Best wah for high gain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeSelmer, Oct 22, 2005.

1. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Hi all. I'm thinking of plunging for the first into the world of wah. I play high gain rock, and I'm looking for some chunky and ballsy spice on those raw, meaty leads. Which wah would you suggest? Preferrably not very experensive ideas, please.

MIKE

2. somedude

somedude Member

Not expensive....

.....I use a Dunlop Wylde wah. Not pricy and sounds great for high gain lead. The narrow sweep is great for people like myself who like to find a spot and park it.

The narrow sweep kinds limits its usefullness as a clean wah, as I always find myself wishing it had a bit more range when used that way, but for high gain work it's by far my favorite.

3. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

screamingdaisy,

I always thought having a lot of gain actually diminishes the effect of a wah, am I wrong? If the Wyde wah has narrow sweep, what is there left after the high gain from the amp plus occasional pre-amp overdrives/distortions?

MIKKO

4. somedude

somedude Member

It works fine cutting through the gain on my Rectifier, but it won't cut through my Big Muff.

I'll make a quick clip tomorrow so you can hear it and decide if you like it.....but I always recommend trying before you buy anyway.

5. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Those clips would be great, man thanks! I'll be waiting...

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Check out the Crybaby Classic I think its a great sounding wah for any type of music and its less than $100!

7. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Based on my scientific studies (web search), the Classic Crybaby is waaayyy trebly and tinny-sounding. Anybody here agree/disagree. The price is right, though.

8. jlagrassa

Maybe your thinking of another crybaby ...there are so many! This is the one that was released maybe 2 years ago it has the fasal Inductor and also has a hardwire bypass! this is no where near trebly like the Vox V848 or Budda wah. My last couple of wah pedals were Teese and Fulltone but the Crybaby Classic to my ears is just as tonefull!............. You should check one out if you can.

Here is a clip of the Crybaby Classic from the Dunlop site just to give you an idea!
    Crybaby Classic clip

9. somedude

somedude Member

The Crybaby's with fasel are much better sounding than the non-fasel stuff.

10. Josh O

Josh O Member

Teese Wizard wah, end of story.

11. jlagrassa

I was going to mention that one but he is looking for cheaper alternatives but then $175 isnt out of reach!

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I use a Morley Bad Horsie II, either thru my Tech 21 trademark 60 or a rectifier, sounds VERY good for high gain.

13. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Thanks for the replies. The Crybaby Classic seems like a good all-around choice. I think that's what I'll get. But before I do, other alternative ideas are welcome!

14. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

One more alternative is the dimebag wah

I've owned the crybaby classic and the dimebag... plus a bunch of the higher end teese and fulltone stuff

I always liked the dimebag because it could cut through serious high gain... but is still tuneable and tweakable enough to sound good with other styles of playing... it has a lead boost if you want to kick in the overdrive... or you can have a subtle wah sound for cleaner guitar parts. It also takes drop tunings very well

I see them go on ebay for about 80-90 bucks.. it's a good deal

But my all time favorite for high gain is the zvex wah probe... it's pretty damn expensive...but worth the scratch if you've got it

15. thunderbolt

thunderbolt Supporting Member

I second that. After trying Crybaby classic, Crybaby 535q, Fulltone Clyde(great for clean), and even an old RMC3(versatile but just don't cut through the slo gain channel), I settled down on the Z Vex Wah Probe. This is a strong statement, I think.

16. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

I really want to recommend a Fulltone Clyde or a Teese but honestly, for high gain, you probably want a Morley Bad Horsie.

17. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Cool man how do you power it?

I've found it sounds best with the voodoo lab pedal power 2... you can adjust the sag feature and it alters the brightness of the zvex... I turn the sag knob down about 50% and the wah probe absolute SLAYS my high gain... then I can turn the sho circuit down for clean passages. Slightly used batteries sound great

Plus its so cool to just subtlely sway your foot above the copper plate instead of "wakka wakka wakka" all over the place.. Very tasteful and sounds unique... not like a white guy trying to be black :D

18. v-verb

v-verb Member

Budda wah all the way!!!

19. thunderbolt

thunderbolt Supporting Member

Not being a pedal maniac, I just use rechargeable 9v batteries to power the wah probe. Maybe I should give pedalpower a try. The "sag" sounds alluring....

20. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a Clyde Deluxe, but I've never been able to get a wah to sound right for high gain use when it's before the preamp (or lead pedal). I know everyone says that's where it's 'designed' to be, but for high gain, I FAR prefer putting the wah in the loop of an amp, after the preamp section, or for an amp without a loop or lead channel, after the lead pedal. It's much smoother there. Of course, ymmv.........

jon