics may be more expensive, but it's not overpriced. Sure, it'd be great if it was less expensive, but not at the cost of making it any less than it is (in function and quality). Best volume pedal on the planet at the moment, bar none.

7. Less=more

Less=more Member

I'd like to hear more about the mission volume pedals... anyone have experience? can you compare?

8. JRBain

JRBain Member

Does it feel as nice underfoot as an EB, out of interest?

9. 10strings

10strings Member

That's good to hear, I have one coming in the mail. I am particular about my high end since I play violin and mando... So I am hoping this will resolve any issues and sound great!

10. alberob

alberob Member

Check out the pedal Vacuum Voodoo is building right now. Its light years ahead of most volume pedals.Its called the Boozter DeBoozter Pedal.Aleksanders designs are unique.:hiP

11. Thames

Thames Member

the Visual Volume 10th is a great one. their buffer is very nice and the LEDs are so practical!

12. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Do you have a link for this? Nothing came up through a web search. :huh

13. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

14. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I really like my DVP-1 Dunlop volume pedal. I got not one, but 2 defective EB pedals brand new in a row and it kind of turned me off to their QC (one a scratchy pot, the other a broken string in the box), plus I found their customer service department to be less than sub-par in their customer care.

My DVP-1 is sturdy as heck, the big drawback is it heavy and has a big footprint, but if heavy = sturdy (in this case), then I'm ok with it. It's on my board now, but it will likely be on the floor next to my board once my timeline gets here.

If I was going to try another pedal, it would be a Mission Volume pedal.

15. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Exactly my experience also. I loved the EB but had to do alot of pot maintenence and pedal rebuilds. I couldn't rely on it. I finally switched to Morley and am content because it's built to last...but there has to be something better...the sweep is "oddball" to me too. It does the job though...
    BArnzy

16. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

This may be a question with a fairly elementary answer, but what makes one volume pedal better than another? Examples? I have an EB VP that I've been using since 1997 but it's got some serious crackling issues now causing me some problems w/ swells. Need to get a new one, stat. How should I shop?

17. 10strings

10strings Member

Go Telonics and put it in the will to the kids. :) Considering how many volume pedals you will replace and/or fix and time lost it's well worth the price.

18. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

I'm content to just get another EB because of how good this last one has been for me up until recently. That said, I'm not gonna get a $500 volume pedal. Just wondering what other considerations I should be making.

19. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I got my first Goodrich volume pedal in 1975. I retired it two years ago.
    I also have the Goodrich buffered volume pedal and a friend of mine just gave me a brand new model 120 Goodrich.
    I have never had a problem with them and they really take abuse.
    I like the feel of it and the throw. It does exactly what it is intended to do without breakdowns, parts coming loose, etc.

I'm sure there are better pedals such as the Hilton, and several others mentioned above. However, when it ain't broke... and the Goodrich never is broken.

20. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder Member

The Mission sounds interesting. Has anyone tried one?