Best way to DI/slave from an amp?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
A friend wants some info on how to run through fx, with standard, 1/4" input/output, then out to the PA, from his guitar amp.

H&K Redbox or the Behringer equivalent, as DI's, are fine, but they offer only XLR, balanced outs.

Is there a DI box suitable for speaker connection, with instrument level, 1/4" non TRS, high impedance, outs?

Do I have to build an addon box to wire the XLR to 1/4?:messedup
Fewer connections and devices would be much better.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Look for the Cab-Tone. It has 1/4 out , XLR out, speaker sim or not, phase inversion. It'd be perfect. Got mine at Mesa store in Hollywood. (Not a load box)

jdh

Silver Supporting Member
Tone Terrific,
If you are handy with a soldering iron Jensen Transformers has the perfect circuit. The one thing about this process is the signal slaved-out will have the treble boosted beyond belief, so some sort of low pass filter/high frequency attenuator is required. The best thing about putting a transformer in the signal path is all chances of ground loops will be completely eliminated.
Dennis

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
No power attenuator required, or wanted, and the Redbox already has cabinet compensation and an iso xfer to XLR, but I want hi impedance available to single conductor 1/4" without any rebuilding or extra gadgets.
It seems weird that these things have no 1/4 line out.

cap47

It depends what you want to do. I run a stereo DD-7 and plug a line from "B" output to a second amp input or if I just want to record my amp, I run it into my M-Audio Fast Track 1/4 input from that same output. Works great for me!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Why is unbalanced and 1/4" a requirement? It's always better to use a balanced output.
You can use a XRL to 1/4" adapter though if you want to...

Gar B

Platinum Supporting Member
You can use one of the impedence converter xlr to 1/4" plug connectors on the RedBox output, it works fine, I do it all the time.

GB

Gar B

Platinum Supporting Member
I use a double female 1/4" coupler after the xlr to 1/4" plug converter cable, and then regular guitar cords of any length.

GB

Trending Topics

Top Bottom