Best wah wah for high gain sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fernandopareta, Mar 12, 2006.

1. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

Hi, my friends, I need your help, which is the best wah pedal for high gain type sound, like Satch, Vai or Zakk Wylde.

Thank you

All the Best
    Fer
    www.fernandopareta.com.ar

2. Ariel Pozzo

Ariel Pozzo Member

Fer
    The best wah I've tried is the RMC Wizard...it's great for hi gain playing. It's kinda expensive but you cannot go wrong with it: Check it out here.
    Since I know you live in Buenos Aires, it's gonna be hard to get...so the next good thing is a Dunlop 535Q.
    If you wanna try a Wizard, let me know...I have one you can check out. :)

3. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Zakk has a wah out. I don't think its as nice as the wizard wah for what you want. You can also achieve similiar results with a good CLYDE replica and an overdrive before the wah (Fulltone, RMC etc)

Also check out the RMC 2 that can get the RMC1 AND Wizard sweep if you are set on a Dunlop case.

Again, for a strait up pedal, get the wizard. For a wah that get that growl get any wah, and throw an OD before it. You'll be pretty close....:AOK

4. drolling

drolling Member

Or you can take just about any wah and install a Foxrox booster kit. 45 bucks shipped from Dave Fox, and an easy install.

Stuck it in my old Vox 847 and it now slices straight thru' the thickest & sickest fuzztones stacked in front of my blackface fenders.

I imagine it would work just as well w/any hi gain multi channel amp..

5. covert

covert Member

The Snarling Dogs wahs are very nicely voiced, and have way too much gain, for my tastes.

6. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I like the Buddah "Bud-wah".

Great for high gain; is true bypass and not very expensive (I believe they are currently around $125)

7. Madsman

Madsman Member

I love the SilverMachine for that application, but it's pricey. I would go with the budda if I were on a budget.

8. b_rad

b_rad Supporting Member

Morley Tremonti Power Wah

I'm not kidding.

9. Troy Baer

Troy Baer Member

I was going to recommend that one as well. Say what you will about Tremonti as a guitar player, but his Morley sig. model wah is one of the best wahs I've heard in front of a high gain amp.

10. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

Thank you, for all your suggestions, Thanks to Ariel too, he was my teacher, he is a master guitarist and a cool guy, Nos vemos pronto Ariel, I`ll check your pedal when I can, ok?

Saludos a la flia.
    Best..
    Fer

11. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

All good responses, but you want to check a George Dennis wah... great sound and inexpensive. The RMC's sound like crap with high gain, I tried 'em and sold 'em... as well as the vox Clyde reissue... crap for high gain. The SilverMachine looks pretty cool, but a reliable source tells me it is a POS. See for yourself though... I don't own a wah as of now, but will buy a Dennis in a few weeks!

Best
    GG

12. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Supporting Member

+1 on the silver machine, best wah for high gain i've heard!

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

so what's it gonna be??

for high gain, Budda or Dunlop 535Q ?????

14. Madsman

Madsman Member

SilverMachine a POS, but Dennis is cool? :NUTS
    I bought the SM on recommendation from several friends who have it, one of whom is a gear doc. Couldn't be happier with it.

15. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

I should have stated for the cost. Sorry... my borrowed opinion... Like I said... A reliable source tells me the SilverMachine is a POS. I dont know... hence... "see for yourself".

I actually considered getting a SM, but after wasting $285 on my last Teese, I thought "Why not save $175 and buy a pedal that sounds just as good." The Dennis sounds as good or better than any Wah out there, the parametric can dial in just about any Wah sound. Any person would hardly know a difference if you took the Pepsi challenge.

GG