Best Volume Pedals $150 or less list, best to worst...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deville2Rocket, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

OK guys n gals. Let's have it.

Please list, in order of preference, your picks for the best volume pedals under $150. Next to each one, please offer a little blurb about why it made the list.

Examples:
    Boutique Volume, $149.99 - Solid contruction, no coloration, linear sweep...
    Buttman Volume, $8 - Sounds like ass.

Thank you!

2. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Best (for me)... Ernie Ball 6166 mono vol pedal; never a problem, run it in my loop, if it sucks tone I cant hear it...$99.00
    Worst for me... Boss FV50H (cheap construction and constantly cut out on gigs) around $50.00 or so.

3. retro

retro Member

Best for me: Ernie Ball Jr. $99.00, use with tuner...great sweep for swells, always works, no suck.

There is no worst for me but I didn't care for either the Goodrich 120 or L120. Around $160.00

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

Goodrich 120 - $140
    Goodrich 120L - $140

Both great, both much better than the Ernie Ball stuff- I used different Ernie Balls for years, and I just like the feel of the Goodrich better, and I think the higher impedance and better quality pot sucks less tone

5. retro

retro Member

"interesting - I've been scared out of buying an EB jr by all the folks here swamping me with horror stories."

2 years and still going for me...with the Jr.

Not sure what could go wrong. Easily serviced. Well built, extruded aluminum cradle, kevlar cord, quick connect wires, etc.

I wanted to like the Goodrich since everyone said they were better. But I did not care for the travel on the Goodrich. And I couldn't hear a difference when A/B'ing them. And of course the Jr's size is nice.

6. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I agree with the goodrich! I have one and it's really solid.

7. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Thanks guys! Keep the comments coming please.

Funny, I work for Goodrich Aerospace. I'd be labeled a total company man if I bought the Goodrich. LOL :banana

8. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

+1 for the Goodrich. I've set them up on a couple of boards and they really sound great.

9. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

I've got a couple of old Sho-Bud pedals, like Larry Carlton used to use. They're COOL!

10. Willemdaguide

Willemdaguide Member

I use a new Boss FV-500L, very heavy duty pedal and works well as an expresion pedal too!

11. benjammin

benjammin Member

Not to hijack, but can you use an Ernie Ball Jr as an expression pedal? I've always really liked the look of the VP Jr and wish I could replace the cheap looking expression pedals with it.

12. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

All I can add is that if you're putting the volume pedal first in the chain, you will need the high impedance models. I had the EB VP Jr. and it really did suck tone, high-end and sparkle. Very noticably. Be warned!

I recently sold the EB and have a BOSS FV-500H to try. If I don't like it, it's going back to MF and I'll get the Goodrich. The George Denis optical one is also supposedly pretty good. And then there's the top dog ($$ wise), the Hilton.

13. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

Ernie Ball Jr. - except in 16 years of using EB Sr.'s & Jr.'s I've broker 2 or 3 of the internal cords. kinda sucks when your on stage, and they ain't so cheap to replace, but they feel and sound great, plus they have the tuner out which is sweet. the Goodrich's are great too, had one many years ago, but bulky, no tuner out & quite pricey?!

14. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I thought the best place for volume pedal was last in the chain, but before delay and reverb...that way your not cutting the signal going to your od pedals, and delay and reverb is allowed to ring out when volume is cut??

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I like the George Dennis optical volume pedal. Fairly small, with an optical volume control - no POT! $130 at MF

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...AID=260 18851

From the website:

The GD020's electro-optical design means no scratchy pots that can wear out over time. Instead what you get is silky smooth crystal clear volume adjustment.

The GD20 also allows the player to switch the unit from low to high impedance, making the unit suitable for use with any musical instrument.

Because the pedal is actively controlled it can be used in-line with mixers, tape recorders, effects loops etc.

16. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I agree that putting the volume pedal first in the chain is nearly useless...that's right after the guitar's volume control. You definitely want it after the overdrives and distortions so you can hit them hard, and then turn down the volume after them. Right before the delay is where I usually have mine.

I do have the 25 ohm Earnie Ball Jr, and alway put after most of my pedals, but I have wondered if I should use the higher impedance model instead. Another alternative is to put it and the delay in the amp's effects loop.

John

17. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Volume pedal first: Isn't it kind of a cool effect, though? Changing the gain of your OD with a pedal? Kinda like the opening to Interstate Love Song by STP.

18. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

well I will raise your volume pedal first with a second volume pedal last...

two volume pedals..dreamy ;)

19. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+1 Boss FV-500 Volume Pedal

20. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

+1 on the EB JR or Reg.

Havent heard or seen this elusive "tone suck" that it creates at both ends of my signal chain its the same...