• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best way to eq my powered speakers?

Cuthbert

I have the simplest of setups, mic into a mic mechanic into Alto TS112A, linked to another TS112A, and a TS110 for a monitor. This is a great inexpensive setup with good volume but sometimes the vocals sound boxy or woofy, lacking in clear highs. Is there an easy solution for this?

335guy

Does the vocals sound boxy and woofy with the Mic Mechanic turned off? If not, then there's the problem. If they still sound poor without the Mic Mechanic, then perhaps a simple equalizer or little mixer with some EQ. What mic are you using? It might be the mic you're using. Also, when I used those Alto's, they naturally sounded a little "boxy" to me. Equalization is probably the simplest thing one could do to change the tone character of those speakers, outside of getting a different mic.

Floyd Eye

Those boxes (TS112A) do require some EQ, but it can be handled with a channel strip. Provided you have a decent mixer.

Seegs

Sorry for being so harsh but maybe you can't polish a turd...

I was on a serious non-existent budget and needed to replace my seriously underpowered and boxy EV/QSC passive PA system...

I went and auditioned active PA speakers (QSC, EV, Mackie, Yamaha, FBT and many more) until I found the one I liked best...RCA art 710a MkII...

I couldn't afford to buy four (2 tops and 2 monitors) of them so I bought one and used it as my monitor with my bass players QSC K12s...

When I parted ways with my bass player I went out and bought a second 710 to use for my tops...to tide me over I bought a used Mackie SRM450v2 for my not so crucial floor monitor position and a used Mackie 1801 for my sub...when funds permit I will gradually replace the Mackies with all RCAs as they sound killer...

I went out and checked out mixers and walked out with a Soundcraft EFX8 and I have a killer sounding small PA for my acoustic and electric trio for small to medium venues...no boxiness and no outboard eq other than my mixer is needed...

Depending on venue I can use just my tops and monitor for small venues with excellent results and for larger halls I bring my sub...compact...easy to setup and portable with tons of clean headroom...

I have been asked to do sound for other bands and by venues using my PA system...

I think the Altos might be ok for monitors but I would look elsewhere for tops...

It took me awhile to realise that I needed to invest in upgrading my PA system...I'm a guitar player and would rather spend my money on guitar toys...my investment in my vocals and band sounding good has paid off in that we are starting to get noticed and get more gig offers...I charge extra... over and above my normal band fee for bringing and setting up my PA...

Allthumbs56

Are you also putting an acoustic guitar through this setup? I'd definitely suggest (at least) a mixer of some kind. I use an Alto ZMX122FX (cheap but does the job) as a mixer into a pair of TS110a's and I think it's a great low cost setup for lower volume applications. The 3-bands on each channel strip really help - but I would make sure I have a graphic EQ on my next one as sometimes I'd just like that extra control. I don't know how you manage just plugging straight into the speakers unless it's just for use as a public address.

Cuthbert

Thanks all, yes it sounds boxy with or without the mic mechanic. I feel like a sucker for buying it. It would be better if you could change the delay time, it's only one long repeat. Sometimes I use acoustic sometimes not. I'll bring out the Mackie Mixer I guess. It will no longer be the easiest PA in the world to set up though. I guess I should have saved up for QSC's.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
Just get a very small mixer with EQ. It's affordable and the simplest solution.

PS: graphic is not needed at all; get a board with at least a sweepable midrange. Parametric EQ is dramatically better for your application and tailoring individual signals. Graphic is more for overall adjustment to room.

Yer Blues

It might be the speakers. I picked up one of those Altos and could immediately tell it needed more adjusting than the JBL PRX stuff I have.
I picked up an A&H Zed 10FX on the emporium for pretty cheap and it's very easy to use/setup. If your Mackie is a similar size mixer it shouldn't add to much to your setup time and the extra EQ and FX will probably be worth the extra 5 minutes it takes to setup. :)

Trending Topics