Best Way To Clean Up Power Cables on Underside of Pedaltrain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Csapo, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Finally got my Pedaltrain Pro in pretty good shape (are we ever done?). The top side is looking pretty darn clean but now the underside looks like crap. Plus with loose power cables, I would hate for one to snag on something and pull out. I've got a VL PP2 w/right angle cables and a DC Brick mounted under the PT Pro.

So, I'm looking for the best and or creative/flexible way to clean it up.

Pics appreciated.

Thanks

2. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

The pic is without power cables, but you get the idea (actually, it almost looks exactly the same with power cables, except there is a bit more color). Just buy a hundred small/medium zip ties from Home Depot, or your local hardware store, and zip tie the big cable areas together; then route the smaller/lone wires and cables onto those highly-wired areas. After you get a few big wires tied together, it'll start to shape up.

The only disclaimer is that I build a bit of slack into my patch cables when I made them, so it was easy for me to reroute some of the cables to meet the other cables (to make it look neater). I can see how someone with less cable slack might have a big more difficulty tightening things up.

EDIT: One of the best things about this method is that you can easily redo it if you get a new pedal, rearrange things on top, etc. I think I've switched 4 or 5 pedals and arrangements since I started, and I've had no problems at all.

[​IMG]

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

I use velcro for this purpose. I covered the bottom with loop velcro (same as with the top) and then I use two-sided velcro strapping to stow the power cables underneath. This way making changes is fast and easy.

4. codyj84

codyj84 Member

I use black duct tape. Hides everything..... Cut strips the length of the sections and it looks pretty clean.

5. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

There are black cables ties at the Home Depot. They also have, with the cables ties, black plastic mounting brackets for cable ties that have a foam tape on one side. They are 1" in diameter and fit perfectly underneath the metal rails that make a "T" or "L" shape. They are hidden, and relatively easy to remove (for tape) when you decide to change stuff up. It works well. I think someone posted a pic of them doing it (along with cable management wrap which topped it off nice) but I can't seem to find it...

6. Sixa

Sixa Member

Hey thisfire'
    What is the White stuff on the bottom of all your pedals :confused:....... white Velcro????????? :jo

7. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Thanks all. Great suggestions.

I think I have a plan, probably using a combo of the above...

BTW, finally upgraded my PT Pro with industrial strength velcro and have not looked back. Ditched the dang zip ties, which were scratching the heck out of my pedals.

Pics soon.

8. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Haha, yep yep. I don't like the velcro that was included with the Pedaltrain; the adhesive didn't seem to work as well, and the velcro side didn't stick as well as the white stuff I use (although I still use the included black velcro on the Pedaltrain itself). The adhesive on the white velcro is more of a rubbery tacky substance that doesn't hurt the pedals as much. Of course, this is all IMHO...if you'd like to try it, it's VELCRO brand "Industrial Strength." Only downside is that it's kind of pricey.