• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best way to clean Tolex?

Maven

Gold Supporting Member
I'd love to restore my amp with that new amp shine...A little soapy water? I'm assuming Armor all is a no-no...

Hultas

I tried when I threw up all over my Bluesbreaker while I was drunk. Tried with soapy water and stuff a few times, but it was really hard. I took it apart and then threw it in the bath tub. Doesn't smell as awful as it did before.

Maven

Gold Supporting Member
Pretty sure I'm not going to be putting it in the bath tub but thanks for the idea:jo

mark norwine

1.) soapy water. Mostly "soapy".....it's the surfactant that does the cleaning...the water is just there to "carry". Avoid getting water under the tolex edges, as the hide glue is water soluble.

2.) saddle soap. Work it!

3.) Armorall.

Your amp will look brand new.

Maven

Gold Supporting Member
1.) soapy water. Mostly "soapy".....it's the surfactant that does the cleaning...the water is just there to "carry". Avoid getting water under the tolex edges, as the hide glue is water soluble.

2.) saddle soap. Work it!

3.) Armorall.

Your amp will look brand new.

Mark, are you saying use all of these in this order or choose one of them? Saddle Soap? never heard of that...

TweeDLX

Mark, are you saying use all of these in this order or choose one of them? Saddle Soap? never heard of that...
Choose one...saddle soap is a waxy substance you rub on leather that cleans and restores it.

Mike

Structo

I would use a cleaner for upholstery or mild soapy water.

Use a stiff bristle brush to get down into the tolex texture.

Wipe with a damp cloth then wipe dry.
Unless it is the type of dirt from years of smoky bars it should clean right up.

WaltC

Simple Green (cut 50%) to clean it
Armor All to shine it up (assuming it is tolex and not fabric)

uberschall

Silver Supporting Member
I tried when I threw up all over my Bluesbreaker while I was drunk. Tried with soapy water and stuff a few times, but it was really hard. I took it apart and then threw it in the bath tub. Doesn't smell as awful as it did before.
Wow!! :thud

Ronsonic

I once had a Nord synth that someone had ralphed on / into on my bench. I'm all about trying to help a brother out, but I had to report the failure as not covered under warranty.

OliverGuitars

I like Lemon Oil, I use to clean fretboards at work, but it shines and cleans in one step, you just have to keep rubbing until it goes away completely!

JDJ

Silver Supporting Member
Windex (non-amonia) + Scotchbrite sponge + elbow grease = clean tolex

Keyser Soze

Lexol makes/sells a combination cleaner/protectant for vinyl called Vinylex - I like it better than Armor All (which looks great for about a week, but then rapidly gets dingy looking.)

Fuchsaudio

Remove chassi (duh). I actually apply a light coat of the stuff you put on car tires to make them shine. I use a cube of foam rubber as an applicator. Wipe off excess with an old t-shirt. Looks better and lasts longer than Armor-All. For cleaning (heavy duty very bad news filthy), Simple Green and a scrub brush. Water it down, to this outside. You may need to reglue a tolex seam here or there, and a little super-glue (brush applicator) works fine for that. Remove speakers and/or baffle to avoid possibly damaging that, as well as the reverb pan.

And: If you are a repairman, do not do the extreme levels of cleaning without a customers permission! I did a complete scrub down on an old Deluxe, knobs, panel, tolex, inside and out, and it looked near-new. I had my a$$ handed to me for "washing away 40 years of mojo".....shucks. :(

uberschall

Silver Supporting Member
Lexol makes/sells a combination cleaner/protectant for vinyl called Vinylex - I like it better than Armor All (which looks great for about a week, but then rapidly gets dingy looking.)
I just tried this stuff on both dark and light tolex, and it worked great. Not too much "wet look" too. BTW, I couldn't find it in stores, and the best price I found after much online searching was direct from the manufacturer- under $10 shipped.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
And: If you are a repairman, do not do the extreme levels of cleaning without a customers permission! I did a complete scrub down on an old Deluxe, knobs, panel, tolex, inside and out, and it looked near-new. I had my a$$ handed to me for "washing away 40 years of mojo".....shucks. :(
Filed under "no good deed...", go figure you try and do a nice thing... adding value to your service. Did you offer to ralph on it for him?

Trending Topics