Best wah? looking to get a new one

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by giggedy, Jun 4, 2006.

1. giggedy

giggedy Member

I'm running a strat > analogman ts-9/silver > analogman mini bi-comp > digitech rp-20 > boss dd-20 > fender drri. I am slowly phasing out the rp-20 and the next step after the dd-20 is a new wah. any suggestions? I was thinking about the rmc3, but it is really expensive. any help would be great.

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

3. rewog

rewog Member

4. entraind

entraind Member

Budda bud wah is great wah, works for classic stuff as well as high gain...

5. giggedy

giggedy Member

any other suggestions?

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Depends what you Wha-nt it for :)

Personally, I only wanted a wah that gave me that Hendrix/trower rich wah sound. I had also bought a Weeping Demon, and liked it a lot, but it had so many parameters, and I likes my wahs simple....

So, for me, I bought a Picture Wah (less expensive than the RMC3), and I LOVED it from the minute I started playing it. It is a real class wah, vintage sound, feels good, and it just does exactly what I want.
    It's also True Bypass if that is important to you.

I highly recommend it, but...that said, even with it's buffer circuit (non-TB) while I was waiting for the Picture wah to be delivered, I had bought a GCB-95 Crybaby wah. At first I thought it was too harsh, but after reading that you can adjust the sprocket (4 screws on the bottom plate, 1 screw for the piece of nylon holding the gear "shaft" to the sprockets on the pot) two "clicks" either way safely without damaging anything. It took me less than five minutes (literally!) to make the adjustment so that toe-down position is two clicks less trebly, and...I like it every bit as much as the Picture wah. I love both of the wahs, but the Crybaby was less expensive...and works great.

I don't hear a difference with the TB as opposed to the buffer in the crybaby. Both sound excellent, the Picture is a little better than the crybby, but for some things, I take the Crybaby with me, other things I take the Picture.

I can recommend both wahs, but you have to do the "mod" (completley reversible also, in about two-minutes) to get it to be its' best.

The Weeping Demon, had some really cool features, like a seperate footswitch for on/off (so you could turn the wah on at a certain tone setting) OR autosensing turnon when you starting moving the treadle...wave shaping, ! shaping...I could have kept it for studio stuff, but I gave it to the guitarist in my sons band, and they play hard metal-like stuff and he loves it...so it is being used anyway.

Me, I like simple wahs.

7. Sid

Sid Member

Automagic Silver Machine...I have had my eyes on this baby for ages:JAM

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I've owned the Vox, Fulltone,Dunlop JH-1, 95, 535Q, Silvermachine, RMC1, RMC3 and i've had the Wizard for a while now. For what it's worth i think you can't go too far wrong with a Wizard. Not brilliant for clean/funk but for gain...awesome. Mike Landau's choice at the moment so i've heard...that and the RMC1 for single coils.
    Hope that confused ya :)

9. voodoo364

voodoo364 Supporting Member

I have had a ton of wahs...Fulltone,Teese etc. I think the AREA 51 is great

10. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

i have heard that the fulltone is good and you can select different "styles" of playing which sounds neat. but i havent tried it.

Aj

11. giggedy

giggedy Member

i like it for overdriven leads, but also for the clean funk thing. true bypass is def. a big big plus

12. postalblowfish

postalblowfish Member

+1 on the Bud-wah: it's all that above plus built like a tank. I got mine for $120 shipped off the 'bay...

13. Matt F

Matt F Member

+1 on the RMC 1. Great with my strat.. Lotsa fun in that box. Picked up for $150 on the bay.. $$ well spent.

Brother just got a Budda. He likes it alot.. but I have not tried it yet. However, I value his opinion..

14. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Yet another + on the Budda. I like mine a lot. Very nice, very affordable.

15. giggedy

giggedy Member

anyone have any clips of the buddha? clean and overdriven would be especially nice

16. PaulinNC

PaulinNC Member

I just got a GCB-95 from a friend. It was really old and dirty so I cleaned it up and broke 2 of the wires connected to the pot. I am going to resolder them this weekend. Later in the summer I plan on getting an Area 51 up grade kit. This will be my first mod project. But I was impressed with how much I improved the wah until I snapped the wires.

17. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Area 51 on order. Been through Dunlop Orig. Crybaby, Dunlop 535Q, Teese RMC3. I'm hoping it will all end with Area 51. Seems very promising.

18. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

You really can't go wrong with any of the Jen Cry Baby Fasel wahs. Nice vintage tones and can be found for less money than most new ones. Your rig doesn't sound like you have too much gain to justify the Wizard but would be good none the less. Dunlop 535Q is not a bad all around pedal either. Go to the store and A/B as many as you can, You'll narrow it down.....Personally I like the Teese PW.

19. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i was going to try the RM mods for my Vox V847, but it broke so im getting a Supa Quack and be done with it.

20. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Heard very good things about Supa Quack (Pro Analog?). Is he still making them?