Best way/place to sell vintage guitars

Have a half dozen or so hollow bodies ('68 345, '67 175, '68 Barney Kessel, etc) that I'm looking to sell sooner than later. Kind of feel I'm nearing the point where my generation (I'm 58) will start losing interest in this stuff as we focus more on Social Security and less on our collections. I've bought/ sold a ton of stuff here, some on EBay and Reverb, and Craig's List as well. So where would you guys recommend for the most $, and least hassle with bozos?

JCM 800

TGP would be a great place to start. I've had excellent dealings on Reverb.

I would avoid Cowtown. :hide

russ

Silver Supporting Member
Most $, and least hassle is a tough combination.
Least hassle ( or hustle) will typically yield lower bucks.
I'm in the same boat as you, and look forward to the responses.
Sorry I wasn't any help.

sa1126

Sell local or trade in. Buying vintage online is a crap shoot and I bet you will be hassled.

Also have a '64 P bass that I really don't feel like pulling the neck off to show the date of manufacture. Guessing that's a must along with pulling pickguards to show date codes on pots? I hate the thought of "violating" the guitars, all of which I bought in the 90's and have not taken anything apart in 25 years.

vltjd

Gold Supporting Member
Least hassle is consign, which translates to less bucks. There are one or two places that would seem most ideal for your gear. But, the vintage/high end market already has seen a drop in interest so it may take a while to sell what you have. Patience will be required.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
With current return policy and risk of late hit "not as described" claims, IMO any transaction involving PayPal is disfavored. You don't really have a done deal for 6 months with the ridiculous return policy.

Based on that IMO a CL / cash sale for 15-20% less than comparable eBay sales can be fine with me for the sake of finality.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Never dealt with Jay Levin in the Philadelphia area? He was one of the original vintage guitar dealers in the area. Don't know if he is still around and doing that.

Neal's Guitars now located in Broomal. Tinicum Guitar Barn? Fred Oster and Vintage instruments in CC.The semi-annual Philadelphia show should provide some leads, or rent a table and sell them all to some guy from Japan....

Darl

Have a half dozen or so hollow bodies ('68 345, '67 175, '68 Barney Kessel, etc) that I'm looking to sell sooner than later. Kind of feel I'm nearing the point where my generation (I'm 58) will start losing interest in this stuff as we focus more on Social Security and less on our collections. I've bought/ sold a ton of stuff here, some on EBay and Reverb, and Craig's List as well. So where would you guys recommend for the most $, and least hassle with bozos?
Most have already lost interest in those models unfortunately. In semi or hollow world it's easiest to sell a nice 58-60 dotneck 335, and the rest ain't so easy unless they're stupid cheap. I would go for the blanket approach, use eBay, Reverb, Gbase, and the big guitar forums. The ease of selling is all about the price. Those who hold out for the last drop of dollars will wait for many months and go through many tire kickers. Those who can stomach giving the next guy a decent entry point where he feels he has some wiggle room in his investment will find it MUCH easier to sell, will find happier transactions, and will get the stuff out the door. Dealers are not your friends when you're selling, they need to make a living off you (nothing wrong with that), so don't bother with them unless you want to sell everything tomorrow at 50% of low retail.

chrisjnyc

Are people selling vintage gear on TGP? I have sold a lot of pedals, but never anything over $500 on TGP

Trending Topics