Best Wah for Rock?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brockburst, Feb 20, 2009.

1. brockburst

brockburst Member

Have a fulltone clyde standard. Its great. Love the sound and true bypass, have given thought to a Teese Picture Wah. Any thoughts on which is better, or if there is something else worthy of my cash?

2. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Look into Morley Wahs. They are great, built like tanks, last forever. SWITCHLESS!

I use the Dragon Wah and the Bad Horsie 2 for both rock and metal.

3. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

The Budda has been great for every situation where I've ever wanted a wah.

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

How much gain do you use? One man's version of rock is another man's metal.

I use a Dunlop Crybaby Classic Fasel Wah. Works great for clean and low gain stuff. Gets a bit funky with high gain or heavy fuzz.

Its the same wah that Clapton uses live.

dk

5. LeeSympathetic

LeeSympathetic Member

I'd say,
    the Fulltone CDW is perfect for you man,
    especially if you already like how it sounds like

6. brockburst

brockburst Member

Gotta go true bypass with my rig. I think I may be settling into the Clyde standard as a good fit, who knows. SOmething about that teese, heard great things about the deluxe.

7. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I use the Ibanez Weeping Demon... not necc. the best sounding wah, but it has several adjustable parameters which let you dial in your own sound... I like that... plus it can be set as switchless (i.e. just put your foot on it) or switchable... in switch on mode it's cool because the switch is to the side of the sweep pedal, that way you can set a position you like for the sweep and turn it on to that particular tone.

I think it's a great pedal for live use; it has good tone, it's versatile while being simple to use, and it's built like a tank.

8. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Morleys have an incredible buffer, perfect for the beginning of the chain. I notice absolutely no tone coloration and they dish out a very strong signal. Really like what they do for me chain of effects.

Dunlops have terrible bypass, I have the Classic and a Dime Wah (DB02)and they both suck tone, they seem to flatten the signal. Both will be sold.

Have not tried the Fulltone but they do have a great reputaion with the Clyde Wah. It looks awesome also.

The fact that Morleys are switchless and potless plus sound incredible has me very satisfied.

9. pmtrub

pmtrub Member

The deluxe clyde is pretty good, after a few days use, I'm getting the most use out of the "jimi" mode which is the clyde standard anyways. "shaft" is quite trebley, and "whacked", I just haven't spent much time with, as it didn't grab me right away.

But between the input control and the internal bass/gain dial, there's a lot of versatility there to dial the pedal in to your rig.

10. davidf556

davidf556 Member

you could always try Robert Keeley.

11. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I had the Teese Pic Wah and sold it to get the Fulltone Clyde. For me, it's better...

12. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I've owned the wizard (red and grey case) picture and the rmc3 (2 of them):worried;

The clyde deluxe was better for my needs.

My favorite is the dunlop 2sr wah.

I am getting a chicago Iron rack unit to have all the wah tones covered:dude

The wah is the only effect I really enjoy:dude :dude :dude :dude

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  13. joemesser

joemesser Member

The Wizard is my favorite. Not vintage sounding if that helps.

14. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I'd venture to say the Wilson Ten Spot II, its a replica of the Ibanez WH-10. I'll probably be picking one up sometime soon.

15. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

The Dunlop Crybaby Classic wah sucks no tone for me. It still passes signal without a battery, or power connected, so I'm pretty sure its true bypass.

dk

16. guitarzanman

guitarzanman Member

I too am interested in getting a top of the line wah. I have a Morley vol/wah and I hate it. When I switch the wah on it gets crazy noisey:jo

17. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Word. My BH2 is king of the heap as far as I'm concerned. Like it a lot more than my RMC3 which I bought after thinking I needed to try out more 'high end, true bypass' wahs. Absolutely silent too, esp. compared to other wahs.

If the OP wants something more modern sounding, and doesn't want to try a Bad Horsie 2 (I had Tremonti as well that was too piercing), then you can pay double for an Automagic Silver Machine wah that IS true bypass and sounds just like the Bad Horsie 2. Juts be sure you keep that fishing line / fader assembly clean - it got scratchy pretty quickly for me (about 2 weeks between necessary cleanings).

-Ben

19. vinni

vinni Member

Same story here....

Vinni

20. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Passing sinal with no power does not mean it is true bypass. The classic though has the best bypass out of the dunlops I have tried, but I do hear some issues with the low end of my signal with the classic that I dont hear with my Morley Wahs. I do like the sound of the classic and I like the fact that its smaller than the Morleys but I do hear that slight decrease in the low end. Its as if the signal sounds fuller with the morley than with the classic. Maybe the buffer in the Morley is doing a great job and its affecting the signal for the better.

I had a hard time findig anything better than the bad horsie 2 or the dragon wah. I still wanna give the Fulltone a try, but Im just as happy not doing so.