Best Wah Opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by majorledhead, Mar 7, 2006.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Looking For Help Making A Wah Purchase. What To You Think Is The Best And Why. My Setup Is As Follows:

Nash Strat Replica
    Eternity
    Keeley Compressor
    Power Screamer
    Captain Coconut
    Carr Slant6v 1x12 Combo
    Tone Tubby 2 X 10 Extention Cabinet

I Hope That After A Good Wah I'll Be Done For A While With My Tone Quest. Thanks For The Help

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

I just had this discussion on another forum. I was mostly getting "Budda, RMC3, SilverMachine" as responses. It seems to me that if you're going for classic tones, and don't want to DIY, the best things on the market are the Teese Picture wah and the Teese RMC3. If you're doing high gain stuff, it seems like the Budda and SilverMachine are better options.

Here's the rundown:

Inexpensive:
    Vox 847
    Crybaby
    Morley
    HIWATT
    ---> all but the HIWATT need to be modded for bypass... the Morley is the least obnoxious, but the others definitely need an adjustment, to my ears. There have been some reliability concerns on the HIWATT if you read HC reviews, but I know a few great players who swear by them.

Middle of the road:
    Modded Vox
    Modded Crybaby
    Certain stock Crybaby pedals (many of which still have buffer issues, some of which do not... none of which are true bypass to my knowledge)
    New Vox McCoy, which I believe is TB
    Budda
    Teese Wizard
    Fulltone Clyde
    Area 51

Pricey:
    Vintage Vox
    Mellowah (Keeley)
    Teese RMC3
    SilverMachine
    Mayer Vision Wah

That's most of what I saw. I'm not including some of the junk brands, and I'm not including some of the small builders that I just don't know enough about. You'll probably hear about them in this thread.

If you're a stickler for true bypass, the SilverMachine is not tb, but the guys who I know and trust on this stuff have said they absolutely can't hear any issues from its bypass (and these are ultra tone-snobs). The Budda has a bit of a volume boost when used on clean, so some people have had issues.

It seems like initially, the best idea would be to mod an existing wah. Voicing the wah better is very cheap. But true bypass + a better pot + a better inductor = not all that cheap anymore, especially if you have to buy a wah to start with. You can easily go $50-60 just with those options. More if you want to add mods for varying the tone on the fly, an LED, DC jack(if the wah you have doesn't have it) or want to try different inductors. You can easily end up well over $120 in mods... and the resale isn't good if you don't like what you've done. If you're just going to do one thing at a time, like true bypass (and it usually makes sense to do vocal mods and unity gain mods when you do this) it may make a lot of sense... should be able to get that done for around $20 or so (DIY). But the deeper you get into it, if you don't want to make it a project, it doesn't seem to me that it's the best thing to do. YMMV.

I went ahead and ordered a SilverMachine today. Now I can mod my Vox whenever I want, for whatever purpose I want. If I don't like the SilverMachine I will probably buy the Budda.

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

Oh yeah, and based on your pedals, you may need to get an output buffer for your wah (whichever one you choose) to have it work right with your fuzz. There's info about that stuff all over the place... I think Foxx makes a kit for one.

4. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Teese Wah:
    > RMC 2 or 3 if you are a tweaker
    > Wizard Wah if you are on a budget
    > Picture Wah if you want the best (IMO) classic wah tone available...

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Madsman wrote:
    "I think Foxx makes a kit for one."

Foxrox has the kit - easy to install yourself for $40 - $50 or so - works good.

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

Regarding the Wizard Wah... the purpose of that wah is not to shave costs, as I understand it. It's to make a wah to work with high gain sounds and humbuckers (and other high output pickups.) I've heard mixed reviews about it. Some LOVE it and some dislike it.

Gitpicker: Thanks for pointing that out... yeah, it's FoxRox.

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Some boutique fuzz makers are building their fuzzes with a buffer (i think in the case of some it's called an impedance or bias knob... not sure which).

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

Save yourself some cash. Get a Vox V847 ($99), a Fulltone pot from Area 51 ($23-25), a Carling DPDT 316PP Switch from Small Bear ($8.50) and a new inductor of your choice (Halo, Area 51, Fasel -$17-30)..... Or for a couple dollars more buy a Budda. If you have to use it with a Ge Fuzz Unit get the FoxRox Retro-Kit. It works wonders.

9. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

+1 for the Teese Picture Wah.

10. Madsman

Madsman Member

Yeah, that was my point before... $99 + $23 + $8.50 + $25 = $155.50, and it can cost a lot more than that. There's a lot on the market in that price range. And if you're going up closer to $200, a lot more, both new and used.

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

True.... I guess buy something nice that's used and call it a day... :D

12. Yek

Yek Member

I owned a Teese RMC2 and a RMC3.
    But I prefer the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe I have now.

13. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Thanks for all the great information, I'm going to look around in the used market and I may tinker with some mods myself now that I know what direction to head in. You guys are the best..... hey DEVIL-TONE I THINK i JUST BOUGHT A LOOPER ON EBAY FROM YOU.... SMALL WORLD / BIG TONE

14. modoc

modoc Guest

I'm into the Wizard. Had the RMC1, RMC3, Vox, Dunlop Crybaby & Hendrix. The Silvermachine sounded great...just a bit strange to use, felt kinda clunky under foot...like the old Morleys. Best all rounder would be Silvermachine but for my money Wizard is hard to beat.

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Great suggestions so far. I'm very please w/ the Area51 wah...

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Teese picture wah is awesome. Just make sure if you buy used that the fasal is shielded against outside noise. There is a material called nu-metal which I bought from a guy on the gear page which I used to shield my pedal. It really is a great sounding pedal, it nails the classic tone of all the records I listen to.

17. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

:dude The RMC Picture Wah is calling you. Listen..............it might be faint..........no, wait..........there it is.

I went through heaps of different wahs and the Picture Wah is staying. Cant say more than that.

18. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

To put this in persepctive for you here are the wah's that have come through my house: Dunlop 535Q, Crybaby classic, GCB 95 F, Fulltone Deluxe, TEESE RMC 3, TEESE RMC 2, TEESE Wizard,

I have tried but do not own: Dunlop Rack unit

I do not own but will buy: Jacques Trinity. It looks so cool, and I want an autofilter type and auto wah for GODSMACK songs................. I digress.

I play Rock, Metal and Blues. I primamrily use my wah's to accenuate my solo's and to be creative / add some flavor to normal parts (Lenny Kravits alway on the run intro, walk this way solo, Metallica solo's especially FIXXXER (LOAD RELOAD, Fade to black etc)

I know its been debated that pedalboards go wah--> Fuzz --OD etc, but I always put an OD in front of my wah. I like it and it has actually become more of my sound (not like I am a professional) but I typically keep a boost on before solos and then hit the wah. I like it this way, others do not.......... try for yourself.

I now own in my home today: Fulltone DELUXE, TEESE WIzard, Teese RMC3, TEESE RMC2

Fulltone Deluxe: I can't fault this wah. its solid and Mike fuller makes a good wah. The pain in the ass is getting used to teh longer throw of the wah. HOWEVER when you do, it so good, and very nice. I play into highgain, and keep in one the whacked setting as it has a throaty wah sound. with his FD2 or KOT on behind it, its awesome. i reccomend it. Another thing to note this is NOT a dunlop casing. Its a little larger. I now keep my wah on my pedalboard, so if you are pressed for space that may matter to you.

TEESE wIZARD: Ok I actually bought 2. The firt one I had sucked ass. It was not musical or dynamic. In the back (up) position it sounded like crap with any guitar. I then bought a second one cause I like some elelments of the first one, and though I'd go with 2 wah's (crazy right?). Well it turns out the second one is just as ballzy and has more throw! So its here forever.

RMC3: OK, this will not win me anyfans, but this is allot of wah. I mean sometimes too mcuh wah for what I need. I don't like to open stuff up and tweak it to death. That is what this wah is for. That being said its solid as well and I am not selling this one! As with the Wizard, I bought 2. Am I crazy, well yes whio isn't at this point... #### if you made it this far you are as crazy as I am =). That being said, I get a Jerry cantrell liquidy loose wah sound. Think man in the box / Angry chair / get born again type of ####. The wizard can do it as well, but not as well as the RMC3. The Fulltone does it well as well.

RMC2. I like it. It allows me to switch between all the wah settings QUICKLY. I STRESS QUICKLY. It does RMC1, RMC3 stock, some Itlian wah stuff etc. Its total overload for what I have already, but I am keeping it as its in a dunlop casing, and I like the footprint etc.

So here we go. You need to get 2 wah's for your mood. i reccomend the Wizard in all situations. So here is my reccomendation:

Quick changing, and you want to work it: I like the WIZARD, and the fULLTONE DELUXE (hear the boo's and hisses). Its one of the few pedals I will have forever.

Tweakability, and balls: WIZARD WAH and RMC3.

I play les pauls into a Mesa or an F-50.

As far as hendrix tone goes, I have faced the facts I will never sound near the experience, so I play the Chicago metal / rock version and all the wah's get you there. But then you need to ask yourself, will you ever really be there?

My pedalboard changes, but I primamrily use Analogman stuff.

However my current set up is a Les Paul--> Peterson-->FDII (mosfet)-->Wizard-->AM clone-->Jacques Prisoner--> Echotap-Mesa Rectoverb or F-50

People will swear by whatever, but at least you know where I am coming from. I don't have 1000's of effects and don't collect them either, BUT I do appreciate a solid wah!!!!!!

All are good, but at the end of the day I stand by the Fulltone Deluxe, and TEESE wizard. The RMC 3 is solid as well, but If I had a gun to my head I like the longer throw of the DELUXE. I wish there was a way to put the WIZARD circuit in my DELUXE casing and toggle between the two...

19. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

RMC3 here. I like to tweak for my own rig. :D