best way of getting good fender clean tones at home volumes

steviecapt

my guitar is a prs se custom with bare knuckle pickups, abraxus in the bridge and mule in the neck, im looking to get good clean fender type tones at home levels, would it be best to just get an amp like a fender blues junior 3 15 watt, or a blues breaker 7 watt, my problem is having good tones at low volumes, or should i just bite the bullet and buy a strat with single coils and use that through my boss gt100 multi fx unit going into my studio monitors, i only need the clean tones as the boss gt 100 is ok for all my distortion side of things, or any other amps like a yamaha thr10c, would any of these get me to those lovely fender clean tones.

satisphied

I get good fender cleans with my fender deluxe reverb at about 2.8 on the volume knob. All you need is a fender amp. Blues Jrs are great from what I hear, you may also want to look at a silverface champ, they can be had for under $500 and are 5 watts.

drri on 2 1/2
home volume??? YES
People sleeping in house volume?? no
My drri sounds like butt any lower than that

for me if I cant turn it at least that loud (same with peavey classis on 2 or hrdx on 2 ) I use headphones and my microcube

I can hear acoustic sound of strings if I play lower volume than listed above
I HATE the acoustic plink plunk sound of electric guitar strings, even semi and hollow electrics, that might be louder, but still lack the sound a good acoustic guitar has

swiveltung

The Junior is not what I would call traditional Fender clean tones as it's EL84's which have a sound of their own.

Silent Sound

Most any BF style Fender amp should work. Just turn the volume down. The thing about clean tones is they don't need tons of volume to do what they do, unlike OD tones.

One thing to note, however, is your ears don't hear the same way at low levels as they do at high levels. The bass will sound much thinner if the volume gets low enough, even though the same amount of bass is there. It's not an amp issue, it's an ear issue. Check out the Fletcher-Munson curve or Equal Loudness Contours for more info on that. But a great way around that, if you can manage it, is to just put your ear closer to the speaker. Volume drops off pretty fast with distance. So getting the amp up in the air, near your ear, is a great way to increase the volume you hear, without increasing the volume that others near you hear. It's the same principle as headphones. They can have tons of bass and sound crazy loud if your ear is right next to them, but pull them just a few feet away, and they sound thin and quiet.

71strat

Used Fender Cyber Twin. Can be had for $500, and youll wonder why you didn't get 1 sooner.

Works great for either home use, or Gigging levels.

Its been good enough for Steve Winwood since 2004. He uses 2 of them.

They also have a Headphone Jack, Stereo/Mono, Line Level, Effects Loop, MIDI, SPDIF, and some pretty good built in effects. I believe they are either Roland/Boss. Something tells me Roland, but I cant remember.

Ive had mine since they 1st came out in 2001, and would buy 2 more if I had the money. This has been my grab, and Go amp since 2001, and everyone freaks out when they find out what it is.

Also the CT isn't really a Modeling amp. The Effects are.

The Tone Path is 100% Analog, and has a Virtual Circuit Board. Instead of being a Sample, the amp Configures the Circuits to the Values of what the original amps had.

But for $500 or less this is a hard amp to beat.

Id buy 1 of these used, ( $500 ) before I would buy a new/used TRRI.

I also have a 69 x Blackfaced/ODS mod in 2010..... Dual Showman, and for ease of use ect, replaced the Showman for grab and go 15 years+ ago. X Metro LTD ED GMP45 Head.

The CT is really a great amp, and works loud or soft. Fender cleans are the best thing about the amp.

I also like to run the Metro/Showman/CT together.

Other than a Wah/Drive theres not much you need to cover many bases.

As long as you're not buying a Twin, you should be fine playing any classic Fender BF in the day time. They sound good at 2 or even lower, to my ears. That being said, I would focus more on the tone of the specific amps. I wouldn't have thought so, but there really is a noticeable difference in tone between these amps, even playing clean at low volumes.

stratplexi

Blackface or Silverface Princeton or Deluxe Reverb is what you are after. I recommend an attenuator and turning the amp up to 4 (with a Strat). Believe me, the sound and feel will be glorious.

gearscrubs

THR10C is a good choice. Sounds good at conversational level (60-70 dB), which most tube amps won't.

brbadg

Used Fender Cyber Twin. Can be had for $500, and youll wonder why you didn't get 1 sooner.

Works great for either home use, or Gigging levels.

Its been good enough for Steve Winwood since 2004. He uses 2 of them.

They also have a Headphone Jack, Stereo/Mono, Line Level, Effects Loop, MIDI, SPDIF, and some pretty good built in effects. I believe they are either Roland/Boss. Something tells me Roland, but I cant remember.

Ive had mine since they 1st came out in 2001, and would buy 2 more if I had the money. This has been my grab, and Go amp since 2001, and everyone freaks out when they find out what it is.

Also the CT isn't really a Modeling amp. The Effects are.

The Tone Path is 100% Analog, and has a Virtual Circuit Board. Instead of being a Sample, the amp Configures the Circuits to the Values of what the original amps had.

But for $500 or less this is a hard amp to beat.

Id buy 1 of these used, ( $500 ) before I would buy a new/used TRRI.

I also have a 69 x Blackfaced/ODS mod in 2010..... Dual Showman, and for ease of use ect, replaced the Showman for grab and go 15 years+ ago. X Metro LTD ED GMP45 Head.

The CT is really a great amp, and works loud or soft. Fender cleans are the best thing about the amp.

I also like to run the Metro/Showman/CT together.

Other than a Wah/Drive theres not much you need to cover many bases.

Good post.Looks like Steve has given up on the Cyber though.He's using some kind of tweed amp now.

sliberty

Joyo American pedal. This is a cheap knockoff of the Tech 21 Blonde, which emulates various eras of Fender amps. It does a good job, and costs next to nothing.

Reactions: huw

mortatort

Silver Supporting Member
Any old (60's or 70's) Fender amp or PRRI/DRRI with the volume down low and the guitar volume at max. Even a 70's Twin turned really low sounds sweet at low low volumes IME.

steviecapt

thanx for all replys, ive recently sold my tube amp it was just too loud to get a good distortion tone from, how about a roland blues cube, or the new jazz chorus 22, doesnt need to be a tube amp, i would only need the amp for fender clean tones, also got a yamaha thr10x, so dont know how good the thr10c would be to get close to a clean fender sound

Torren61

Why don't you just go with something like Guitar Rig or Amplitube or any of the many computer amp sims? You should already have an audio interface, computer and headphones. Then you can do all of the things you said you wanted to do at volumes that wouldn't wake anyone in the next room.

rstites

Old SF/BF Champs are great for clean tones at reasonable home volumes. (This amp doesn't change circuits in there, so buy the SF and save some $.) They sound reasonably at conversation levels. To really open up, even that little 6W gets beyond "people sleeping in the next room" levels pretty quickly. Hell, I've gigged my old Champ quite a bit with a good PA. Also, they came with crap speakers. I put a Weber in mine.

Of course, it's arguable how close they sound to the "classic Fender clean" as they're a little class A amp, but I'm not convinced that it really matter until you turn the bigger amps up enough to get beyond home practice levels.

steviecapt

can,t stand using headphones, after looking at some amps the roland jazz chorus 40 or 22 look nice, and would play nice with my gt100, hopefully, should get off my backside and go try one out though?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom